Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Frank Kurtis-Kurtis Kraft picture thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by guffey, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

That's not the same car rebuilt, those were two different cars, built for/by two different owners, only the sponsor was the same. The first one was built in 1933 for Al Behovalek (spelling?), the second in 1935 for Henry Puckett. That's Ted Horn sitting in the Puckett car.

Stogy likes this.
  2. kenterle

kenterle

Just saw the "Tommy Lee" special run at the Colorado Grand 1000 a week ago. What a beaut! Two other Kurtis', including mine, were also there...

3. Absolutely love this thread. Lots of history here and Frank Kurtis was the epitome of a builder in the sweet spot of history. Dean, your connections are priceless and what memories you must have.

Stogy likes this.
  4. kenterle

kenterle

Another post on Frank Kurtis: In the mid 60s, my father and I built a 18' Stevens Flat Bottom Drag Boat that we ran at Hansen Dam in Pacomia, CA. My father convinced Buick to give him one of the two all aluminum factory experimental 425" pin head Buick engines. Frank did the installation for us (installed V-Drive, Rudder, Engine, Seat, etc). For an engine builder, Frank referred us to Max Balchowsky (Ol' Yeller). We ended up with a 482" Hilborn injected (12" stacks), what we thought was, fire breathing monster. The best run I made in it was just a little over 100mph making me one of the first youngest (17yrs old) racers to cross the 100mph mark. As most of you may know, Arlen, his son (who looks just like Frank), went on to build the world's fastest Blown Fuel Hydro Drag Boats, with drivers like Eddie Hill. In those days, Eddie used to come to the Drag Boat courses with his Dragster AND Drag Boat in tow and pull the engine out of the Dragster and put it in his stark white Kurtis Kraft 500 Drag Boat. Great times! and the beat goes on...

bchctybob and Stogy like this.
  5. I'm just going by what was written in the Kurtis Kraft book....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gabe Fernando and Stogy like this.
  6. galway51

galway51

[​IMG]
    Check out the 1957 Bardahl Special KK500G-2

7. galway51

galway51

A 24x36 giclee print.

Attached Files:

8. I took a buncha photos of the curtis sports car [1948 I think] at Pebble Beach this summer...was bright red with a white cloth top, flathead and 35 ford wires. I'll try to find 'em later tonight.

9. Ramblur

Ramblur

Well,the story is my uncle bought a basket-case Indy roadster and built a
    dirt car with it. Found these pics in the pre-69 sprint car thread IDing it as his,but I'm guessing this would be after he sold it. Either way,obviously it
    didn't end well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. davo461

davo461

I still get a 'damp patch' when I see any pictures of Kurtis' cars, especially the road models.
    Thank you all for the pics; does my heart good !
    Davo.

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

This is the Dave Humpe kurtis roadster, owned by Wilbur Hawthorne previous to him. Humpe reportedly committed suicide, and the car was cut up and scrapped. Is it the same car from pg 2, post #39? Pic from Jimmies Old Time Racing website. This is not Humpe in the car, and it was driven by Bobby Adamson during Hawthorne's ownership.

Attached Files:

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

An earlier shot of the Humpe roadster, still painted as raced by Wilbur Hawthorne, and driven by Bobby Adamson. From Jimmies Old Time Racing.

Attached Files:

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

One more example of a recycled Kurtis from the Ohio Valley. Chassis 340-51, reborn as the Dils' Ford #2, with a bolt on cage and 427 FoRD power. Hope I'm not straying too far from the original intent of this thread, but I've always been interested in the later use of these beautiful cars. Pics are again from Jimmies Old Time Racing Photos.

Attached Files:

14. Ramblur

Ramblur

^^^ Thanks for that s55mercury66,First time I've seen that car in one
    piece. Wilbur was my moms brother.

15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Can you share some of the history with us? I know some folks think it was almost sacreligous to turn a roadster into a supermodified, but I think recycled Indy stuff made the best looking of them all.

