Register now to get rid of these ads!

great lakes drag way union grove wi. pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Mark

In 1956 you were in a really safe, warm area. We were trying to get into similar warm areas but, from the outside.

Here is a picture of GLD opening day, 1956. The track surface was heavily oiled, hard packed, sealed something. By 1957 the track had an asphalt surface.

Curt R

I'll trade you birth years

Attached Files:

Tickety Boo likes this.
  2. Thanks racer-x for the picture!!!!!!!!!!!

This was Memorial Day weekend 1966, First time out at the track with the Fiat and running a 409. This was the day it ran the SWC Willys in a test and tune race. The Fiat lost.

[​IMG]

3. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Some misc. early shots from different sites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Taken in 1972, I'm the short guy!

[​IMG]

Tickety Boo likes this.
  5. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

In the 80's I spent way, way to much time at "THE GROVE!" These were some of the cars I helped out on which raced there almost weekly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Is it true, or legend that some of the buildings were from the Riverview Park in Chicago or was that Byron or just some BS?

The current owners are just Randy Henning and Marcel? Ray was there, is he related to Marcel?

7. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

Whoa, Um, i think thats a pic of my dad in the 3rd post as a kid. I'm trying to get a hold of him to confirm.

Any idea what year "group 2" is from?

8. Django

Django
    from Chicago

In the green B-10 jacket with the FED?

9. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

in the red jacket(furthest one to the right) by the wierd winged hemi dragster.He would have been 15 in '60 so its about the right age and he's always loved hemis so maybe.

10. low punk the pics posted by funny car for me are from 65 and 66 to the best of my knowledge. i was at the world of wheels in milwaukee with my 65 dodge and a guy walked up and handed me a bag with all those photos in 35mm slide form. said he was there the day before saw my car and thought i would like them. i never saw him again.

11. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

Awesome thanks a lot!

12. Did you say a bag full of slides? I hope that means you have a hole lot more to post, right?!

13. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

group 9

Attached Files:

Robert Classen likes this.
  14. This Dick Harrell altered base Nova is friggin' cool. I don't remember seeing a picture of this car before. These pics rock, keep them coming:)
    1532144.thumb.jpeg

15. skoh73

skoh73

Very cool! Thanks for posting!

16. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Theres a thread on yellowbullet that the bank is foreclosing, and the locals once again want the track gone. We race there, so I hope its more internet BS.

17. dynamic88

dynamic88
    from Chicago

Great pics! Gives me even more appreciation for being able to run at GLD in the Heads Up.

And yep, I thought the same thing... that one photo sure looks like a young Don Prudhomme, being pushed by the Dodge station wagon. And sure enough, it is.

Same rail in this '66 photo from Hot Rod, from a quick Google search:

Attached Files:

18. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

[​IMG]

Yes, the first event held in '56 was on dirt!

quick85 and rjones35 like this.
  19. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Couple more from last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I sure do appreciate all you guys posting up the photos from EARLY days!

I was hoping Curt R. would put up some of his great collection.

21. big nick 59 that orange 31 chrysler coupe with the blown hemi and eight carbs is mine. and the orange crate dragster in the backround is the front engine nitro car i crew on. we may be booked in for memorial day. if it works out stop by and introduce yourself. just ask for brian cool pics

22. Domiracer66

Domiracer66
    from The Mil

Here's a few more for the early Bennett years collection...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

another group

Attached Files:

24. Dodgepilot

Dodgepilot
    from Wisconsin

I live about an hour from there. I remember as a kid going there at least 6 to 10 time during the summer and watch my Mom race our 65 Chevy impala 4door. Best run was a 14.01 @ 100 MPH. She said I'm not a man until I beat it. I had a 62 Ford Galaxie 500 with a 390 & C6 trans with shift kit in high school that may have done it but I never stepped up to the plate. Wouldn't have mattered, I'll always be a boy to Mom. Great memories. Thanks Bob.

25. Yeah Curt, share your stash dude ! :D

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Thank you Domiracer 66 for sharing your fabulous photos.

dig that old Buick ambulance!!!

30Dodgeboy needs that

27. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

RACER-X I sure will swing in and say HI! I usually pinstripe at the "Heads up" and I'm sure I'll be with TC again on Memorial day.

I got to drool over your car when it was in Shepperds shop getting the pin-up art done. It has to be one of the coolest coupes I have EVER seen, and I've seen a few. Looking forward to meeting you in person Brian.

28. john is one talented guy isn't he. john also applied all the gold leaf on the 65 dodge in the avatar. next time you see him ask him about starting the dodge at his old shop and then doing burnouts in the street. freaked him out. the whole area heard it for blocks around. if you have any shots of the orange crate let me know. look forward to seeing you at DA GROVE

29. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Amazing photos! Thanks so much. They are putting evil thoughts into my head for the Heads Up Tshirts!! :D