Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Good-by America

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Auto Doug, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Last weekend i went to yet another old school salvage yard auction, just to see if I could find some interesting stuff. I don't really need more but having a restoration hot rod shop there is always something at these sales. So yes I bought a tuck load of old stuff, & 3 cars. But about 25 of them simply went straight to the shredder, I'm kicking myself for not saving more and I have been loosing sleep knowing I could saved more by getting the word out! maybe next time? but the end of America as we once knew it is nearing the end I can feel it. here are some that are no longer with us. Chewed up in little pieces and sent to China? to be made into cheap toasters!

Attached Files:

2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Thanks for buying the vehicles you did. One guy can't save them all.
    There is a lot of talk about saving old stuff but sadly most of it is just talk.
    I buy what I can as well.

3. I had to leave before they smashed the 55 Buick I couldn't stand it anymore! Yes it still had the complete nailhead in it, I sure the whole car brought the scrap guy close to $ 480.00, the red whit uni-body truck shredded as well! that would have been one killer shop truck! The 63 4dr Galaxie is one of the lucky one it gets to live one more life as a demo derby car! at least it will go down with one last fight & some good old fashion American dignity. i did manage to save this 62 Olds Starfire and a 63 Old Super 88

Attached Files:

4. My Unibody started crying when it saw the pic of the one going to the crusher. Im glad I don't need any parts.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Kinda messed up, but hardly a dent in the fabric of this great nation. Sometimes, this HOBBY, get's way over blown. It's fun, not earth shaking. MY opinion, of course. With ALL the member's here, how is there NOT a dedicated thread, where member's can post up coming auctions and junk yards that have old cars? Beats the hell out of crying AFTER the crush.

metlmunchr likes this.
  6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

We are destroying our heritage, in the name of greed!

Not just with these cars, but in almost every facet of life!

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I parted out a 51 Fleetline 4 door in worse shape that that 50 and made over $3,000.00. it was all rusted to shit and the only body parts I sold were the hood, the trunk and the back window portion of the roof. all those small parts add up.

that was before ebay started to suck, so results may be different now

8. Nothing new,,there are cool cars crushed everyday but there are still hundreds of thousands of old tin still out there,I'm grateful to the hoarders that have saved the good stuff. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. That 4 door Buick seemed really solid! And the unibody F100 was a great looking start to a project.

I know that stuff is getting scrapped every day, but it's a bummer when really clean and straight metal is getting crushed.

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

We can't keep everything. Many people collect many things and when they die, there aren't many who keep the collections together. I work in a faciity where we shred cars and we see many old cars and trucks come in. Most have sat outside for years and the lower parts are rusted away. Many hoarders won't sell or give the vehicles to somebody who could save them. They let them rot away until local authorities have to step in or they get sick or die and the collection is auctioned to pay their debts.

There's a guy near me that has around 80 cars and he won't sell any of them or any parts. Fifteen years ago, another guy who had around 50 cars that he wouldn't sell had the county come and take them and sell them for scrap because he hadn't paid property taxes.

11. [QUOTE="Auto Doug, the red whit uni-body truck shredded as well! that would have been one killer shop truck! [/QUOTE]........................That's a tragedy right there.:(

12. ........................That's a tragedy right there.:([/QUOTE]
    yep it sold for 175.00 to the scrap buyer I was bussy trying to buy some other stuff, i try to buy it from the guy but he wanted 450 and I was out of $ still had the frame & eng in it, yeh it would have been a Killer! instead it got killed! terrible shame !

13. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Shit, for that little it would have been smart of him to put it up for sale at his lot. Even for a week or two.
    But, of course, he's not smart.

14. Squablow

Squablow

Better to post a notice before the auction to let everyone know, than to post pics afterwards of all the stuff getting smashed because no one was there. Looks like a couple possible future projects and a decent amount of good salvageable parts got lost. Nothing Earth-shattering, but still a shame.

15. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

Mmm...toast. With orange marmalade!

I like toast better than I like 4-doors.

16. There was a lot of usable trim on those and that f100 truck was solid! and straight. Even if they were 4 doors they could've been parted out for considerably more money than what they fetched at the crusher.

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Yeah---texting while driving a goddam Honda. We're going to have to import some teenagers from somewhere........thissux.

18. slammed

slammed

Yes, you should have got the word out here on the HAMB for free. It would have been better than doing nothing at all. To much of that mind set today. Apathy, non-involvement, PC, ect. Now without rapping your crotch (troll style) w/a ball peen hammer, you OP need to make amends and get the word out next time you find a stash that is in jeopardy.

19. henry's revenge

henry's revenge
    from England

Thats an awfull sight Them 6 cars and trucks would easy fetch £30.000 here in the condition they are in

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Talking about the 63 ford going to be a demo derby car, that brings back memories of when I was a kid, 3 brothers I know (They are a lot older now and dont do derbies anymore)would win the local county fairs demo derbies every year with 63 and 64 fords as that was the car to have back then.
    I guess no one around here had caught onto the chrysler imperials yet:eek:

The 3 brothers dad was a older man who had owned a junk yard for years so they had plenty of access to the the cars and parts.

21. Wow that unibody looked nice...hey you saved this 2 Olds from the crusher....complete with the trim and in smashed front fenders!

22. Getting the word out is not my job I have no one paying me to take the time to keep an eye out for these events, I work day & night restoring cars, training young guys to become talented craftsmen in this field, I do my part! So to post these sales as they happen every weekend through-out the country it's up to the guys that have the time to play on the computer, with thousands of post! just google auctions and look! I was lucky enough for a friend to mention this sale to me the morning of so I dropped my work and headed up there with out camera, only the next day when I went to claim my purchases did I take some pictures, and captured what needs to be seen so all gear heads are aware and can take action of their own.

23. Yes they would have been a big hit I have 12 guys here from Sweden right now for 12 days touring the mid west I'm their contact and command center they have a large container in my lot and are filling it with Americaina classic cars even old John Deer tractors which we have plenty of here. They are at Speedway Motors right now spending another 8,000 American $. So if you have a groupe of gear heads from England that would like to tour the American midwest to see and buy vintage Americain come over quick! becouse there are not enough gear heads here to capture all these great bargins and they will all end up in the shredder and sent to Asia to make cheap lawn furniture!

24. smoked1

smoked1

oh well its sad ,but shit happens!

25. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I did check the OP's location, and I was correct in my first reaction. Lack of people, or more land per person that around urban areas. Easy to store vehicles for years, but when it comes time to sell them it is too far to drive to save one, or the locals don't care. Good cars get saved, parts cars get scraped. If you could cherry pick them all someone would make money, but you need a place to store all that stuff. Bob

27. I bought, no wait I saved 13 cars from the crusher at the Maxwell Nebraska auction back in July of 11, 3 hour drive from my shop one way! So yes most people are to lazy to go through the effort. I wrote a blog about the sale and Hemmings published it with pictures. google "These cars saved Maxwell neb. auction" you enjoy the article. it caught the attention of a guy from Sweden now he brings groups of 9 to 11 guys three time a year, I help them find cars and parts through out the midwest, they have a 15 pass. van with a u-haul trailer and we hit every place possible and buy stuff & cars, makes the local junk guys very happy! locals are booring and cheap and usually not car guys so they don't help much but these Sweds are nuts about Americana and happy to spend there cash! it's all good.

28. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

^that's an awesome thing going on, the find-it-and-buy-it-from-America tour, that is.