16. Ramblur

Ramblur

I was born in 1960,so you probably know more than I do. Most of what I remember was his Trevis car. The stories I've heard are just that he bought
    a wrecked Indy roadster,no idea which one. I'm sure he wouldn't have had any problem cutting something up to suit him.:D He passed a couple years ago but not before getting 'nicked' at some vintage tractor pulls for "illegal
    tire modifications"...:):):)

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I remember reading of his passing, and that he was known for his "competitiveness" :D I was born in 1961, so I don't have any real first hand knowledge either. Always had a soft spot for ex-Indy roadsters with a V-8 shoehorned in. Stretched midgets also. Yes, I am an Appalachian! :D

18. afaulk

afaulk

These are the cars I dreamed of racing as a boy. Wonder why I really don't care about modern race cars? They had so much more style and personality back in the day.

19. gyronaut

gyronaut

Here's a pair of KK's. Does anyone have any clue as to who this could be, or where, or when...

My Aunt is congratulating the victor, I assume, who must be "Bobby". The name on the other car appears to be "Do..." The year seems to be 1960 +/- 2 years. I'm assuming it was part of a larger race?

If the youngster(s) were from a racing family, it would make sense, since by the late 1950's, they were friends with a whole host of Indy car builders and drivers.

Funny, the Ventura Ambulance Service is the exact address for Jalopy Joe's (Joe Moody) place on Main in Ventura, Ca. It's a small world!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T-roaster likes this.
  20. There was a popular 1/4 midget track in Port Hueneme, Ca during that time period. Both cars have sponsors from that area, I would guess it's the Port Hueneme track. We never ran there, but occasionally cars from there would venture down to our So Cal tracks. They did OK in the A and B classes, but didn't fare too well in the AA class where methanol was legal. With hot rodders like Earl Evans, Kenny Harmon, Kong Jackson, and Charles "Scotty" Scott involved in the LA area associations, there was no way we wern't going to run alky!

21. superleggera

superleggera

I had the opportunity to build most of the new bodywork on this when it was restored about 20 years ago. Great car that was vintage raced after that for many years. Currently residing on display at the LeMay Museum in Tacoma, WA.

1948 Kurtis Agajanian #98 -- Grand Piston Ring Special (w/driver Walt Faulkner)

This Kurtis achieved Pole Position at the 1950 Indianapolis 500 -- 134.343mph which was a new record in 1950. Engine is a 270 cu in Offenhauser with Riley carbs. Gearbox is the normal 2-speed with quick change diffential. Over the years it made 4 Indy finishes, 6 pole positions and 5 national championship wins. The car was owned by A.C. Agajanian.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. roadwarrior32

roadwarrior32

Frank Kurtis was a really fine guy. I met him late in his life, and he still was a true car enthusiast. I was most interested in what he did before his race car building days. He was one of the first to customize cars and build custom bodies on passenger cars. The period of mid to late '20's to pre-WW2 were when some of the outstanding customs that came from his shop.He was nice enough to send me some pictures of his work. Here are a few.

Attached Files:

T-roaster and Stogy like this.
  23. This car [or one identical to it in bright red] was displayed at Pebble Beach this year..got a buncha photos of it.

Attached Files:

bchctybob and Stogy like this.
  24. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

Absolute PERFECTION!!!!

Stogy likes this.
  25. roadwarrior32

roadwarrior32

Here is a very poor quality picture of one of Kurtis' more exotic customs. This is the only picture of this one I have seen. Too bad, as I would like to see the details of it. Car is a 30/31 Ford that had the frame rails extended about nine inches and getting that long nose that was popular then. The front fenders were '33 Hudson and it has what looks to be a '34 Auburn hood. Woodlites and duel horns and the heart-shaped grill all make this one stand out. Check the fender skirts. A pretty cool ride!

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  26. 2002p51

2002p51

Here's a Kurtis V8-60 midget I photographed several years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

V8-m, T-roaster and Stogy like this.
  27. h gasser

h gasser

28. h gasser

h gasser

29. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

[​IMG]

Just reading this post and saw this 3/4 midget that I saw 2 weeks ago at the Ventura Raceway in Southern California. What a coincidence.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe Kurtis ever built any 3/4 midgets.

Can someone confirm that?

30. 1953 Kurtis 500S:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    Carbon maker and Stogy like this.