Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. yonahrr

yonahrr

2. yonahrr

yonahrr

Fenders!
    I've been tinkering with the new box truck the last few days and it's finally ready to sell. My helper Kevin is painting the box today so I slipped away to install the rear fenders on the speedster. Of course halfway into it I got called away to fix an AC unit but that's another story. I didn't want the inner fenders to actually touch the fender supports because I figured the paint would just chip so I installed some leather washers between the two. I soaked the washers in oil because it seemed like the right think to do, and I always try to do the right thing. Well, almost always. Miraculously, all the screws lined up and fit. I just stuck one of the fenders on for effect. I think I'm going to squirt some black rubber caulk or black adhesive between the fender and the support just so there isn't any metal to metal contact. I'm also going to put some rubber caulk under the carriage bolts. Seems like the right thing. I had a missed call from Bruce tonight so I think the front fenders must be done too. This could be BIG!

Jerry

Attached Files:

paperdog likes this.
  3. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Jerry,
    I have used rubber sheeting like inner tube material between the fender brackets and the fenders on several installations. That is easier to reverse if you need to remove or adjust the fender. It would work under the fender bolts as well if you made the gasket slightly smaller in diameter so it does not squeeze out & show around the bolt.

The fenders are looking great!!

Jack

4. yonahrr

yonahrr

More fenders

I got to thinking about gluing the fenders in place. Maybe you're right, Jack. I ordered some rubber washers from McMaster Carr. They won't be here until Monday so I cut out the right side door panel and screwed it up. Luckily, Chad at The Sign Shop gave me another one. I didn't feel like starting on it so I cutout the bezels for the lock mechanism. I barely had them roughed in when Bruce called and said the front fenders were done. I zoomed over and picked them up before I had to pick my daughter up. They looked nice. Hey, Chad at The Sign Shop is thinking about buying the new box truck as a rolling sign and sometime delivery vehicle. I gave him a super price. The fender bill was almost twice what I anticipated! I need the money.

Jerry

Attached Files:

paperdog likes this.
  5. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

I`ve been lurking this project for a awhile. It`s really cool to see a progress on your speedster !!

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks pretty colorful to me, or is this just the paper you used for masking?

Attached Files:

7. yonahrr

yonahrr

No, that's just the masking paper. It's a satin black under there.

8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought I saw a pair of long legs framed against a blue sky. A little airbrushed cutie under the fender would be a nice touch.

9. yonahrr

yonahrr

Wait until you see my WWII hot rod idea with nose art, machine guns and a Allison V16.

10. yonahrr

yonahrr

Door panels

The fenders have to wait until Monday evening when my rubber washers arrive so I worked on the door panels. The trick is guessing how much of a margin to leave for the leather. I think I've got it. I'm using 6-32 SS mounting screws with little finish SS washers. All I have is a bottom tap which feels like it's going to snap every time I use it. I ordered a tapered tap and that won't be in until Tuesday evening. So it's hurry up and wait. I guess I'll make up the pieces for the ends of the seat.

Jerry

Attached Files:

11. yonahrr

yonahrr

"I thought I saw a pair of long legs framed against a blue sky. A little airbrushed cutie under the fender would be a nice touch."

I'd need a 1920's pin up girl--a flapper maybe--to be in character. She probably wouldn't be very provocative. Interesting concept, though.

Jerry

12. the leading edge of the door panel can overlap the gap .. reducing wind noise in a open cockpit ride... as it will never be where its abused its ok to sneak it forward ....your use of black silicone is a swell idea if you sandwich it between plastic bag material... when cured it will be smooth look like a molded piece ... try a sample between two plastic sheets .. let cure and peel..I have seen silicone potholders , baking sheets or cake pans cheap at wal**** and they could be cut up forbolt isolation issues ..use your button dies to cut em
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm GO GBT GO

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  13. yonahrr

yonahrr

I thought about the bag trick, but I don't think the goo will cure in there--or it will take a long time to cure. A two part rubber mix might cure. I bought some stuff like that once from McMaster to make some transmission mounts out of.

