Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Bob, any chance that there could be a YouTube video of your baby's first breath? It would be really neat to be able to share the "birth".

2. Old28

Old28

Bob, hope all is well with daughter in laws after her surgery.

Nice that you got to spectate some at the Meltdown Drags, 500 cars is a great turn out.

I agree with "RacerRoy3" we need that start-up on film, get a friend with a phone. Pictures With Sound keeps use going. Your getting real close.

3. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]

Got the engine running yesterday. Sorry I didn't record the birth. Consider this run today the christening. I checked compression before starting it and it ranges from 200-210. Topped off the trans and fixed the shifter. After this recorded run and after the trans was topped off I ran it again and revved it higher. It has a 650 double pumper Holley on it and as the secondaries began to open it really came alive.The exhaust got a little black so it appears the double pumper might not be the way to go. I might disable the secondaries til I get it moving up and down the drivway well. Probably Saturday.

Click on the pic to start the video. If you get only a band at the bottom of the frame click the enlarge icon at the bottom right of the frame.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  4. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Ive got a 650 on mine also close to same size what jets does it have in it.?? Mine works quite well you can fiddle with the accel pump for a weaker shot

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  5. Old28

Old28

Sounds real good, nice to hear it run after a long rebuild. I don't think the Holley 650 DP is to big as a friend of mine runs a 750 on his Chevy 292 L6 that is set up about like your motor. Maybe just the Jet Combination or the Accelerator Pump setting.

Are you going to hold camera in one hand & steer with the other for the driveway test? :eek:

6. Bob, sounds good. Looking forward to seeing some on track footage!

7. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]

Managed to make a couple easy runs up the driveway. It left a little rubber with very little urging. The converter seems loose enough to give me a good launch.

Ihave not had the carb apart. I had it on a 377 sbc. I was thinking a vacuum secondary carb would be easier to run but with you guys here having experience I'll stick with the DP.

Tom, getting out of this thing got tougher since last summer. Gonna need a spring loaded seat or a battery powerd winch.

8. Old28

Old28

Nice driveway rubber lay downs. I really think a good kit rebuild, correct jets & accel pump setting for your motor will take care of your problem.

I'm thinking a folding cage, quick pin like door side bars (All Grade 8 for sure). Would love to see tech guys on this one. Maybe a tilt (low rider air system) for the seat. Got to be a better way as we age along with or cars.

9. RoadRunner5

RoadRunner5

That big Ford sounds great. When do you get to try it at a track?

10. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

Bob, I wish that we could of talked at the Meltdown, thank you for the compliment!!!! Looks like the old Flathead will have to be really on to run with your new setup! I sure hope we get to run together sometime!!! The Silver Bullet is looking great, you do nice work!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]

Bob, I doubt I can hang with your flathead. Hopng to have some fun in this car though. I'm pleased at the throttle response. The double pumper might be okay as is.

Tom, I really have to think of a good relatively painless way to get out of the car.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  12. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Bob, I just got back in town and watched your video three times. It brought tears to my eyes. I have the air conditioning installed in my new shop and hope to have the rewiring completed today. Then the additional lighting and some insulation. The suspended gas heater will be here next month. I hope to get serious by Labor Day. You and 2b-banjo are talking about having too much fun!

13. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Finally made it to Test & Tune today. Made 5 runs starting very gently. Best run was:
    Reaction time .006, 60 foot 1.908, 1/8 Mile 8.22 @ 83.74 MPH, 1/4 Mile 13.11 @ 97.10 MPH.

About 3/4 of each run was made without getting into the gas far enough to open the secondaries in the 650 Holley double pumper. It got too rich very quickly. Actually had wet exhaust pipes after the run.

The last run I got into the throttle much deeper and sooner and it slowed down 3 tenths. The car feels like it really wants to run strong.

A friend came along and his help unloading and loading the car and getting me buckled in made the day much easier.

Any advice on tuning the carb would be greatly appreciated.

Racer Roy3, I'm pulling for you.

14. Old28

Old28

Well Bob, sounds like you had a fun T&T. 13.11 first time out with this combination must have made you fell like the work was worth the time. You get this carb problem fixed and I know this car will run low 12's to high 11's even with the mild motor mods.

What are the Primary & Secondary jet sizes? What is free play gap on the accelerator pump Rod? What color is the spring on the pump rod? What is the total timing after you have it running? What is the fuel pressure at idal & open? PM me the information and I will check some of my past setting.

And last but not least, a .006 RT not to bad for an old dude, those kids better look out.

15. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

16. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow Bob, When you get the carb thing sorted out you will be knocking on the door to the 11's for sure. That flaty better watch out.

17. bobw

bobw

I've heard it said that a reaction time like that is just a bad job of red lighting. My next best was a .048 and I was really happy with that.
    Tom, I'm running it in two weeks when the Minn. Street Rod Assn rents the Brainerd track. It's free and members only. That's one week after the national (NHRA) event so it will be sticky.
    I'm going to pop the Holley 3310 from my Crosley (406 sbc) on it and let the vacuum secondaries decide when the engine gets more gas. I can adjust that with diaphram spring changes. I'll bring jets, squirters, etc for the 650 DP is case I have time to try it again.
    I need to install a tach, fuel pressure gauge and manifold vacuum port before I can really get a handle on what I've got and what changes are needed. When I get that far I'll send you the information. Thanks in advance for your help.

18. Old28

Old28

Sounds like a plan. If you have a power valve block off, take out the 5.5 or 6.5 PV and run it blocked off. It may be as simple as a bad PV that is leaking gas in all the time or opening to soon. If you don't have a block off you can get a holley one at NAPA.

That 3310 may work just fine for some full on passes. Good luck at Brainerd, nice to see that the season has started in your area. PM me when you get back and I will give you a call.

19. Bob, thanks for the update.

20. bobw

bobw

Went through the Holley 3310 I took off my Crosley. Checked and recorded everything. Replaced a few parts and bought some spares. Put it on the car and it fired right up and sounded good. I hope the neighbors go away for the weekend so I can do some driveway testing before the event at Brainerd the following weekend.

21. Old28

Old28

Sounds sweet, let use know how the driveway tests go. You may have to send the neighbors out to a dinner on you.

22. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    The Minnesota Street Rod Assn. rented Brainerd international Raceway for a weekend of free drag racing for members, of which I am one. I managed two runs before I had to leave for a family event. First run was poor as the car bogged slightly off the line then spun the tires. I cruised down the strip and got ready to try again.
    The run pictured here went better. Car left the line with no muss or fuss. It felt a little lazy however. I kept waiting for the rpm's to reach my shift point. Someting was wrong. Yes folks, I made a high gear only run. Just like the big boys.
    Out of the seven runs I've put on the car in it's two outings, this run was the best at a 13.08 @106. Never had the pedal on the floor either. I seem to have a mental block about that.
    The flathead powered A sedan in the other lane has been around for many years. My car was a second and a half quicker and I had a .141 reaction time versus a sleepy .502 in the other lane.

Maybe at Test & Tune in a couple weeks I'll get my driving act together. The car wants to go quite a bit quicker.

23. Old28

Old28

Hay Bob, I have always said that a "Day In The Seat Is Better Than A Day In The Shop".

Glad you got to make a few passes and start getting the bugs out of the new setup. I'm sure that you were hopeing for more (all racers are), but now you have base line to build from. Full out, peddle to the floor, I know you can run mid to high 11's and have a ton of fun. Keep working at it, your headed in the right direction.

Got to love that Altered Sedan, What a great weekend.

Is there a site that one can see photo's of the car's that were out there racing?

24. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Say Bob, Have you had any opportunities to work out the little bugs and put down some serious times?

25. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    This racing season started late and ended early for me. Time, money and other activities caused me to put the car away til next spring. A total of 7 runs across two events culminating in a high gear only best run of 13.08 @ 106mph. Not a bad baseline for next season. Hopefully there's another second or more to be found through tuning and driving next season.

26. Old28

Old28

Ya Bob, old mother nature really had it out for your neck of the woods. I'm leaving Tuesday for MI to see Grandkids swim & play football for two weeks, Last Friday Football game was cancelled until Saturday because of Thunder Storms and Lighting in the area. You guys have had constant weather, Bakersfield has had over 42 days of 100+ heat and no rain this summer.

Hope you get an early race season next year. I still think mid to high 11's are in your future.

Did you get the PM I sent you last week? If not I will send it again. Have a worm winter.

27. Old28

Old28

Sent you a PM

28. I need to go to the SSFR next year. Your car looks great lined up with that sedan.

29. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Yes plumbid, you should attend the SSFR next year. It's not the most exciting race but if you know people it is a great time to visit and watch cars go down the track.
    My first run was against Ed Stulc Jr. in the 302 Jimmy powered Chevy coupe. Unfortunately he had problems so it wasn't much of a race.

30. Bob, what fuel pump are you using?