Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Frank Kurtis-Kurtis Kraft picture thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by guffey, Sep 24, 2012.

1. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

It's kind of a shame that he gets very little credit for being one of the first builders of "custom" cars, I guess his later accomplishmwnts overshadowed these car's impact. Plus very little ink was available so long ago.

2. Kurtis Kraft never built any TQ's. Only half midgets, and very few of those.

This gentleman is the late Johnny Moorhouse. One of the best in the 40's and 50's, and a super nice guy. He was very proud of his restored V8-60 Kurtis.

[​IMG]

3. guffey

guffey

Kurtis Kraft go kart from about 1960. It is as found just recently. It features torsion bar suspension and friction shocks ,front and rear. It has twin engine mounts and disc brake.

guffeystuff 023 (2).jpg

guffeystuff 019 (2).jpg

4. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick

Yes you did... :)

[​IMG]

She came home a broken girl but will be back stronger than ever next year. :D

Two other Kurtis cars are stablemates of the Tommy Lee Speedster...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/txtFKFUUfuA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

and the ex-Mickey Thompson 500SX...

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  5. Special Ed

Special Ed

Frank posed with his Kurtis Sport.

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  6. jmh

jmh

Great pics!! John

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Kansas City history.

Attached Files:

8. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Love there cars and your muntz is a sweet custom also!

9. racer5c

racer5c

you have all the cool stuff

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

UUHHHHGGG! Right click, save. Right click, save. I haven't used those muscles in a bit until this thread!

11. OITSOG

OITSOG

I have many pictures of Atlas Chrome Specials and some Kurtis working on cars or in cars with engines only in the frame etc. Will try to get them up soon as I am new to the site. You can email me with questions or thoughts. Love the keeping the history alive site.

12. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Here is a copy of a photo I took at a mid 1960's Winternationals. It was signed by his son some 30 years later at a California Hot Rod Reunion.

Attached Files:

13. We would appreciate anything you have. The early stuff is very interesting...

14. FASI

FASI

Curious in that Bruce Meyers bought the No. 98 car. Is this the same car and maybe on loan to the Lemay Museum?

15. Great shot of Sam Parriott in his second Kurtis sports car. This one ran a blown 427 Ford.

[​IMG]

16. The lobby of the Justice Brother's Museum. Dad's '47 Kurtis V8 60, #93, second generation Kurtis midget #1 that dad built in 1992 when Arlen tooled up his continuation series of 10 cars, and the prototype Kurtis Kraft 1/4 midget I drove to the national championship in '57. 50+ years of our family history on display.

[​IMG]

rod1, jnaki, Gram Spina and 2 others like this.
  17. tomcurnow

tomcurnow
    from Los Angles

I lived at 352 West Wilson, just two blocks from KK, I was fortunate in that I Franks daugher Leona, was in my 5th grade class, so I had a "back stage" pass and could go over there after school and see what was going on, the biggest names of the time walked in and out of that little shop ( the original building is still there, or it was a couple of months ago. My first "job" was washing display cases for Ernie's Camera on Wilson near Brand. Ernie was running KK sprint at the time and was part owner of one of the current Indy cars, this really put me on main street, by 6th grade I was going to the local sprint car races with them, ironically , those events moulded my life, as I eventually went to work for Mickey Thompson doing his PR chores , which was pretty ez as all the mags wanted access to the projects, that position put me right into the early speed equipment industy, which I am still enjoying, my company slogan "when does work start or the fun stops, never , both the same" pretty lucky guy

rod1 and Gabe Fernando like this.
  18. craigibc

craigibc

Here's some of the Bill Hughes (I believe) roadster:

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  19. craigibc

craigibc

My obsession: The Tommy Lee roadster

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    Stogy likes this.
  20. Rikster

Rikster

Correct, and most of those photos come from the Geoff Hacker Collection. (its always a good idea to give credit!!!) Some of the photos show the car sitting in front of the Jimmy Summers shop.

21. craigibc

craigibc

These are photos I have saved over the years. Just wanting to share with the community.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    T-roaster and Stogy like this.
  22. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Dean,
    Did he really only build 10 Chassis in 1992?

I have a frame that was from Arlen Kurtis... still has all the tags on it from shipping from "The Frank Kurtis Company"...
    I wonder if this is one of the 10?

A friend of mine, Joe Devine bought it to use to build bodies on for other cars... never was built into a complete car...
    Joe told me he specifically ordered it without a few pieces welded on... I know at least the torsion bar brackets are just wired onto a hole in the frame....

thanks
    Zach

23. Yes, Arlen built 10 frames in '92. He came to our shop a few times to measure and photograph Dad's midget, so dad got frame #1. It was the most complete original KK midget he could find. Arlen built the frames, axles, etc, and it was up to the buyer to finish the car. Arlen reccomended Jim Allen for building the bodies.

24. Another shot of the Atlas Plating shop truck. It's actually a '29 with '34 fenders and grille...

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  25. One of the first grilles Frank built...

[​IMG]

hfh and Stogy like this.
  26. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Thanks for this wonderful thread and all the great photos!! A good friend has a 1954 Kurtis 500M real neat Olds powered !! I try to post some photos.

Stogy likes this.
  27. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Here's my friend Ben Warren's Kurtis..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  28. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Great! Subscribed!

David