Jerry

paperdog likes this.
  14. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

RTV Silicone cures partly due to humidity. It sucks up moisture from the air, which is why it doesn't cure in the tube until you open it. More humidity = faster cure.

If you lick your finger and touch the wet silicone, the surface immediately cures under your touch.

15. yonahrr

yonahrr

Drilling, drilling, drilling

Still waiting for the rubber washers to show up. Actually, I ordered a whole bunch of different kinds of washers. So today I drilled holes and tapped holes for the door panels. It was pretty monotonous. I didn't wait for my tapered tap to arrive and used my bottom tap--guess what? It broke on the second to last hole. Impatience! Anyway, when I got home my washers here. So maybe tomorrow I can mount the fenders. Maybe.

Jerry

Attached Files:

paperdog likes this.
  16. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I just love polished brass on cars... :)

17. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Well, if you like polished brass you are welcome to come over & polish some. This is now ready to go back into its steam launch. A typical tidy up job that turned into a complete rebuild.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1,023.6 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      993 KB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
  18. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I hope you left out that copper o-ring on purpose....

19. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I've licked silicone and gotten a different response.

20. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I'll bet it was already cured. ;)

21. yonahrr

yonahrr

Yes, they're on!

I knew fitting the fenders was going to be tricky and that I needed some expert help--a real engineer if you please. Everyone knows Scotland boasts some of the finest engineers in the civilized world. Not that all parts of of Scotland are civilized. If you've ever been to a certain pub in Dundee you know what I mean. Anyway, lucky for me my buddy Neil's brother, Donald (the engineer-green shirt IMG_20140624_163545.jpg IMG_20140624_163617.jpg IMG_20140624_163632.jpg IMG_20140624_120942.jpg IMG_20140624_121017.jpg IMG_20140624_121149.jpg ) was in town. He's been lurching here on this thread since the beginning and always suspected the Speedster was just a wee car. He finally had to come all the way from Fofar, Scotland to verify that the Speedster is indeed an awesome vehicle. He's given it his stamp of approval and even lent a hand installing the fenders.

Damn, this build is getting to the final stages. Well, I could keep tinkering forever, but at some point you call the thing done. Fortunately for this thread, we're not there yet. We still exactly 127.6 items left to install. Then we'll be done. The bulk of the next project arrived today. Don't ask--all in due time, my pretty. While I wait for the seat and door panels, I'll work on the running boards and related stuff. I still haven't ordered the linoleum either.

Jerry

DRD57 likes this.
  22. Squablow

Squablow

Awesome to get some clean side shots of this thing, gives it some scale. The fenders look very appropriate for the car, they're just right.

23. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

You need a shot of him in the car.
    But no seat bottom yet huh?

24. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

25. Marv64

Marv64

To me that engine sounds a lot like a 6 cylinder GMC .Does anone else think so. The biggest problem i would have building a body for this is to decide on whether to cover the engine or not. LOL Marv

26. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

MAN That IS a GIANT speedster !!! It`s been a great journey to follow !!!

27. yonahrr

yonahrr

Seat bottom

Ken called today and said everything was read: the door panels, the seat bottom and the roll around the back of the seat. One day! Now that's service! He did an outstanding job. Now, it's up to me to finish the seat and the rolls. Give Ken a call at Kenco here in Cleveland if you need some work done. Most of the stuff he does is way more complex than my simple seat.

Jerry

Attached Files:

28. yonahrr

yonahrr

Door Panel Pocket

Should it take all day to make a door panel pocket? Well, okay, I goofed off all morning and took a long lunch, but then I worked real hard. Plus you have to wait while the glue dries. The pvc door panel stuff is pretty cool because you can just cut and glue it, although I was having some trouble getting it to bend without breaking it. I had to heat it with the heat gun. So it's not too pretty but no one will see it in the door. And probably no one will every use it since it's only an inch deep. I might be able to put my passport in there when I drive to Irkutsk. I lined the inside with some black leather I had laying around. A monk traveling incognito assisted me.

Jerry

Attached Files:

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Getting closer Jerry. Only 27,859 things left to do.

30. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Hey! Seat with a bottom!

Can a test drive be far away...?