Register now to get rid of these ads!

GMC 302 water pump rebuild questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Oct 17, 2011.

1. iwanaflattie

iwanaflattie

Hello
    I started cleaning my GMC 302 and painting/rebuilding what I can.
    My water pump was full of crap/rust and the pulley didnt turn over by hand.
    I took the pump off the engine and left it in the molasses bath for a while.
    Today I took the plate that goes behind the pump and saw how bad it was.
    A little screwdriver work and most of the crude was out and got the pulley to spin.
    its back in the molasses bath.
    Now the plate that goes behind the housing is badly pitted.
    I couldnt get the pulley off the pump since I dont have a puller but I got it to spin real good.(will post a video soon).

Where can I find a rebuild kit for this pump???
    If I cant find a kit I am sure I can get a new plate laser or water cut by a shop.
    But what to use for gaskets,can I use carburetor gasket sheets and make my own??
    Can I use a rubber sheet and make my own?
    Thansk

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

Ebay used to the place for finding rebuild kits,but a less now.The main problem is finding the bearing/shaft as the low demand and they are made in China.The pump is easily pressed apart and can actually be done in a large shop vise.The seal is a fiber disc and spring that seals on the casting.That casting seal area may have to be machined clean if it worn.
    Usually NOS bearings are so old the grease in the sealed bearing is dried.Bearing part number is W-2445....I believe 37-40 Chevy uses the same parts.
    Thin gasket paper cut to fit works just fine.

3. iwanaflattie

iwanaflattie

thanks.
    I will try to use a vice.
    The bearings seem to be good tho,I was wirebrushing the pulley with a 4'' grinder and the fucker picked up a lot of speed,I thought it was going to take off the table.

4. Truckedup

Truckedup

The shaft must to be pressed from the back of the pump,through the impeller and out the nose of the casting.Leave the pulley in place unless you intend to change it for some reason.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. iwanaflattie

iwanaflattie

so leave the pulley on the shaft got it.
    thanks