Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

So other than that, how are you doing Jerry?

2. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hello, Helloo, Helloooo
    Sounds kind of empty. Is anybody there? I'm trying out the new picture set up. I forgot where I was so here I am now. The icebox has a lid and I'm going to spray some clear on it. The fenders are at the bodyshop and I need an upholsterer. Once the fenders are on all I'll have is a bunch of little stuff. Of course little stuff can be fun.
    Jerry
    IMG_20140510_155915.jpg IMG_20140509_154905.jpg IMG_20140509_154707.jpg IMG_20140509_154502.jpg IMG_20140509_154446.jpg IMG_20140509_154437.jpg

IMG_20140509_154905.jpg IMG_20140509_154707.jpg

MrModelT, Crazybillybob and paperdog like this.
  3. yonahrr

yonahrr

I think the picture stuff might need a little work.

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't worry Jerry, the last 5% only takes 93% of the build time.

5. seat covers from JC WHITNEY..?

6. yonahrr

yonahrr

Full circle
    Okay, so I can't find an upholsterer. I'm back to doing it myself. I discovered that if I used this nice soft leather I have I can damn near make the button tufting by just pushing in the leather and working it in the holes. Take a look. I'm going to do the whole seat without even making the first hole. Then if it looks good, I'll make holes and add buttons. Hey, it sounds good. What else do I have to do while my fenders get painted?

Jerry IMG_20140514_125110.jpg

MrModelT and paperdog like this.
  7. The upholstry looks good!
    I enjoyed the movie of your life, though six hours long was too much.
    Plus they shouldn't have picked Pee Wee Herman to play you, otherwise I liked it.
    I'm can't wait to see this beast done, I just hope I live long enough!
    Keep us posted!

gas pumper likes this.
  8. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

What are you using to hold the leather down where the buttons go - without making holes?

9. yonahrr

yonahrr

I've been a bum all weekend. But I did go out and get some batting to go over the foam. And I made some leather covered buttons too. But the leather is a little too thick and I'm afraid the buttons might come apart. I'll post some pictures Monday. Actually I didn't use anything to hold the leather in place. It's so supple it just stays where you push it. I think that's the secret I've been missing. You need the right kind of leather for button tufting. I'm still finding my way around this new website. Right now, I liked the old one better.

Jerry

paperdog likes this.
  10. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hot Button Issue

I layed (laid?) out my matting and stuffed some green fiber under it between the holes. Then I spread out the leather and began to poke it into the holes. As I was trying to get up enough nerve to drive a needle through the leather I remembered I didn't have enough buttons so I went back to button making. I got my button making stuff a Hershey a number of years ago. The leather is kind of thick but I think I've got the hang of it now. After about 3 hours I had 18 buttons. A pro could do better but the thickness of the leather slowed me down. I need around 35 buttons. The pictures came out in backwards order so start at the bottom.

Jerry IMG_20140519_150339.jpg IMG_20140519_150328.jpg IMG_20140519_141024.jpg IMG_20140519_140636.jpg IMG_20140519_140559.jpg IMG_20140519_140529.jpg IMG_20140519_140507.jpg

51ViperTruck and paperdog like this.
  11. SUPPLE LEATHER ..... POPPING BUTTONS ...WORKING IN THE HOLES ... WHY NOT USE THE SAME LEATHER the retired upholsterer here said just now loudly ....when viewing the pix she said wiggle the finished buttons they will come apart if not held together now

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  12. I will try to start at the beginning of this adventure and like all the stuff with the new "like "feature ... UNLESS OPRAH PUTS YOUR FACE ON A REGULAR SYNDICATED PROGRAMING THE DEPRESSION MAY STICK

13. yonahrr

yonahrr

IMG_20140520_141848.jpg IMG_20140521_135706.jpg IMG_20140521_135855.jpg IMG_20140521_144844.jpg Poke a hole in my theory.

Well, I've checked, measured, run the data, means tested, computer modeled, looked at the angles, polled the experts, done a historical study, read the background literature, filled out the applications and prayed to the saints of upholstery, hot rods, fools, drunks and hopeless causes and today I decided I was ready to poke a hole in my leather. I wasn't hard. I just threaded the string through the button and the needle, pushed my finger against the leather into the foam and jammed down on the needle. After my leather was no longer a virgin the other holes were easy. I might have finished the entire seat if I hadn't been called to pick up my son from school. I still have to do the top and side row of buttons and pad everything out. On the way home I stopped by to see Bruce at the body shop. He had a good coat of primer on the fenders and was ready to sand. Big things are starting to happen! (Don't know how the pictures came out first.)

Jerry

paperdog likes this.
  14. yonahrr

yonahrr

Slow poke
    If knew what I was doing I'd have this seat done. Kudos to guys who can really do this stuff. There's a video on youtube of a guy button tufting a high end couch. He's like a machine, poking his needle, tying off his buttons, stapling off the leather. Wow! My diamonds aren't so straight but then I'm not done pulling and tugging and stapling. I haven't even stapled the strings in the back because I'm afraid I might have to adjust them here and there. The real upholsterers are laughing. Hey, I'm saving $500 so I can live with a few flaws--okay a bunch of flaws. Only tall people will be able to see into the cockpit anyway. The sides of the seat will be the challenge. That's tomorrow.

Jerry IMG_20140522_105252.jpg IMG_20140522_105721.jpg IMG_20140522_131319.jpg IMG_20140522_133042.jpg

volvobrynk and paperdog like this.
  15. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Looks like … the comfy couch!

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. SR100

SR100

Tall people and travelling monks on yaks. Just drive faster...

17. do not button the sides ez peezey

18. I'm sorry, but there's something vaguely obscene about this photo. But I can't stop myself from scrolling back up the page to look at it. o_O

19. yonahrr

yonahrr

Obscene? Maybe you need to see my therapist. She's very reasonable.

