Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Frenzel Speed

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Ant B.

Ant B.

I see somebody got their Leica out. Really good camera work. Creamy and dreamy.

And man that is a cool motor.

3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i'm speechless.

4. One helluva write-up.Amazing engine!

5. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes sir. I shot with both a Leica M9 and a Sony A7 using 1950's era lenses. Knowing the light was gonna be fluorescent blue and lacking, I wanted to use soft glass wide open for the dreamy effect. Plus, it kind of works with the whole "dream" blower and all...

Anyway, my biggest take away from the experience was how well Frenzel had their shit together in 1949. While Keith did A LOT of work to get this setup looking the way it looks now, you can tell he started with a really good casting.

Left Coast Trimmers likes this.
  7. Ant B.

Ant B.

I'm a fashion photographer by trade. I shoot in studios and really carefully thought out environments and lighting. Even with that it's hard to get convincing looks similar to this. Did you do a lot of work in post with saturation or?

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I did push the saturation slider to the left a tad, but that's it. Done in batch. I'll pm you with details... I don't wanna stray this thread off topic.

Outback likes this.
  9. banjorear

banjorear

Great story. Thanks for sharing and awesome picts. I can't wait to see more about the motor build up as well.

One of biggest swap meet regrets was not picking up a Frenzel I found at Hershey in '93. I think the guy was asking $1K for it w/ two 48 carbs. This was certainly a lot of scratch, but I had it on me for I was on the hunt for flathead speed stuff that year.

This was when the fields of Hershey were still grass and it was way out in the back corner of one of them. I remember hemming and hawing over the piece. I passed on it for I didn't want to carry it back. Stupid mistake of my youth.

Certainly a unique piece that looks cool on the right application.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Left Coast Trimmers likes this.
  10. The "Thing of beauty" bar has been set very high now.
    What is it going into?
    I think I remember Doc saying he had a salt car in the works.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I believe it is going into a "salt inspired" '32 sedan.

12. PG

PG

Fantastic write up and pictures. Love reading history like this with my morning coffee.

13. Thanks for the sneak peek! That is a cool piece!

14. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I love reading your articles on rare pieces and this motor is definitely a beauty!!!

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

16. That is absolutely the dreamiest looking flathead I have ever laid eyes on! Nice write up....If we're good, can we pretty please get a video of it running? Maybe after the roundup....

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've been sorta pissed for about a week over 2 deleted threads I didn't feel were that far OT, but after this I can't possibly be pissed at anything HAMB.
    That is the most beautiful engine I've ever seen. Hope you run another feature on building the engine and another on the dyno runs.
    You've really outdone yourself on this one Ryan.

18. banjorear

banjorear

I just noticed the pan on that thing. Is that one of those ScoT repop pans?

Dang, that is one great looking motor.

Curious on the cam choice.

19. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

this thing is a piece of art..
    beautiful pictures Ryan.. thanks!

we had the Frenzel in the trunk of the Jack Stewart car when we visited GNRS in 2013. good to se it went to a good home!
    -Palle

Outback likes this.
  20. silverdome

silverdome

The simplicity of the design is amazing and you have the spec sheet of how it was built so maybe the people that are reproducing the Riley carbs can reproduce this as well. I can't wait to see it running.

21. *mikey*

*mikey*
    from LA

I say this with all due respect. I know the '32 sedan this motor is going in and it's a great car with a great look. I'd love to own and drive it.

However, I truly believe this motor needs to go into something more appropriate... more period...

There is nothing wrong with the "rolling bones" look and that in and of itself doesn't make the sedan inappropriate for this motor, but I think such a special motors deserves just as special of a home. Maybe a late 40's styled '32 roadster or even a Neikamp inspired track roadster or.......

I guess what I am getting at is that I think Doc should think long and hard about where this motor ends up. It needs the right home.

And again, I mean no offense at all by my opinions. And I think this motor and that sedan is great no matter what happens. I just thought I would lay my unsolicited opinion out there.

22. Marcy

Marcy

Don Orosco oil pan.
    Saw the motor last week---beautiful. There were 2 Frenzels for sale at Hershey last year but neither had the Frenzel intake---never seen one before.

Marcy

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You stated your opinion respectfully - well done. And I can see what you are saying... I too like that little sedan. Here it is:

[​IMG]

It's a fantastic car. The profile is sublime and I love just about everything that guy over at Salt Flat Speed Shop does. He has a good style.

All that said, I'd love to see this motor in a really simple car too. Something without a whole lot of bells, whistles, features... and other things that distract the eye from the motor. Hell, if it were me this thing would be going in a very basic black '29 on deuce rails. Done.

Then again, I can think of a whole lot of worst places this motor could end up. That sedan is pretty hot... And if it suits Doc, it's fine with me!

Outback likes this.
  24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

A friend of mine has one in his collection with the intake.
    They are neat.

Attached Files:

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think I know about this one... But I don't think that is a Frenzel intake.

There's also:

1. A frenzel at Speedy Bill's museum

2. Another on a roadster I know of in Socal

3. One I found on the internet that a guy owns in the midwest somewhere.

4. One that got stolen from Vintage Ford Parts last year.

5. One left over from Hershey a couple of years ago (the other went on the socal roadster)

So, that makes seven of the supposedly 9 that are out in the wild.

26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

The gentleman live very close… if you ever come up.I will get us a trip over….I know you love this water heater shit. hahahah

27. Hopefully there will be video of it running for those of
    us that can't make it to the RoundUp this year.
    Pretty Please

28. Marcy

Marcy

Here's the Frenzels of Hershey from last year.
    Guessing the Frenzel air cleaner is not original but it's a nice touch.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marcy

mgtstumpy likes this.
  29. banjorear

banjorear

Wait, what is the difference in the intake v. a stock one? Is the intake that mounts the 2X2's on the back what you are talking about or is that cast as part of the blower case?

I thought this thing just sits on top of a "stock" intake.

30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I have no idea..I am not a flathead guy.I do find them interesting
    Ryan. check your email