Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest FOUND Model A roadster Drag roadster/land speed car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete, Dec 17, 2015.

1. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Awesome hotrod and great story !

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  2. I tuned an altered for a while once that had 3 front axle settings, nose up neutral and nose down. We never seemed to run it nose up and one time the guy that owned it walked out to the staging lanes jumped up and down, ran back and forth shuffled his feet and came back to the pit and said, " Set her nose up." I asked why and he said, "We have zero chance of hooking up on this track so our only other option is to freak out the competition." I asked why he was jumping up and down and running back and forth and he just laughed and said, "Well kid that's so they'll think I'm crazy."

His first pass he carried the wheels to about the 60' mark nailed second and jumped it then it settled down and ran. The competition missed a shift. :D He did crazy shit like that all day then on Sunday for the money run we set it nose down and made a good clean pass.

Life is good isn't it. ;)

3. Awesome thread, dig the history of this car.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. HiHelix

HiHelix

Very kewl indeed!

5. caddywhacked

caddywhacked

Hi... The original owner told me to measure the width of the frame... I would see that it is about 4" wider than stock... That is so that you can sit further down inside the frame.. The floor is shaped like a Barrel so that you cannot see that it hangs way below the frame.... When I sit in it... I look through the steering wheel and the top of the rear 1/4 panels are just above my shoulder... It is very much like sitting in a Corvette!

brEad, AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  6. ken bogren

ken bogren

This thread is a great example of what the H.A.M.B. can do. I love threads like this!

7. caddywhacked

caddywhacked

Thank you for posting... It is so cool to see how nothing had changed! All this adds to the history that I am trying to collect on the car. It is not very often that a survivor comes along... That can be traced all the way back to the beginning!

8. caddywhacked

caddywhacked

9. It is definitely an interesting car, I will love watching it come together.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. caddywhacked

caddywhacked

Here it is with the chopped '32 grille shell and windshield that came with it and a pair of '31 hood tops that I had on hand!

AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  11. caddywhacked

caddywhacked

You are not correct sir!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  12. caddywhacked

caddywhacked

And you would be incorrect as well....

13. caddywhacked

caddywhacked

Thank you for digging up the info! I talked with Buddy Hinman, the cars builder.... He built the original version of this car when he was just 13 years old!

14. you are going to restore this thing correct?

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. pitman

pitman

Eli, I meant to suggest the car was driven. The repaired axle photo holds a tale too.

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Yeah, I'd "restore" it so it looks like this car from the Race of Gentlemen ( and women) 2015.
    I think some guy in NH built this one too (Ha-Ha)
    Period perfect, and went like the Devil!

Attached Files:

Stogy and Donald A. Smith like this.
  17. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Glad to help out, hope you had a good chat with Buddy.

Stogy likes this.
  18. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Buddy was just 13 years old when he built the original version man he has a lot of tallent this car is great. :)

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  19. caddywhacked

caddywhacked

Sorry man! I mis-understood your post! I was being very defensive after the negative posts! I am very excited to own this car!

AHotRod and pitman like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

The thing that is really amazing, the car sat around all these years and finally found the caretaker that will take it to back to as built condition. Bob

Stogy likes this.
  21. caddywhacked

caddywhacked

From all the history that I now have... It seems the car went through 2 versions... I am awaiting a copy of a pic of it from 1947, to see what it looked like then, and compare it to now... And then restore it... Paying homage to both versions... I intend to repair call the rust , but not disturb any of the old fabrication... I feel that most of the survivor cars are over restored... And loose their home built "goodness" this will be a nice car..... But not overdone.... And yes! I will be putting leopard skin seats back in it! The original builder says that is what it had!

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

When I did my Lyndwood rail I kept all the stick weld spatters that were stuck to the tubes. It raced with them even held a National Record, those little features are part of a cars history and need to be saved. Tough call sometimes if there is rust damage over the years, and not everyone "gets it". Glad that car has a good home. Bob

AHotRod likes this.
  23. caddywhacked

caddywhacked

Yes! And he still races sprint cars today!

Stogy and AHotRod like this.
  24. caddywhacked

caddywhacked

Wow! That is a cool roadster! That chick drives it hard too! I heard that she broke the transmission in half! Lol!

25. 51box

51box
    from MA

I had the opportunity to check this car out yesterday while picking up my buddies roadster. It's unbelievable that this kid in the 40's was able to do what he did with no real tools or experience. Eli has some serious talent and will do this car justice, it has a bright future ahead after its nearly 60+ year slumber.

Stogy, spurgeonforge, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Please take a shit load of picture!
    Please share them!

That is one unique car that eswrves to be bought back to life!

Stogy, AHotRod, timwhit and 1 other person like this.
  27. Ditto^^^ we're in love!

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  28. B A N A N A anas! I love it!

Stogy likes this.
  29. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

May have some history, but dang... looks like an early rat rod to me. I dont think I'd want to preserve much of its cobbled history, rather have something safe.

30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

No offence intended:

How did you come to the conclusion it's unsafe? Since it is in mock up, after being in moth balls for longer then I have lived?

There are nothing painfully wrong, just unfinished.
    And with the engineering going into the racing style adjustable front spring perch, the wide frame and lowered floor pans with seat pans so low you can sit in it, without going "on top" like some old cars get, when you install a modern size human in it.
    I would love to se this one getting finished as intended

If this came driving in to a shop I would claim it was unsafe, but for a mocked up race car, soon to be blown apart for fixing, I would say: Get to it, lad. TROG/colorado hot rod hill climb awaits you!
    You even got room for at potvin style blower set up and a QC

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Stogy, 54fierro, AHotRod and 4 others like this.