Register now to get rid of these ads!

Garage floor moisture! I need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by recycler, Jan 11, 2005.

1. recycler

recycler

I have a very well insulated 2 car garage with a painted concrete floor. When I open the door on damp days my floor gets very wet very fast from condensation. It is dangerous and I'm worried about rust under my equipment etc. I don't have a small walk in door- only the overhead. I don't know if there is anything I can do to help prevent this. Is there anything I can paint on the floor to keep it from happening? Anyone else have this problem?? Thanks Brad

2. Petejoe

Petejoe

Yes, We have the problem here in Ohio but usually only during the spring when the air warms and the concrete is still cold from the frozen surrounded ground. Lately with the warmer than usual weather here its also that way now.
    I have found the only two ways to help with an uninsulated garage floor is to keep heat in the garage with a fan moving the air. I have also found that by putting overhead ceiling fans (Cheap at Lowe's on sale @ 15 a piece) will rotate the air enough to keep the floor dry. Be sure you have good roof ventilation otherwise nothing will work.

3. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Concrete would need to be heated to above the dew point of the
    air. Dehumidifier won't work, a fan to circulate air would.

tt

4. just steve

just steve
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My old garage gets some floor sweat in the summer from that -- cold slab + warm humid air = damp floor. I try to keep the door closed as much as possible, and I also run a dehumidifyer in the garage. Pretty well solves the problem. (If the moisture is removed from the air, it can't condense.)

A window-type air conditioner would do the same job, probably cost the same to run, and keep the garage more comfortable to work in.

Steve.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

My neighbor keeps a stack of cedar boards against one wall of his garage and doesn't have moisture problems since he has done this.

6. recycler

recycler

Thanks guys. I will try the cedar board trick and probably ceiling fans. Brad