Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Grenades

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by manicmachanic, Jan 16, 2016.

1. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Who has heard of Scat machine and Clegg? Seems prices are too good to be true. But then again where are the name brand guys getting there shit?

2. mike bowling

mike bowling

Scat is part of Clegg Automotive and Machine, founded in 1972 and based in Utah. Big outfit; Scat Rotating Assemblies are in most of the big auto parts catalogs- Summit , Jeg's. They do a lot of race oriented work.

Probably prices are good because of large scale turnover.

3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Scat has been a big name for a while. When I was into European stuff awhile back, they were the go-to for rotating assemblies and had been well established for a long time. I now have a flathead with one of their 286 stroker kits in it and it hasn't been anything but great, although the machine shop that built the motor did end up doing balancing work on the supposedly pre-balanced unit.

4. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

But will the parts handle big power? Doing a blown 500 Cad. They have Hbeam rods. Any good? Just makes me wonder wear the name brand guys are getting their shit. BIG PRICE DIFFERENCE.

5. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I have used scat cranks and rods in high rpm air cooled vw stuff for years. it seems to hold up great.

6. _
    I have a friend who builds high $ , high HP VW motors and he uses their rotating assembly for all his motors.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Ask them...Scat has a good record as far as I know, whole bunch of factory Ford stroker crate engines with their rotating stuff in them....

8. mike bowling

mike bowling

Ah, yes, 1-800- numbers to the rescue

9. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Thanks. The prices just seemed to good to be true. But still a set of H beam rods for $492?

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have a 331 Ford Scat stroker kit in my Ford engine, and it has been great. I abuse it regularly, my tach shift pointer is set at 7,000 and I have actually forgotten to shift a few times and gone to 8,000 with no problems.

I had the choice of Eagle or Scat, and after some research I settled on Scat. 8 years and no regrets.

Don

11. My blown 406, has a light weight Scat crank and has been excellent . Car is street driven and raced all summer. Sees some good boost and 8000RPM alot.

12. afaulk

afaulk

The Scat stuff must be pretty good because there are multiple reports of counterfeit Scat products. Buy from reputable sources only.

13. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Building a blown Cad. Just a bit worried. Been out HiPerf stuff for a number of years. So new names and to me, really low prices scare me. Bought a set of Super Rods 35 years ago and then they were $470.

14. We are running a scat rotating assembly in a blown 572 chevy. Went straight to the manufacturer but I normally would have gone to Summit, I have been buying from them since they were still in the garage. We did send the crank back several times before we were happy with the crank but unless you are as anal about lower ends as I am you probably won't have that problem. They were easy to deal with the rep just said, "Well we'll work until we make you happy." I would buy another scat crank if I were building a motor for myself. ;)

So what is it about grenades that you want to know? is this some sort of clandestine post and am I now on a watch list?

Jet96 likes this.
  15. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Saw my buddy break a crank in half. Trans blew out from under the car, with the drive shaft. Took out the master cylinder and brake lines along with a front tire and a slick. Only a 4cyl Pont.
    I am EXTREMELY anal about bottom ends. HAHA! No need to turn a block, frame and suspension into junk. And do an end over on the big end. Seen it happen.
    To me it just seem that building engines with cheap parts is like building top fuel. Grenades.

16. milo1303s

milo1303s

17. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

I know the site says 50 years. How come I've never heard of them before? Not my first trip to the whore house.What about 512 inches w/ 15lbs. of boost at 8k?

18. The 572 in question runs 8 psi on the street and 18 on the track. It is a little harder to build a street strip car ( mostly strip) than it is to build a pure racer. You have to use durable parts, on a pure stripper you can get away with aluminum rods and the like not so much on one that may drive 300 miles one way to race. The chevy is not a nitro burner, but I have seen a couple of cars running POP that have a scat and have held together just fine.

I have not idea why you would not have heard of SCAT before? Maybe if you are unsure about the crank you could try a Callies (sp) they also have a good name. I have not seen one recently nor do I know how the QC at their company has weathered the new millennium but Keith Black used to market a real fine caddy crank as well and maybe they still do be worth picking up the phone.

19. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Not to worried about the crank. CMD says the stocker will handle it. They're running a stocker in the "Flash" with two giant turbos. Worried about rods. But I don't want to break the bank. Still, $492 for a set of rods?

