Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM alternator wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dooley, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I have a power master alt that had a bad regulator so I bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt it.
    I have a lower amp alt on the car now but the power master is chrome so I'd like to use it.
    The issue is when I rebuilt it I bough a one wire alt conversion kit and that is what I put in it.
    I already have the 3 wire alt wired so what would happen if i wired the one wire the same as the 3 this way if needed I could switch back if something happened?

2. squirrel

squirrel

If it's really a 1 wire alternator, it only has one wire connection, so you can't plug in the plug. But if there's a place to plug in the plug, then plug it in, and see what the idiot light does (if it has one)

3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I have a light spliced in the wire that goes to the ign

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AlternatorHarness31.jpg
    I've hooked up a number of them like this. The diode in the wire to the ignition switch is to keep the alternator from feeding back to the ignition and keeping the engine running. You can wire an idiot light into it as that is how the factory did it.
    It's simple and you know if you hooked it up wrong because the engine won't shut off until you pull the coil wire.
    I got the diode from the Massey Ferguson tractor dealer but you can find them at a
    Radio shack if you can find one or amazon sells packs of them for 7 bucks including shipping.

5. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I have my 3 wire wired like that
    What would happen if I added the one wire with the same wires connected?

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

Or you can wire it to the accessory side of the switch with out the diode so it can't back feed the ignition.