Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasser front axle build up???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Dec 4, 2005.

1. fitzee

fitzee

Got in my head to look around to see how front axles are mounted in gassers.Man I hunted hi and low and all I keep coming up with is pics of gassers.Never new it would be so hard to find info on how to install a front axle in a gasser.I remember a few build ups from this site but can`t lay my hands on them.Any good info out there on installing a axle in a Gasser??

2. 46stude

46stude
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do a search for threads started by TINGLER- he followed his Fairlane axle swap pretty well. Only trouble is most of his pics are showing up as red X's. :(

TINGLER, still got those pics on your computer somewhere??

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a pic of Ford Freak's '60 Falcon Gasser mock-up...............

[​IMG]

4. brandon

brandon

would depend on what car ...and what style suspension setup ....as there is more than just parallel leaf....hahah brandon

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. fitzee

fitzee

Ya i know there is more then one setup. I`m looking just for the parallel leaf set ups.

6. gowjobs

gowjobs

Here's a parallel leaf setup on a Vette done in the late sixties:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Here's a few...

CC

Attached Files:

8. We documented the install of my friend's '55 gasser and this is the same setup on my '56. Here is the link:

http://www.rebelrodscarclub.com/members/lonniecobb/55straightaxle.htm

9. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I build and ship gasser chassis all over and have for the last couple of years kinda evolved from street rods and pro streets to gassers. we use the speedway tube set up or mas 4 inch drop like on my 55 or straight for the nose up attitude. i have found that on a car like a tri five car that using the vega style flaming river box out front and cross steer with the center link and drag link paralel and flat that it has zero bump steer. black magic and godzilla 55s both have this and work great and on race trak at 110 it is super straight and easy to drive ..

Attached Files:

10. willys_truck

willys_truck

Here is my willys P/U , just mocked up the 4" drop speedway axle kit.

[​IMG]

11. Mojo

Mojo

Quick question about spring layouts... I had always read that it was better to anchor leafs by the front eye, and have the rear eye located with a shackle. Reason being, that it lets the wheels roll back a bit when hitting a bump, where as if the shackles are up front, they roll forward and hop over bumps. But on most gasser pics, the shackles are up front.

Does it not matter, or is there a reason?

12. GaryC

GaryC

Mine has the shackles up front as well. It's been like this since the '60s.
    [​IMG]

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Doubt it matters, although it would be a stronger mounting location at the rear due to the frame size in that area plus the added structure of the firewall (in unitbody cars anyway) holding things better.

I would say the most likely reason is the frame getting lower at the firewall just makes a front shackle setup easier to run!

14. TINGLER

TINGLER

My shakel set up is at the front.

I would post some pics of how I put my axle in, but FORD FREAK's is exactly the same.

TINGLER

15. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Front mounted shackles allowed a little more lift as they swung through the arc before the suspension weight was applied to the front of the chassis, this aided in weight transfer for traction.

CC

16. porknbeaner

porknbeaner

Willy's Nice to see the spring shackles on the proper end of the spring.

They don't handle worth a flip with the shackles on the front. Every time you hit a bump your caster goes whack, and don't even plan on hangin' onto one when the wheels come back down.

17. MattStrube

MattStrube

Anyone have pictures of a unibody car like a Falcon or Nova with a straight axel? I'd like to see how that is set up too.

18. CH3NO2

CH3NO2

Damn, now I'm thinking about a straight axle for my '71 El Camino. I need to stay off of this board. Too many ideas.

19. fitzee

fitzee

This is the stuff I`m looking for.thanks,seen this buildup a while back but could not seem to find it.thanks

I too have notice the different location of the shackles and wonder which is better.People call it bump steer but what I can recall the problem with parallel leafs is they tend to walk.What I mean is if you hit a bump with the right wheel and the axle moves upward while the left spring remaines in it stock location the axle will then move eather forward or reward because of the swing of the shackle.My understanding of this is what gives you the wheel hop or bump steer.Any truth to this? For this reason I wonder why there are two ways to mount your shackles,on the front or on the rear.Now which of this help the bump steer problem?? Also I notice the great number of spring in some of the cars,maybe the stiffness helps stop the bump steer problem.

20. k-member

k-member

This ones been buggin me too. I put my shackles to the rear as well. A few of the Jeep guys told me it would probably work better for a street car that way and I cant remember why. But alot of the ones pictured are in front. It makes more sence to me to put the shackle in the back just like most rear axles are mounted, Hell the car mostly goes in the same direction not both directions at the same time. I thought Mike Landwehr ( I could be wrong) explained it well in an other post, something about bad steering handling coming down from a wheelie. But damn what do I know. BTW my front springs are realy short because Studebaker Champs have a very short front end so my springs are only about as long as my tires about 26 or so inches and my drag link is even shorter so I realy cant see much bump steer anyway. Will it really make a big differance?

21. GomezGarage

GomezGarage

22. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

23. k-member

k-member

Thanks Bill that helps alot. My frame is way over kill, no unibody and my front spring or fixed end up front is real clean looking. I kind of thought that the shackle up front on the Champion looked a little worse than the molded in front mounts that I made. Those Studes have a weird nose on them, and you can see alot of frame inbetween the head lights and bullet, because it dives back so far and I just did'nt think the shackles out front looked as well as the smooth look. And I was hopeing for a smoother ride.

24. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uhhhh......how about the Falcon pic I posted about 5 or 6 posts before yours ??:confused:

As far as shackle location, as far as I recall, the shackles on Fords & Chevys are all in the front. I always figure the Engineers might have placed 'em there because it was the best spot for them.