Register now to get rid of these ads!

Granada Spindle Conversion, 57-8 Ford disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dakota, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

What years of these cars donate the spindles? i wanna put disc brakes on the Edsel and i read all about this Granada conversion, but nowhere can i find specific years/models that donate them.

if i read right these make a 1-1.5 in drop too right?

if you have a parts list oor a list of what years and models donate the parts let me know.

Thanks

Aaron

2. 75 to 80 for the Granada and Mercury Monarch I think it was called. You will need to ream out the hole for the lower ball joint too. Not sure of exact specs. If you can find a pair of spindles from a Lincoln Versailles, they should bolt right on. Found a few sites on the web for this. Hope none of the mods mind me posting links to other sites.

http://www.mustangsteve.com/granadadiscs.html

http://users.ipns.com/rlewis/disc.htm

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The pair I used were from a '79 Lincoln Versailles and were the same as the Granada/Monarch. -- needed to be reamed.

The rest of the parts - rotors, calipers, bearings, seals, and master cylinder are all readily available.

Try http://www.rockauto.com/

Malcolm

4. for my 64 i have the parts to do it with 73-79 big t-bird. bigger rotors and calipers than the granada and shou;d still dropit 1.5"

5. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

I read that the tbird stuff screws up the ackerman and other geometry...

6. Mark T

Mark T

Blacktopbuddha listed the correct years above for the spindles.

If you want your Granada spindles to drop the front of your car you should only ream the lower ball joint hole enough so that the spindle sits high on the lower ball joint stud. If the lower hole is reamed larger the car will sit higher. A local machine shop charged me $40. to do the spindles for my '55 Ford.

A company called Drop-n-stop sells this exact setup for '54-'64 Fords.

PM me if you would like to see some pictures of my spindles before I installed them or if you have any questions.

Mark

Kustomline54 likes this.
  7. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

All ther information is correct. I put the spindles on my old 57 ranchero. Dropped it 1.5"-2". It takes a #7 reamer. Use a 67 mustang master cylinder for a disc/drum. You will be able to use the top two bolts that are on the firewall and drill the bottom two. I did not even have to modify the pushrod. I did not go power brakes and used no porportioning valve. It stopped great. TP

8. Paul2748

Paul2748

You can also use the Granada/Monarch master cylinder. Direct bolt in. They have both a power and non-power version. I went with non-power, stops fine. When you get the parts off the donor car, get the combination valve. Mark what holes go to what before taking off.

9. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

i believe maverick disc brake spindles are the same as granada

10. Low58Corsair

Low58Corsair

not to bring this out of the dead but I'm looking at this granada swap for my 58 corsair which is based off the larger Mercury frame and I had a couple questions.

my car has power drum brakes & was wondering if anyone has advice as far as making it all work with power assist?

only the lower ball joint hole needs to be reamed? the other 2 are correct?

what about a prop valve? the wheel cylinders are 1/32" difference in size from the granada to the corsair, would that pose a major problem?

11. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I have the Granada wagon set-up on mine and a full station wagon coil was cut out too... handled great at high speeds and in the curves... stopped straight at over a hundred... and, you can retain the 14" rims... 40K miles in five years and no negatives - but I can stamp stupid on my forhead for dismantling it for paint and donating the motor to to my 27

12. Low58Corsair

Low58Corsair

Lol I think kicking yourself for projects past is part of the deal. what kind of wagon was it?

13. enjoyn

enjoyn

Arron give me a call in Center. Kenny

a

14. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Oh... I'm only semi stupid... I still have a couple of stock 312's and the 57 County Sedan... just the one I pulled out was 375 HP that moved the 4,300 lb brick pretty good... that's how I can say the breaks worked great... the were properly tested!

15. Low58Corsair

Low58Corsair

what master cylinder did you use with those brakes? stock rear brakes? brake booster or no? prop valve?

16. I am told you can use the big body '69 galaxie spindles and larger disc brakes. But they use 15" wheels.

I think you still need to ream these spindles too.

CBB

17. BBF57

BBF57
    from alaska

do you have the name and spec on that reamer? whats the taper angle? the one i found says a 1/4 inch afoot. which does not match the 57's balljoint

18. Verminator

Verminator

I used 69 Mark III loaded spindles on my 57 Custom 300 Direct bolt on -needed to use 15'' rims. Same as galaxie 70-72 era

19. Thanks for the info, I still have not tried the Galaxie spindles on my 57. This make me want to go out and tear in to the front end.

CBB

20. hotrod428

hotrod428

all of these spindle swaps will screw up your geometry, ackerman unless the doner has the exact track and wheelbase as your car. my conversions use the stock spindles and does not change the geometry.

21. dentman

dentman
    from demotte in

Has anybody done this swap on a 58 ford wagon and had trouble with the rotors hitting the lower control arm? also has a coil cut out of the spring.
    Thanks

22. Mark T

Mark T

Join the '52-'59 Ford social club here on the HAMB and ask your question there, maybe someone can help with your problem.