Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. rfraze

rfraze

Bob lives somewhere near Diamond Lake. He can be snuck up on at Woodburn during The Oldies but Goodies or Hot Rod Nationals events ( woodburndragstrip.com ) or events where Top Eliminator Dragsters run. The cast of characters that run these front engine 200 mph cars make for fun evenings in the pits.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  2. davegto

davegto

Thanks for your help. I tried searching all of the surrounding counties, for several hours, with no luck. Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks, Dave

3. redo32

redo32

Last year I bumped into his son ,Eddie, who lives in the Eugene area.

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I got a call this morning informing me of the passing of Chet Thomas. Chet was a great fabricator, tuner and driver. He is most remembered for his partnership with John Anderson and Jim Barnard, and the "Assassin" Willys sedan. They raced the Willys for nearly a decade in the 60's. I met him while working at Freightliner, he was in maintenance and would stop by my welding booth and talk drag cars, and share his knowledge with me. Among all of his talents, I was mostly in awe of his driving skills. With the Chrysler on fuel, he ran 7's @ 190 !! RIP old friend. A-3.jpg A-4.jpg A-8.jpg A-9.jpg

jalopy45 likes this.
  5. RIP Chet Thomas.
    I remember the Willys, a 60's car if ever there was one.
    The passing of men like Thomas is WHY I started this thread and why I think it's important to record this history before in vanishes...forever. As we age and pass on, our history fades and dies unless we record it and pass it on to those that will cherish it. Once it's gone, it's gone.
    Again, RIP. The stories and images CAN live forever...if we want it to.

6. Bob Kehoe

Bob Kehoe

Glad I stumbled upon this forum! I'm currently writing a comprehensive biography of Art Pollard. Rather than just another work focusing on stats and race history, I'm focusing more on the personal side of Art. Over the past months I've been assembling interviews and photos, but am always on the lookout for more. If anyone here may have some personal memories and/or obscure photos of Art, please give me a holler.

Attached Files:

• ap9.jpg
      ap9.jpg
      File size:
      11.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Welcome Bob, About 20 years ago While eating at Henry Ford's Restaurant, I had quite a conversation with Henry. Before opening his place on Barbour Blvd, he had restaurant in Canyonville,Or. and he sponsored Art. He said Art had some 270 GMC engines built in San Jose, and Henry usually made the trip down to drop them off and pick them up. I don't know if any of Henry's family is around, but it might be worth a search.

8. redo32

redo32

I got to talk with Art & Rollie at the Portland swap meet years ago when they were selling their book. A couple of great gentlemen.

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I think you mean Len Sutton, Art was killed at Indy, during practice for the "500" in 1973.

10. redo32

redo32

Your right Marty...............I plead CRS.. Red

11. Bob Kehoe

Bob Kehoe

Back when I was Northwest Editor for DRIVE! Magazine, it was always a privilege to have Len in my booth at the rod shows. prcsbooth_sm.jpg sutton1.jpg

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Len was a great guy, it was fun to get him out of retirement racing our vintage cars. P7130010.JPG

13. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I learned my lesson. Went to a Race in Louisanna new track new owner new everything. Don't remember the name but they were offering to pay bunches. The operative word being bunches! So we went and qualified and won a couple rounds (BB/FC). We got back monday morning and I went straight to the bank to cash the check and off to the speed / machine shop to pay my bill. Found out later that day that I had one of the few checks that cleared...

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

HUH??????????

15. Bob Kehoe

Bob Kehoe

Wanted to share this photo of Tindle's (circa '64) on Union Ave. in NE Pdx with the Orange Crate parked out front. tindle\'s (640x338).jpg

Kan Kustom likes this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I got the news that Palmer Crowell passed away this evening, he turned 85 a short while ago. Palmer started racing in Track Roadsters at Portland Speedway in '47. He had a long, successful racing career driving Midgets, Sprints, Supermodifieds, Silver Crown cars and even some Road Racing. My old sidekick Ernie Martin, was Palmer's mechanic for many years, including 1971 when he won the Canadian American Modified Racing Assn. Championship. They raced SCCA with a nearly new Mustang GT 350. He was a versatile driver, at home on dirt or pavement, on ovals from a 1/4 to a mile in size and a calm, cool , customer. We used to watch him on "Thursday Night Thunder", TV Announcer Larry Nuber, referred to him as the "Elder Statesman" of open wheel racing. We are going to miss him, RIP my old friend. Palmer and JP.jpg PC 2.jpg PC 1.jpg

30ARoadster likes this.
  17. jalopy45

jalopy45

Found a UTube with the John Gates "T" from Grants Pass in the late 50',early 60's with a bunch of vintage drag race footage from Medford, even some shots of the glass slipper.

18. jalopy45

jalopy45

Whoops, wrong one , here's the right one,

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Jalopy, It sure brings back memories from that time.

20. jalopy45

jalopy45

Here's a shot of the John Gates "T" at White City, on a single axle trailer and Lancer hubcaps., [​IMG]

The Arizona Old Crow likes this.
  21. verde742

verde742

Steve Averre told me the "Assassin" is in a garage in Longview, not for sale, but intact..

22. Blown Red Ram

Blown Red Ram
    from Kelso,Wa.

He told me the same thing! The owner won't even let Steve in for a look. Wished I knew who and what part of town....

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Steve mounted a VW Bug body on the original Willys chassis and raced it for a while. The last time I saw the Willys body, it was mounted on a rectangular tube chassis. It was fenderless and a had '34 Chevy grille, sad to see the car parts separated that way. I was at Mark Brislawn's place a couple of weeks ago, he had some great pictures of it without an engine ( but complete), when he bought it from a guy in Vancouver, named Carlson.

24. Blown Red Ram

Blown Red Ram
    from Kelso,Wa.

I watched that rectangular tube chassis being built out at Steve's wrecking yard. That was a long time ago, mid 70's I think. That tube chassis was "busy", very overbuilt.

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

[QUOTE="Blown Red Ram, post: 10867086, member: 155660"
    ]I watched that rectangular tube chassis being built out at Steve's wrecking yard.[/QUOTE]
    Was that Steve Averell ? sp. who had the vw yard.

26. Blown Red Ram

Blown Red Ram
    from Kelso,Wa.

Was that Steve Averell ? sp. who had the vw yard.[/QUOTE]
    Yes it is. Steve and his brother Phil had the VW yard. Averys Air Cooled is still operating but under different owners. It's in south Kelso now.

27. jalopy45

jalopy45

Here's an early shot (1963) of Bob Tindles' Orange Crate, [​IMG]

30ARoadster likes this.
  28. limobob

limobob

Hi guys! Just found this forum! I watched a few races at Danebo/Balboa when I was about 12, 13 yrs. I remember Chuck Pooles Chuckwagon, Soapy Sales. (memory fuzzy). Also raced my 64 Malibu at Woodburn in 74, 75, 76 and my then to be wife raced her 67 SS camaro. (still have it) I have pics from Danebo and Woodburn! I will upload as I find and scan. Tip of the day.... Dont read this forum and drink a Monster at the same time!! Giddy!! Bob

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

GIDDY UP

30. limobob

limobob

In regards to the Beckner and Becker car, post # 1043, Bob Beckner is my wifes cousin, I'll see if she can coax him out of some pics, lore, etc.. She says that she used to sit in Bobs car at his house and pretend driving!!