Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. No doubt! The one they installed at KCIR was placed nearly under the crossover bridge and it didn't take us long to figure out that we could stand on the stairs and look down as they fired up the nitro cars.

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I remember when the rollers were installed at Woodburn Dragstrip in the 70's. Veteran drag racer and chassis builder Bruce Cassidy built the unit, it was a unique design that utilized a big block Ford for power. The main difference was, the engine was located below ground level and encased in a concrete vault with a steel lid, and only the rollers and controls were above ground. It was only a short time later that NHRA required starters (plug in or otherwise) on all cars, and the device was obsolete and removed.

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

2013-12-19 093905.jpg 2013-12-19 093905.jpg 2013-12-19 095627.jpg These are a couple of shots from the piece.

5. Great article Marty! I wouldn't mind seeing some more Northwest hot rod history hitting the magazines! Thanks for sharing all your knowledge with us.

6. coast40

coast40

"When the cop put away his ticket book and started telling Jack how fast he made the 40-mile trip to Portland in his Lincoln Zephyr, Jack was quite relieved. The best part: The cop’s name was Blackie White!"
    Marty- is there some significance to the name 'Blackie White' other than nickname? A racer of the time? Well known officer?

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jack didn't know what "Blackie's" real name was. Blackie was a well known motorcycle cop in Salem. Jack told me Blackie was tough but fair, and spent plenty of time at hi-schools promoting driver safety.

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

While doing some research over the last few weeks, I was planning on making contact with Drag Racer/ Chassis builder Bob Gibson. Don Jackson informed me that Bob had passed away about two weeks ago. Last November page 34 in post# 1007, I mentioned Bob as the builder of Al Blodgett's 40 Chevy Gasser. Bob built some high quality cars, including Willys and Anglia/Thames Gassers. I regret not taking the time to go meet him. RIP Bob. 2013-11-07 141007.jpg 2013-11-07 141811.jpg

9. metalmania

metalmania

My brother and I did the body & paint before the version shown in the pictures. We were members of the Road Kings-N.W.T.A.-Eugene, OR during that time. Stan had built the car for the street in High School or shortly thereafter but sold it to help pay for college. He had lengthened the body to allow for more legroom as he was very tall. He located it out of state and purchased it to fix up again, some 20 plus years later. If I remember correctly it still had the flathead engine and Kenmont front disc brakes. We fixed it up and at his request we painted it John Deere green. It didn't have the wheel cutouts at that time. This was around 1967-68 I believe. As far as I know he ran it on the street than changed it to drag racing after that.

10. BUMP! WE NEED TO GET THIS THREAD IN GEAR AGAIN!
    More Oregon racing!

11. rfraze

rfraze

Sorry to hear about Bill's passing. I will miss that guy. Here is a pic of the Lewis brothers' comp coupe, which I believe is a Simca, now owned and run by Don Smith in Texas. The car was called Two Flat Coupe and is as nice as it looks. Twin%20Flattie.JPG

12. coast40

coast40

Might be a Fiat Topolino.[​IMG]

13. coast40

coast40

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Fiat Topolino and Simca 5 are the same car. The Simca (mine shown) were sold in France. IMG_2846_1.JPG IMG_2847.JPG

Kan Kustom likes this.
  15. YES HE DID, THE CAR HAS BEEN RESTORED BY BUTCH SHULTZ AND COVERED IN SUPER CHEVY AND OTHER PNW CAR SHOWS. HAVE KNOWN AL SINCE THOSE DAYS, SORRY FOR THE LATE RESPONSE. DAVE

16. coast40

coast40

Anglia with Oregon roots for sale at San Diego. 15k
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/4690494887.html
    "92 inch wb flip-up body torsion bar ft , PS spindles & steering box. center steer, floating ford rear end . New 4.57s 31 spline spool. Airheart Brakes . wheelie bars Built by Harold Ketch in Oregon , early 70s. Fresh chrome powder coated Chrome Moly Chassis. Also ladder bars & coil overs. All Steel except glass doors,front end, deck lid . Magnesium ft, and rear wheels."
    Previously mentioned at http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...rs-recognize-this-anglia.789111/#post-8823081

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. coast40

coast40

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Great shot Coast, I wonder when "Rock" crashed his Anglia at Eugene ? After Jack Coonrod sold his Willys (minus engine) to Bob Schoonhoven and Phil Schaefer , he either sold or loaned his blown gas early Hemi to Jim Rockstad to run in the Anglia.

