Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. image.jpg image.jpg Well grandpa is a retired sheriff so maybe a spot light and a red light. Huh? Don't make me pull your ass over and hit you with my tire iron. Wham I'll change your tune. :D

2. I can keep putting more lights on it if your as bored as I am. We will light this heffer up. I got trailer lights and some back up lights couple more spot lights. Not sure they will all run on 6v. Lol

slv63 likes this.
  3. I hope y'all know I'm just playing around. This car will have none of that. She will be smooth as grandpas was.

loudbang, Stogy and DylanHill1931 like this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Speaking of smooth... is @Flop dropping by to do the real work @Stogy had so easily laid out? And any luck on the dash bezel?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  5. @Stogy gave me info on a junk yard that has Chrysler parts and iv called 4 times left message and no return call. So I'm still looking for that piece. As far as flop coming I don't think he has enough time, as he looks like he has tons of work. I'm not worried about the metal work as that is what I do. I don't put it out there to show what I can do but I do have lots of body files and can work a torch and hammer weld like crazy. I worked at a hotrod shop and the ol man was to me the best metal man in the world. He taught me everything there is to know about welding with a torch. When it comes time to fix up this body you will see me get down. All in do time. One thing I really want is a tig machine first. I love to hammer weld with a torch but I know I can control the warp a lot more with a tig. A tig is also a soft weld like a torch. A mig weld is to brittle of a weld and can crack so for me a mig is a no no on thin gauge body panels. I want to take what my metal master taught me and apply it to a tig machine to save some time. Iv built many kustoms with a torch and I'm ready for some tig love. I'm trying to buy a 51 ford pickup that Was my first thing I chopped and hammer welded all back together under the whip of my mentor. Both he and the owner of the truck have passed on so I want this truck bad. I did it in 1997. I was 17 and my master gave me hell over it taking me as long as it did. I got one side of the roof done in 3 days and had to work for one day at my other job came back and the roof was done. He was badass. And could paint candies like nobody else. Here I go blah blah blahin. To much to tell. Back to hypersonic huh.

DylanHill1931, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not in the least bit surprised you have a hand for this...I was gonna post eluding a fella with your handle might be pretty handy at all aspects of the biz...and now we know...good on you.

DylanHill1931 and loudbang like this.
  7. I dig the TIG . . . one of the best tools I've ever bought. Miller all the way! LOL

8. Yes miller all the way. I have a millermatic 210 mig that welds like a champ and iv always liked miller so I will be buying miller tig. 3-4 grand so I have to pick up cans and mow some lawns help ol lady's with their Groceries and pick up penny's to get one.:D

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, I gotta say, nix the cowl lights.... IF it was my build. They remind of the "Resto-Rod" era. And my thought about that "fad" was...... why?

paintslinger805 likes this.
  10. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

This is looking killer keep up the great work!!

11. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Lol damn everyone hates the cowl light huh? Don't worry y'all I only have one 32 and one model a cowl light. The car will look like this when it's all done. Like grandpas car. That's why I'm building this. A lot of this pictures are just for laughs.:D:D And make you go :confused::confused: Is he doing to that deuce. Just wait till I get the axel back then y'all can be speech less.

loudbang, DylanHill1931 and Tim like this.
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Counting on it, man.

13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I was wondering, I know your always screwing with us and all, but I knew there wasn't anything on the original Hypersonic!!!!!!!!!!! that wasn't deemed totally cool by today and Elmer standards.
    Now back to jokes.

14. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Iv studied this headlight shots for awhile now and I think I got it really close. I should be done today after work with the headlights. One picture I have printed at home shows how he just wrapped the wires from the pass. Headlight around the center bar about 6 times over to the other headlight. Everyone hides every wire in today's world but back then it was more like hey does it work? yea,ok let go. These cars are mechanical and I love to see how they work. Stop hiding everything you magicians.

loudbang, DylanHill1931 and Stogy like this.
  15. [​IMG] I did as much editing as I could on this photo for you but from what I can tell it says something on the very top of the deck lid then a ? QUIT the hypersonic! SPECIAL? But who really knows other than your grandpa!

birdog and loudbang like this.
  16. Hey - just wanted to approve of the way he hung the license plate - it is definitely period correct! LOL. I have the original stock setup, but have kept the mounts that were on my car back in the day.

IMG_4804.JPG

17. Dale your car is so bitchin. What a time machine. If only those wheels could talk. I like the license plate on the bar. I think my grandpas was bailing wired on.:D

18. What do y'all think grandpas headlight were. King bee maybe? Guides. They look little compared to 32 pass. Headlights.

19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

20. I think the lights are King Bees - too small for Guides of BLCs. The KB's were kind of the hot ticket for many years - especially in the 50's.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Thank you sir . . . I'm very fortunate to have been at the right place, at the right time . . . with enough funds to roll the dice. Figured that was my one chance in life to do that - so 'Fxxx It! - just go for it' - guess it was made to be. This car has been by far the most fun of any vintage HotRod I've had - it just speaks to me when I go down the road. :)

22. I would put my money on them being King Bee lights....plus they would match the fog light I gave ya....as it is a KB also.
    The lights on the yellow deuce are original king bee's

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah I suppose that cam "speaks" a little
    But seriously do you mean the engine? Car, or whole package Dale?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  24. Yea in those pictures I can see a really small headlight trim ring. The king bees seem to have the only little trim rings out of all the other kinds of headlights. I guess I have to go on the hunt for some kick ass cool king bees.
    King bees or was it cool beans. Hell I'm getting old I can't remember.

loudbang likes this.
  25. He likes the "package" :)

loudbang likes this.
  26. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

loudbang and paintslinger805 like this.
  27. If you don't have any luck finding some KB's let me know as I have a good friend that has a few sets. I have another friend that bought a set from him a short time back for 100.00. I can check with him if you want.

28. Hey Dennis ask him if he has any that are painted as I can see my grandpas weren't chromed. Or I guess I could up grade to the chrome ones. See what he's got. I called a guy out here that I got lots of parts from and he said he has a set but don't know from what year or time period. Is there a way to tell time period they were made??

29. Are you sure the head lights aren't Arrows?

30. Not sure that's why I was asking if anyone's knows. Do you have any pictures of arrows???