Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Danny G

Danny G

Carroll Caudle and Ridgeway ran modified production,I never knew of them running the gas classes. One of them came up with the idea of pouring the Edelbrock tr1 half full of epoxy because it had too much area for a little motor

loudbang likes this.
  2. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, they were MP cars, but folks were talking about the early tunnelrams and they both ran them. Caudle did run Gas with his Vega (I've seen pictures of MP in this car too), but I realize that's later than what's allowed here.
    The early Edelbrocks were pretty notorious for gas puddling in the plenum and back firing. I think the epoxy helped with that too.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    loudbang and II FUNNY like this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Grumpy did a lot of internal work, a real lot

4. Larry T

Larry T

I don't see a problem here. :D

edelbrock tunnelram.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Never seen that secret! I seen some pics built in the top half by extended runners of a carb plate, don't know which came first.

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Guys there's a bit of a heated discussion going on at the NSRA uk forum, some of the gasser guys have fitted steering racks on the rear of their front axles and the organisers of our gasser class want to ban them.
    So we're there any cars back in the day with a rack ???
    I can't think of any

7. Langy - no pictures handy but I can guaranty you that racks on straight axles were used a bit in the Gasser Era. When mounted to the axle you have to have a sliding shaft to make up for the travel that the rack will be going through as the suspension cycles and it's important to keep that well lubed so it doesn't seize up.

loudbang likes this.
  8. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Not in my day, never saw one

loudbang likes this.
  9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Cheers for that, yeah I've fitted many setups myself and they work very well.
    What is needed is some cast iron evidence that they were used back then.

10. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well folks I think I managed to get the bumper figured out what do guys think

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453086231.437493.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453086255.885567.jpg

11. The bumper is perfect!

12. loudbang

loudbang

Looks like you built a "traditional" tube bumper to me. :rolleyes: But add some class and grind off the lettering on the caps.

13. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Actually I don't like the caps they are not right the shape is not correct so I'm looking for some old ones but they are hard to find if I can't find some I will definitely do that

loudbang likes this.
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might be able to grind on those caps and give them that more rounded edge look. I was as the hardware store this weekend looking at their caps and they look the same as what you have on there.

15. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Use a short section of the pipe, thread on a cap and turn off the ridge and a larger corner radius on a lathe for more of a custom made look

DND

loudbang and Baron like this.
  16. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

The lathe is good. No sense spending hours with a grinder.

17. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I might just try that my lathe is big enough to chuck the cap in but I'm not sure there is enough material to change the radius like I want for as much as these things cost you would think there would be a lot of material but there isn't

18. "The use of a variable rack was invented by Arthur Ernest Bishop,[2] in the 1970s, so as to improve vehicle response and steering "feel," especially at high speeds. He also created a low cost press forging process to manufacture the racks, eliminating the need to machine the gear teeth."

19. Did a little ol' school body work today.

Damaged.jpg
    Soldered.jpg

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  20. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well here is the best magic I can do on these crappy new caps before cutting through had to weld it up twice and start over lol these caps are about as crooked as you get but I guess it's not too bad now to copy it on the other one

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453176237.435778.jpg

21. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Did t\you try looking at fence post tops for shape?

22. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Yes I did and they were way off the more I look at it the more I am ok with it

23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. Rack & Pinion steering has been around since the late 1800's on three wheeled cycles. Pierce Arrow had the first Power Version in 1926. BMW had manual versions in the 1930's and quite a few British cars were using R&P in the early 1950's. In the US the first widespread use would have been the Pinto in 1970 (Although most every internet source says, incorrectly, that it was 1974). I can remember seeing a FIAT Altered at Irwindale in the late 60's with R&D as I was fascinated by it's operation. It was either 67 or 68

25. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work. Look 100% better.

26. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

It was just a thought. They still look good. To old brain fade don't remember what they looked like then. Where they more rounded?

27. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

A pipe with screw on caps just looks right.

28. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks guys I think it just right

Baron likes this.
  29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I figure here is the place to ask..Rear axle wheel studs, how much is supposed to be sticking out of the lug nut? thanks..

30. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as the stud has 2 or 3 threads showing beyond the lug nut, it will pass NHRA tech.