Register now to get rid of these ads!

frame swap for a 55-59 chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 93chevy55, Apr 30, 2009.

1. 93chevy55

93chevy55

hey guys, i got a 55 chevy truck 2nd series and i want to put a later modle frame on it. i know a s10 frame can fit on AD trucks but im looking for a frame for the 55-59. some told me a 60s to 85 chevy truck frames will work but i dont know has anyone done a swap on theirs please let me know. thanks
    kujo

2. RichG

RichG

Why a full frame swap? Just curious...:)

3. zman

zman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Garner, NC

Caprice rear, camaro front clip and call it a day.

4. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

shoot Ed Lipinski an email at www.e zchassisswaps.com I know he has been developing a chassis swap using a newer Chevy Caprice frame for the 55-59 Chevy/GMC pickups, he's a super guy to deal with too. I helped a guy do a 50 chevy on a s-10 frame using one of his kits and it went together real slick. Scott

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

i have a 65' swb frame under my 55'.fits like a glove and have power brakes,steering ect

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These trucks probably take better to a subframe job than any other. There is a really good thread on here somewhere that has become somewhat the bible of 55/59 subframe swaps that shows how to do it right.

Squigmachine do you have photos of the swap to share?

7. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Yup, My 52 f-1 was done in one weekend with 73nova clip and 10 inch C notch just had to do the steering and brake lines. used the pedals out of the nova... clips on craigslist are like 300 bucks

8. RichG

RichG

9. 93chevy55

93chevy55

i wanted to do a full frame swap because i didnt want to cut up the orig. frame. thanks guys

10. el conejo 1964

el conejo 1964

why not? if youre worried about strength, dont. as long as you gusset the frame well where you meet up the camaro clip, you wont have problems. I clipped a 56 and the guy ran it head-on into another pick up about a month later. the only thing that wasnt bent was the front clip and the front half of the frame.

11. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Close...

it's: http://www.e-zchassisswaps.com/index.htm

12. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

the only way to fly!you will be on the road alot faster for sure!

13. crash 51

crash 51
    from FTW,TEXAS

70-76??? any full size Monte Carlo. I've seen it done. Truck sat/drove really nce.

14. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

i put mine on a 4x4 s-10 chassis, but removed the 4x diff and such

Attached Files:

15. RichG

RichG

In the long run you'll be better off, and it'll be far cheaper and easier to do the clip thing. The special tools required: two pieces of angle iron and some allthread...it's almost a no brainer. As far as the rear end goes, find an axle with a similar width, slap it in, done. You won't have to engineer new cab mounts or align the entire body. Just my humble and worthless opinion.:D

16. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

My grandpa did this. He has 55 chevy truck we put it on a 64 chevy truck frame.

17. Hi!!! My name is martin, i'm from argentina, i have a 59 chevy and I want to change the chassis because the power brakes, springs, and power steering, I guess the 65 chevy frame is avery good option, but I don't know if it fits, checking here I find you're post that says you did it, I was wondering if you can give me more information about you're experience. I did this question in this page and a lot of people tell me that is better keep the original. Thanks for answer!!!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396236672.603791.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396236689.747656.jpg I add some pictures of my truck

Always chevy!

18. 93chevy55

93chevy55

The pre 73 Chevy frames are very different 73 to 87 fit pretty good I used a 84 and moved axle up 3in

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. smooth50

smooth50
    from MASS

I am building a 55 on a 91 caprice wagon frame. Frame came with 350/700R4. Add drop spindles and drop rear coils and this thing sits nice and low. Track width and wheelbase are almost perfect. I just needed to modify the step up as the frame is wider. Add some box tube to frame and use the stock cab body mounts. This overall is not an easy job. I have yet to modify bed. I went this road as I started with just a Big window cab and didnt have a frame, etc. If I did then a camaro clip would be the best bet.

20. JDUBBYA has a Camaro clip under his. Rides and handles great.

Attached Files:

21. smooth50

smooth50
    from MASS

One of the few times I post some info that may be of value relative to the initial inquiry of this post, I manage to get someone that comments in a way that adds no value at all. At least it bumps the thread back up to the top. I'm sorry but that kind of shit pisses me off. Watch, the next comment will be about grammer or run on sentences.

Should I have said that the wheel base is within an inch or so? Not to mention it allowed me to actually get the wheel centered in the front wheel well?

22. 93chevy55

93chevy55

With the pick up frame it was an easier job with the kit I got I've heard they were trying to make a kit for the caprice and it would of been to much modification for my likening but send some pics of yours

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!