Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Gary Howard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 8, 2007.

1. bonesy

bonesy

Very nicely written article. I like the way you invited me in your all's conversation. I enjoyed it as much as learning about Mr Howard and his work. Good job and thanks for the read.

2. oaktree

oaktree

Great editorial about a great automotive artist and craftsman.

3. I'm a big fan of Gary's work.It was so cool to go to his shop on the crawl and then get to see Jimmie's Ford in the garage!

4. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

My hero...........the best.

5. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Ryan - I just learnt a lot.

6. sololobo

sololobo

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I went nuts the first time I saw one of Jimmy Vaughns rides, and a long time Austin pal, Eddie Stout of "Pee-Wee" records told me about Gary. I have loved everything he has done!! Thanx for more insight into "Mr. Smooth"-Sololobo/Roadburners of Omaha
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7. Flatattack

Flatattack

Congratulations Gary and thanks Ryan for showing his talents to all of us.

Skullcracker put me in touch with Gary when i was chasing pics of Jimmie's 54. He is one of the nicest and enthusiastic blokes you could talk to and will certainly go down in history as one of our all time great customizers.

8. ChrisMejia

ChrisMejia

9. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Gary Howard, is one of my heroes! His style is amazing, subtle and clean. I was really glad when I got to meet him at the last Round-Up. It is good to see that a man that is as humble and talented as him, is getting some good recognition. The hot rod and custom world needs more Gary Howards.
    Jimmy White

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

My Gary Howard story.
    I drove my 54 Chevy up to Holland MI, for a Leadsled, when Jimmy was driving Mike 's Exotica. A real quiet guy came up to me and asked about my Lavender Pearl paint on the Chevy, and how it had the depth it did. We talked about the methods of painting, and types, brands of pearls, and other things. Even when I asked him what he was building, he didn't embellish, or brag, or go wild describing his project. Later on, I saw him talking with Jimmy, and went up to talk to them, turns out it was Gary Howard. I was surprised! I had always admired him, and his work, but never met him. Even when I did, he was so low low key, I would have never taken him to be such a big influence in the Kustom world. Very humble, non self-promoting. But so full of knowledge and talent!
    A couple years later, I see Steve's Caddy in TRJ. I like to believe I might have influenced Gary, or helped him sort out the Lavender paint he put on that car.

11. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Iowa farmboy does gooder, Congrat's Curly ,nice work.

12. You get your ideas where you find them. I was talking to Jimmie at the GNRS while he was wiping the '54 down. I looked inside and noticed how Gary had chromed ALL the metal trim around the headliner. It's the same style as the trim in my Olds Holiday. One of those SHAZZAM! insights. That's how mine will be. Big Tip of the Viper's Top Hat to both of those guys.

13. texastramp

texastramp

Hey, I know it's been a long time since this thread was started and I have been trying to think of something really neat as hell to say to add to it. But it seems in the end it really comes down to the fact that I'm really lousy at knowing how to put my thoughts in words about all the really great comments so all I can really say is

"THANKS a BUNCH" to everyone that posted on this thread. I really appreciate it. Karma like that goes on and on. Also a big big ole thanks to Ryan for making me look good and for making me dig a little deeper than I usually will.

Gary

14. RF

RF

Gary, I'm still heartbroken you turned down my marriage proposal back when I was shooting Exotica...but I'll always love you!

15. Plowboy

Plowboy

Great Post! I was glad to go on the garage crawl and stop by Gary's shop at the roundup last year.

It's good to see that you don't need a big fancy shop to build cool shit.

I thought that Zephyr was supposed to be super top secret???? Does the owner know those pics are on here??? Ha Ha Ha

16. I wish someone would have told me you were on the garage crawl with us,I would liked to have met you!

17. 53burb

53burb

I thought that Zephyr was supposed to be super top secret???? Does the owner know those pics are on here??? Ha Ha Ha
    That owner has another top secret project that all are going to be talking about, stay tuned........... KNUX!

18. ChrisMejia

ChrisMejia

Wow... Did anyone pick up the latest issue of The Rodder's Journal? The photo shoot that Steve Coonan did was almost identical to the one that we did for the shop! Jimmy Vaughan's '54 Vicky in the same seedy Pomona alleyway. Crazy coincidence I must say.

19. McKee

McKee

The ice green 55 Chevy pickup is stunning!

Attached Files:

20. Janne

Janne

21. i'm sorry i i missed this a year a go. there was a nice little write up on gary and the rest of austin in the new street rodder.

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'm a big fan.

23. Von Franco

Von Franco

Gary`s the coolest Endsville.......................

24. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

I couldnt say it better........

25. Perhaps a LSRU09 garage craw stop? I'd love to see his shop, and current projects.

26. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

That box set is killer,isn't it? Worth every cent of $70!

27. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

We did the interior on the Jimmy Vaughn 54 Ford. Even the inside of that car is amazing. His work is just incredible.

28. Rough Stock

Rough Stock
    from Austin, Tx

I used to visit Austin as a non-local years ago. I remember riding shotgun in a neighborhood somewhere, while my buddy was cruisin us home to shower up before a party. He and I always helped each other nurse the wounds of losing one girlfriend, or another (we were always losing girlfriends back then).

As we came around a corner I saw the 60 Impala sittin in the driveway. I forgot to tell my pal to stop, cuz I was gettin out to take a closer look at it. He must've seen it too, cus I was only goin about 10 miles/hr (which was slow for a couple guys who can't hold on to a girl for too long) when I hit the grassy yard across the street and jogged my way to a stop. This is the moment of my conception as a car lover.

It wasn't until 11 years later(when my wife and I moved to Austin), that I saw the Impala again and discovored the man who built it. I equate what happened to me, to be the same thing I see happen almost daily. When a young kid sees my truck, most have no idea why, but they love it. There is something so alien about it, but undeniably cool. They can't help but to coo and point and even trip themselves in awe.

I am that kid... and Gary is that cool.

29. Zephyr3789

Zephyr3789

Awesome article Ryan, that 37' Zephyr is bad! I wish we could see pictures of the entire car!

30. Yesiree, Gary is one sweet hot rod man. Always nice and understated (just like his un-radical, way-too-kool cars) and I just love going out to his place. He can really wield a hammer & torch and turn out the bestest stuff I've ever seen. Why else would J.V. and other notables have him do their cars, the man knows what the hell he is doing. And he never brags on hisself. That's what makes him neater than most.

Mikey
    www.MikeysPinstriping.com
    "I've Done Bad Stuff to Gary's Cars"