Thanks to all the veterans out there. I missed going to Nam by a few lottery numbers but my brother served two tours. The older I get the more I appreciate the sacrifice our soldiers made and still make.

It's been a busy but I've been able to sneak into the shop and work a few hours. Most of the time I just stare at the seat or maybe measure or draw lines on the foam. As you can see, I get the lines wrong and have to fill in my holes. After I get up enough nerve I poke a hole in the leather and push through a button. It averages about one button an hour. The leather is coming up a little short on the right side but I've got a plan for that. Turning the corner is the hardest part. The diamonds are no where near as perfect as I'd like but when I staple up the top and bottom I think I can hide a lot of sins but pulling this way and that. Let's hope so.

Jerry IMG_20140523_122224.jpg IMG_20140525_132111.jpg IMG_20140525_133927.jpg IMG_20140525_141106.jpg IMG_20140526_110105.jpg

paperdog and ezdusit like this.
  20. yonahrr

yonahrr

IMG_20140528_092942.jpg IMG_20140528_130703.jpg IMG_20140529_142252.jpg IMG_20140529_142307.jpg The prodigal upholsterer returns.

I was working on my seat--well actually I was staring at the seat. I figure I've got at least an hour per button of just staring time--when who should call me but Ken the upholsterer. He'd been kidnapped by a band of yak riding monks and taken to Outer Mongolia. After three weeks he'd managed to escape. He stopped by my shop and when he saw my button tufting he offered me a job. I told him the seat back was almost done but I still needed him to do the seat cushion and the roll around the cockpit. He said no problem. We'll see. I started stapling the bottom down and by tomorrow I think I can set the seat in the speedster and see what it looks like.

Jerry

paperdog likes this.
  21. maybe your" KEN " dude just stares at his work for hours too

22. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Jerry,
    I have a seat to make soon too. And sir if mine looks half as nice as yours I will be a happy boy! Looks Great!
    CBB

23. F6 project

F6 project
    from Mexico

Hi Jerry,
    I have been reading your blog about the seagrave speedster and feel it like a bible in my hands....I just bought a 1929 seagrave firetruck and want to borrow the engine for a speedster... As I am looking for detailed technical information of the F6 6 cylinder Engine, I find all about American Lafrance, but almost nothing about Seagrave....I wonder If you or somebody else know more about this F6 engine and why the ALF motor is more popular then the Seagrave one for speedsters?
    As far as I got is that the seagrave has arround 1000 CID and less then 90Hp...but what torque does it have?

I would appreciate some comments about my doubts

Have a great time

karsten

karsten

24. yonahrr

yonahrr

Karsten,
    I got an engine and operation manual from some guys in the Seagrave Club. You can find them online. They have a forum. As I understand the engine is 150 HP which seems about right given the displacement. My 1914 REO is 226 CID and develops 35 HP. The Seagrave is a comparable engine. If you do the math that's 154 HP. The torque is the same as a 2-6-2 ALCO steam locomotive. The ALF's are neat because they are chain drive and the frame is better looking and there's the ALF tradition. The early Seagraves are chain drive too but they have the brake on the drive sprocket which detracts from the looks. But hey, we use what life gives us and if we do right, it turns out to be something unique.

Jerry

paperdog likes this.
  25. yonahrr

yonahrr

Gentlemen, be seated.

I stapled down the bottom of the seat then took it over and set it in the Seagrave. There is one big problem. (Notice how there are always problems.)
    I'd really like to use only the medium brown hide for all the leather work. That means that beside the main seat, the seat bottom, the roll around the cockpit and the door panels all have to come from one hide. If I can't get it from that one hide, I'll have to highlight with leather from the different colored hide IMG_20140530_134623.jpg IMG_20140530_134527.jpg IMG_20140531_150629.jpg IMG_20140531_150728.jpg . It won't be bad but it will complicate the situation and tax my creative powers which are already barely functioning. So I stuck in the seat and checked the fit of the seat bottom plywood. Then I played with the roll around the top. I laid the other colored leather up there just to see what it would look like. You can give me your feedback. I haven't stapled the top of the seat in place so it looks funky. I can't do that until I know what I'm doing with the roll above it.

Jerry

paperdog likes this.
  26. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hey Karsten,
    Did you buy the Seagrave that was on ebay a week or so ago?
    Jerry

27. stay seated until all movement ceases...
    the excess from your back cushion should be enough for your roll .. another color /or fabric(vinyl) can be sewn to it to do the pulling and stretching and be hidden or cut off after securing....and if vertical seams are needed in the roll ..so be it... evenly spaced or put where the back flows into the sides will look fine cows are only so big use up all the hide scraps that matches and the use of other colors in areas tha are not facing outward .... oils and liquids(blood) spilled can help blend colors...... your local old time shoe repair store can match colors for you.. if they can match colors in womens shoes to match gowns ...a few shades of brown no problem ...
    in my my opinion do only the seat back, bottom, back roll... in the same color .like a piece of furniture its separate .. the doors and the rest should be aluminum- metal -wood with a fabric pocket(if any)its a door dammit!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  28. F6 project

F6 project
    from Mexico

Hello Jerry, yes it is the one.

Best regards

karsten

karsten

29. F6 project

F6 project
    from Mexico

Hi Jerry! Thanks for the answer. this sounds real. As you say, we have to use what nature gives us, and so I will do, having your blog as a perfect guideline for my project. I m starting asap. meanwhile half the hardware is together, but still waiting the stubborn ole man sells his 1930 intact packard frame for a better price...
    Anyhow, my friends and I are more than anxious to start cutting metal sheets.

Have a great sunday afternoon

karsten

karsten