Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front engine jr dragster (vintage style)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinastirSpeedShop, Jan 20, 2013.

1. I have been thinking about getting my son and daughter into Jr dragsters. Not to travel, but run at our local strip. Let them run heads up against each other and other Jr that come to the track. Has anyone seen one before? I am looking for idea. Thanks

2. edweird

edweird

i'd like to see one too.

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

My son started out in jr's in 1992 I think. Now my grandkids are in it. Ive seen a fake front engine car that hid the rear mounted engine but a true f.e.d. isn't legal as far as I know.

4. subscribed-
    I was wondering about this too. I've got a couple young-uns and Renegade Raceway is about a mile from my house. They run the lil guys there but it all is new shtuff

5. Yes I am sure they would not be legal to compete. But I think it would be cool to see them race heads up and when other JR dragster show up for test and tune, let them run with them.

6. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

these are just fun karts im sure but im sure it wouldnt be too hard to build one that worked well. the blue one sold for big bucks recently.its a mickey thompson
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Now that is what I am talking about.. Thanks for sharing.

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Would be cool but not legal. They would consider it too dangerous I bet because of the drive chain running in or by the cockpit. Although I think it could be done safely I used to race Mini Sprints with chain driven bike motors running just outside the cockpit.

9. Yes that what I was thinking. But using a standard jr dragster axle where the spocket is mounted in the center of the axle. You would have to use a heavy wall material to cover the spocket, chain and axle (scatter shield) just in case it came apart. But, this would still allow there feet to be on both side and still covered.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  10. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Don't know but I'm thinking one of these would be cool for a pit cruiser.

11. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

this is the coolest thread in a while im 15 an thinking about buying a tubing bender and building my own

12. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

13. lawman

lawman

Thank's for the great picture's.

14. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

the red one hanging on the wall is owned by rich at radir wheels. I have looked at it many times and thought of making one. few problems he has said about it is the chain drive limits where you sit. the rear sprocket pushes the seat back your legs sit out side the body.

a small rear sprocket to a jack shaft could fix the seating position and balance of the car.

I think with some thinking and looking in the rule book you could make it legal to race in the jr dragster class.

i would love to see them done.

15. Saxxon

Saxxon

Front engine cars are for sure -not legal in the Jr. Dragster class. We've run one very successfully for the last 6 years and have seen all the variations out there.

Everything from the flip top funny cars to 4 link cars and monoshock chassis as well as an altered body Jr. In all cases the engine is hung off the back. The altered had a fake plastic engine up front with the rear turtle deck covered the real engine. Looked kind of hokey but the kid driving it loved it. And that's what counts

The Jr. class is about the most paranoid class there is. It's really hung up on safety and rightly so. You have kids running faster than a 5 litre Mustang in the 1/8 and to be honest, crashes and engine failures are not as uncommon as you would think.

Having said all that I think it's the coolest class out there and really wished we had something like that when I was 12 or 13

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  16. edweird

edweird

how bout a rear engine funny car jr. dragster ala dunn & reath.

17. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Very cool! Would be every hot rod kid's dream to own one of those jr. dragsters.

18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

There are a lot of small ATV quads out there that are shaft driven automatics that could easily be converted. plus this one has an electric start

Attached Files:

19. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Having been working on jr drgasters for about 14 years now I have heard the reason you don't see front engined jr dragsters is that the rule makers don't want kids under 16 years old sitting behind an engine in an open car.

20. I think you could do it , but not with the standard Jr dragster stuff.
    Then you'd be in a class that's different than Jr dragster.
    Outlaw, exhibition, crackle car, fun cart, pit car.

The last digger in post 12 looks like fun. I have a rotax that needs something traditional built around it.

21. Saxxon

Saxxon

I am in full agreement that a FED style or vintage style Jr. Dragster would be uber-cool but keep in mind that we are dealing with 8 - 17 year old kids here and when it comes to their safety IHRA and NHRA will knee jerk hard.

The whole point of the engine in the back is to keep any fuel, oil or parts from blowing back into the driver. I have seen 8.90 and 7.90 motors (Which are alcohol based by the way) do just that. I've also see clutches let go and belts get tossed a fair distance and on at least 1 occasion, a slick let go on a burnout tossing rubber in all directions. There is also a potential visibility issue.

I would love to see it but I believe it would be highly unlikely that the sanctioning bodies will make any adjustments this radical to a program that has proven to be very successful

22. Frustration

Frustration
    from PA

I just stumbled on this thread. I'm the guy that built the blue FED shown in an earlier post. It is only a wagon that I used to pull my son around in. I've been working on the Comp Coupe in these pictures as he now wants power and all. It goes 35-40 now, but doesn't get "into the converter" in the short area we have to ride it. I think it would do better than 40MPH if we had a little longer track...May have to see if "Beaver Bob" will let us run it at the Jalopy Drags next summer. Keep them coming. The Fox Trap, Barrowed Time, and Elite Fantasy cars are photos i found on the web and thought that you may like. Tommy

Attached Files:

23. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I agree. Some of them will out run a decent street car and I've also seen them get on their heads a few times too. But it would be cool.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  24. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

They are quick, when I had one for my nephew to drive we were making some test passes during the regular Friday night test-n-tune at the track. Well when we made one pass the tower left the boards setup for the 1/4 instead of the 1/8th, anyways we make the run, he lets off at the 1/8th then lets the car coast to the 1/4, and it ran a 14.13 @ only 67 mph. It ran only a 8.00 @ 81 mph in the 1/8 on that pass (the 60' on that pass was a piss poor 1.68). That coasting 14.13 @ 67 mph dropped a lot of jaws that night, most of the cars that were there that night couldn't run close to that running the 1/4 all out.

25. jesse1980

jesse1980

They are pretty cool, a roller will set you back 3500 for a good one. My buddy's kids used to run them. He has them in his attic at his shop. If you want his number let me know, he's selling them.

26. This is what I was thinking. Any more pictures of this one around. Thank you for sharing

27. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

LOL!!! I like that little digger!

28. I see your points on the safety issues. My son and daughter are my whole life and I wouldnt want anything to happen too them. So those are good points.

As far as getting the chassis approved or anything like that. These will be for fun too run doing test and tune at our local track. Nothing more.. Maybe a "littleman half evil 333" design would be also cool...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8379579&postcount=204

But thank you for your input

29. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

A "littleman half evil 333" would be good way to do a nostalgia style jr dragster, but I'd make the front, and rear axles wider than what you see on jr's today. All that extra body work any wind will really tend to blow it around on the track.

30. Yes I was thinking about this one. This is the widest I found

http://www.motivationaltubing.com/AXLE/300865.html.

But I think it will be wide enough.