19. coast40

coast40

Here are some more pics from Firebird Raceway at Boise. To see all the pics (they start about 1968) go to
    http://www.firebirdonline.com/blast_from_past/blast_index_A.htm
    and click down the list on the left. There are several pics of Ziegler, Goodell, and other regional cars.

Kenny Goodell - ICS Anglia
    http://www.firebirdonline.com/blast_from_past/Archives/bftp_2010/May/BFTP_Middle Picture_Kenney.JPG

Coletti Riddler and Old Trapper Plymouth Cuda's in about 71.
    http://www.firebirdonline.com/blast_from_past/Archives/images/BFTP3_18_04OldTrap.jpg

Steve McGee (in the lead) and Jim Rockstad
    http://www.firebirdonline.com/blast_from_past/Archives/bftp_2010/April/BFTP4_26_10.jpg

Walt Skoczylas
    http://www.firebirdonline.com/blast_from_past/Archives/bftp_2011/June/BFTP6_16_11.JPG

20. W Scott

W Scott

Thanks Cord for sharing links to our website on the HAMB. Over the course of past decade or more we've tried to pull up images in our Blast from the Past segment of our site. Hands down, it's the most visited aspect of our website. It's been fun digging thru our archives and sharing some historical photos from Firebird. Lookin' forward to posting more images from yesteryear on into the future.

Scott

coast40 likes this.
  21. I just came across this thread and was looking at your old Balboa photos only to see myself in one! I had the red/white/blue '68 Camaro in the near lane of picture 3. :)

Sadly, my last memory of Balboa was getting stiffed out of round money one night and a bunch of us having to talk Jack Frost out of storming the tower to get it for us. Very different days indeed.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  22. KEEP 'EM COMING! I know there are thousands of pics out there, scan 'em and post 'em!!!
    Why let them go to waste, share them with us!
    MARTY! Anything new turn up?Further congrats on your sucess with Hot Rod Deluxe, let's get to 175,000 views and 1500 posts!!!

23. Just saw this today, thought I'd post

Linda McCulloch passes. Sept 18, 2014

Linda McCulloch, wife of legendary Funny Car racer Ed “the Ace” McCulloch and mother of Al-Anabi Top Fuel crew chief Jason McCulloch, died Sept. 17 after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease. She was 72.

Ed McCulloch posted this message on Facebook in tribute to his wife of 48 years: “She stood by me through all the good times and the bad times. I will miss her and love her forever! Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and prayers; it's touched my heart and is much appreciated!”

Via email, Jason added, "We've gotten lots of calls and texts from many people in the racing community, and my dad and I really appreciate every one of them. My mom was a supporter of a family that loved NHRA Drag Racing; the condolences we've gotten from so many people around our sport mean a great deal to my family and me. We have a chance to win two races this weekend, so I am going to be in Dallas working with the our race team — my mom would completely understand. I'll travel home to California to be with my family on Monday."

Linda McCulloch was one of the 10 founding members of the Drag Racing Association of Women (DRAW), which was created in 1985 to provide financial and emotional support to qualified individuals involved in drag racing accidents at a track.

The McCullochs are pictured here in the Funny Car winner’s circle at the 1988 U.S. Nationals, where Jason was on the crew of the Larry Minor Racing Miller Oldsmobile driven to victory by his father, who won the U.S. Nationals six times (1971, '72, '80, '88, and '90 in Funny Car and '92 in Top Fuel.)
    [​IMG]

24. coast40

coast40

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  25. Ron Huegli

Ron Huegli

Sorry to say this but Jim Albrich passed away on Sunday. Long live Columbia Race Engines and God Speed Jim...

26. coast40

coast40

27. davegto

davegto

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Bob McCutchn or Vic "Snidely Whiplash" Morris from Eugene? I worked on their AA/FD crew while in high school.

Thanks!

28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The last time I talked to Bob McCutcheon, he was living East of the mountains, Bend maybe.

29. zabasearch.com is your friends for questions like this.