Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got any "magic" tricks to stop an engine from smoking?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnsettledParadox, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Yes, I always forget this one. Prolly because I seldom get really gunky engines. But, I have had that work for me too in the past. Good call

2. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

You could try something that's actually been specifically formulated to free up the ring pack on the piston, and will also clean up the inside of the engine slowly at the same time:

http://auto-rx.com/

Certainly worth a try, I use it on several of my cars both old and new.

I've also used Restore on my '70 Chevy C20 with a tired BB 402, it helps keep it from fouling the #8 spark plug.

3. My suggestion too.

Thick oil and STP works for me.

You should also look under your valve covers and make sure the oil return drain passages are clear. You do not want your valves or valve guides under a puddle of oil or the intakes will suck that oil right down the valve guides and into the combustion chamber.
    You would do well to look into a new set of valve guide seals. They can usually be done with the heads still on the car, er heads still on the engine...

MAKE SURE YOUR ROAD TUBE IS CLEAR!
    More often than not, the road tube, which is the other end of your crankcase venting system, has a steel mesh or stainless wool stuffed inside the pipe that has not been cleaned in DECADES.
    If you don't have the road tube open and clear, you can push a lot of vapors and oil mist right out of the front breathers.

Drive it several hundred miles with several heating and cooling cycles. Often simple excercise along with letting the pistons swell up and cool down, expand and cool, several times can free up some stuck rings and reduce greatly the oil consumption.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  4. jkherd

jkherd

valve guide seals and pistons rings :)

5. carzwy

carzwy

rebuild it or do't start it

6. Cortney

Cortney

Ive tried running trans fluid in my 390 FE (in the driveway) for about 30 mins or so as well and had pretty good results! It may free up the oil galleys as mentioned. It also cleans the rest of the motor as well. But it will definitely smoke while your running it! Converting the down draft tube to a PCV valve set up may help some too. Hope your neighbors like you! LOL! Good Luck!

7. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

use smokeless motor oil.... real stuff look it up

8. Ob1

Ob1

Surprised no one has suggested turning the ignition switch off...

Sorry, couldnt resist!

9. teddyp

teddyp

had a few bad motors and it does work but frist pull off rocker covers and see if its just dirt then restore and 50 w oil :D

10. Have you pulled the valve covers and checked to see if the oil return holes at the front and rear of the head are partially plugged?

11. DougHH

DougHH

Invite your engine's friends over. Have an intervention for the engine. Make your engine call the quit smoking help line.

[​IMG]

sleepchamber likes this.
  12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

On jack stands in the garage, a couple of days, an old fashioned valve and ring job won't cost any more than a new set of tires. Take the heads to a machine shop, buy a hone and do the bores yourself.

13. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

thanks for the replies guys. the old man is busy doing old guy stuff so whenever i bring up working on the old bird he gets a little agitated. oh well, i can barely see the smoke from my house!

thanks for all the replies. i may try a few of em and keep it updated