20. If the caddy already has a steel/forged lower end than a good polishing should make the rods hold up just fine and 5 Benjamins for rods isn't much. I can remember the day when 700 was common for aftermarket rods even for an SBC. The rods we were running in Netz' prostocker ran us 1200 clear back in the '70s. The price of aftermarket rods has really come down. I'll bet that they are not a common piece for a big caddy either.

21. You must have been hiding under a rock or something ;) SCAT has been a well known brand and owner Tom Lieb is an old time Hot Rodder! He's had his 29 Roadster for 59 years! I've used, and sold, SCAT parts since the mid 1970's

But I don't think SCAT is "part of Clegg Automotive and Machine, founded in 1972 and based in Utah". I am pretty sure that Clegg is just a dealer for SCAT.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  22. mike bowling

mike bowling

"Hotroddon" is correct; ^^^^^ ( crow will be the main course tonight!)
    SCAT is in California; their name came up on Clegg's home page, and I ASSUMED ( incorrectly) that SCAT was part of Clegg. Clegg must be one of their distributors .
    Sorry for the bad info.
    I've been familiar with the SCAT name for quite some time because of drag and stock car racing.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I used SCAT VW parts in the early '70s. They've been around for all that time.
    I do recall their flathead cranks, when they first started doing them.
    There was a SCAT booth at Pomona Fathers Day swap, and they had a large number of 'seconds'. I always wondered what part of Q.C. determined them to be 'seconds'...
    Anybody know? (they were new 4" 'Merc type' cranks...)
    A few guys hereabouts use SCAT rotating assemblies hereabouts, everything I've heard has been positive, price included.

24. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Manic archaic
    How much boost You plain on for Caddy with
    What size blower?

Mad Mikey
    How much Boost on the 406 with
    What size Blower ?

If More then 20 pounds of Boost , 6-71 - 10-71 blower's
    Invest in better Crank /Rod's
    And a Good Quality Piston & bearings

25. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Just can't believe I've never heard of them.
    Cast crank. Hbeam rods $492 from Clegg. But talked to Cad Company, they ran and still run stock, and cast strokers. Go to the web site cad500parts.com or facebook cad company.
    Around 15lbs, Venolia pistons. Damn pistons and pins are more than the rods.

26. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

One experiment I did was a 406 SBC with stock block ,.030 over. Stock bolts , Stock Rods ,TRW 10-1 Flat top Bull S--- steel heads 64 cc, Off shelf cam , under .520 lift hyd .
    Carb's , 91 pump gas 6,300 rpm , 3,300 pound car 3:55 gear 28 tall tire , 10 wide
    690 hp ,6:35 @ 110 in 1/8 th street car ,
    20 passes , Tore down Engine , Crank had stress crack's every where ,
    You can make the Power , pretty much on stock Part's But will it Live or Gernade!!!
    Even a $ 1,400 crank is cheap when You want HP & Live !!
    To make it live & be reliable it takes good quality part's & $$$$

27. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

On 500 cid , look at Running A 8-71 or 10-71 with 1,800-2,100 cfm's
    Of carb's @ 15 pounds of boost ,if your looking to make serious power!!!
    Or a Enderle bug !!

What the weight on car ??

You wold be surprised what Blown 500hp feel's like in under 2,500 pds!!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  28. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Was going to go Predators. Now I find new Hilborn 4 ports for $2000. Have $700 in used Predators and still have to get them done, probably few hundred each. Now I have a dilemma. Have to get more info on the injector set up. Anybody heard of "Alky Digger" on E-bay?
    10-71 or 14-71.
    Car in avatar. Stock curb weight is under 2100. Little bastard should scoot along nicely.

29. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

image.png Any thing over 10-71 will be over kill,
    Street car or drag , ? Will depend on what stage 8-71 or 10-71 you need!
    also if a blower is to big ,and you do not spin it fast enough , it will cause a problems ,
    A mechanical injection is VERY hard to Run on the street ,BUT it can be done !
    There is some trick Elections Hillborn /Endele hats $$$$
    Hillborn 2 ,3,4 Hole.

30. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

The price is right on the 14. Would go electronic on the injector.