Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Hey fellas, just in case you missed it - The Rodder's Journal and The Jalopy Journal is celebrating 20 years of bringing you traditional hot rods and customs by offering you a one-year subscription to TRJ and a H.A.M.B. Alliance membership for only $75. Click here for details.

GM throwout bearing. need long one and autozone can't help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flying53gmc, Jul 22, 2009.

1. flying53gmc

flying53gmc Member

I need to switch from the short gm throwout bearing to the long style, but don't know what the long one came in. I tried to get the guy at autozone to help me today but it was useless to even try to explain it to him. Can you guys give me a vehicle or part number to take to these fellas to punch in their computer. Thanks boys
  2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod Member

Actually you need the long clutch release "bearing and hub" assembly.
  3. flying53gmc

flying53gmc Member

yes, that is correct. I guess technically the bearing portion is probably the same. but, still need a part number for that hub and bearing assembly
  4. 52style

52style Member

go to a napa autozone is for women no offence to the cool car gals
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. marodder62

marodder62 Member

Try Bendtsen's, they have a website. They sell short and long throwout bearings.
  6. 29nash

29nash BANNED

Send in a blonde girl, tell her to look for it, to Ask for the throwout bearing/hub assembly for a 1965 Chivvy. Stand back and dont say anyting, have her Look at it. "No, that's not it, that body thingy is supposed to be longer, maybe I made a mistake, let's try a 1968". ............."No, that's not it. Let's try 1972 truck", ...............Etc, etc. , eventually you'll say, "yes by golly, that's it!"

Actually, a couple of years ago I bought a NEW clutch kit for Chivvy and it came with both the long and the short. The application chart was as long as your arm and included everything from mid 60-s to 83. Got it at NAPA.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  7. Tim Cowan

Tim Cowan Member

Best I remember the diaphram pressure plate uses the the short bearing hub and the "three-finger" Borg- Beck pressure plate requires the long bearing.
  8. k9racer

k9racer Member

Nashville Tenn. Call Dukes Clutch service. 615 242 4163...301 permetrt parkway drive. I hope this helps I have purchased clutches from them for around 40 years.... Bobby..
  9. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50 Member

10. shortbed65

shortbed65 Member

11. patrick66

patrick66 Member
    1. Okie Hambers
    2. Street Kings Motor Club

AutoZoned is for motor oil, and air fresheners only. Their counter idiots can't get past the computer.
  12. Candy-Man

Candy-Man Member

Long Throw Ourt Bearing, Try Part # BCA 614037
  13. Thumper

Thumper Member

Hell.....even if you did come up with a part number at Autozoo......they wouldn't have the sombitch in stock.....:rolleyes:
  14. Piewagn

Piewagn Member

Long throwout bearing GM part# 908092. It is discontinued, but I have a list of dealers that have it in their inventory. If you are interested, I can give you all of their phone numbers so you can call and order it.
  15. dave lewis

dave lewis
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FLY, are you trying to use the long bearing to solve a problem of some kind ?
    Often times the long bearing is just slightly too long and creates another set of issues..(funny how that works!!)
    Mr. gasket # 3855 is an adjustable ball pivot.
    This will move the ball closer to the pressure plate and correct the geometry (angle) of the fork.. Most times poor clutch action is due to mismatched parts and / or addition of after market items like scattershield or block plate type mounts.
    Keep in mind that the fork needs to start over center and move smoothly thru its arc to end up over center on the other end of its travel.
    With an adjustable ball you will be able to fine tune the starting point.
    Good luck
    Dave
  16. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just went through this same problem with my 40 coupe project. SBC with lakewood scattershield. Just last nite I picked up a longer bearing at NAPA part #N1086-SA
    Solved the problem. Gary