Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Found Footage... The Corvette at Le Mans!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 21, 2011.

1. flamingokid

flamingokid

Duntov looked younger and hipper than I imagined him.Great video.

2. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

That was F***ing Awsome, thanks Ryan and whoever sent that to you.

B:eek:B

3. Juggalo56

Juggalo56

wow. how cool is that. i have to send this out to my grandfather. my Grandfather Tony Settember drove the #1 corvette in the 1962 lemans. was big in racing vettes, cobras, mercedes. among other care including F1. ill try and find the pics of his 62 Vette. Someone found it back in the 80s or 90s and researched it. then fully restored it back to its 1962 lemans racing setup

4. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Was that the number 4 Gulf car?

B:confused:B

5. noboD

noboD

I'm thinking all three cars have been shown at Corvettes at Carlisle. Chip Miller owned one, the 3 car I think, and his son took it to LeMans for the 50th anniversary with John Fitch. There's a movie being made about it to be shown at this year's Corvette show.

6. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Just that short clip of Zora gives you a feel of what kinda guy he was. Proud as hell to engineer a car that was able to race at LeMans along side the best Europe had to offer. Corvettes are truly a symbol of how great this country was and still is.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Mike

7. swimeasy

swimeasy

Very cool, Thanks, Ryan and ''Somebody"!

8. daddio211

daddio211

I know you do, but make sure you take it as a compliment! To be entrusted with such IMPORTANT irreplaceable items is a real testament to your character, your abilities, and your respect for our history. Thanks for sharing with us!

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

I liked that so much,I just watched the Steve McQueen classic,"LeMans".Not much dialogue,but a whole lot of racing!

10. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. narlee

narlee

Thanks Ryan, the old Corvette stuff is so cool.

12. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

Really cool stuff.We were involved in SCCA racing with a Corvette in the early 60s.Those were the most fun cars I ever drove.Thanks Ryan and the mystery man.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

14. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

Awesome footage and it got me to go back and watch the full half hour LeMans documentary Ryan posted about a while back. Nothing like watching old car moves til 1 AM when I gotta work the next day - but well worth it!

Is there a good biography on Duntov that anyone can recommend? I read a great account of the Corvette racing era but I'd love to get a full book on Duntov if it's good.

15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

16. Juggalo56

Juggalo56

here are some photos of my Grandfathers 62 Le Mans Corvette. his number was #1 because back then your number was placed by largest displacement engine to smallest.
    this car was a sold after it raced and was a daily driver painted red for many years. A Corvette Enthusiest found it and did a vin search revealing to to be the 62 Le mans Corvette. He then began the long restoration back to what it is today. I was fortunate enough to meet the owner when he interviewed my Grandpa, Tony Settember, about the car. was amazed at how much my grandpa still remembered about the car such as drilled holes in the hood, type of gauges, and a bunch of racing stories.

Dave

Attached Files:

17. daddio211

daddio211

So Juggalo, what was the displacement of that fuelie?

18. Wow - Car looks great. How cool is that, the guy figured out what he had and got back with your Grandpa.

A quick googls search - wa la

"The 327 Corvette was the only car in the "+5000 cc Grand Touring" class. It finished 29th overall out of 55 starters."

http://palmeter.com/62LM01.htm

Wonder why he used white for the wheels? I like them white, just seems all the photos showed they were black.

19. Very cool!! I just love old footage like that. ;)

20. BigBlockBuck

BigBlockBuck

"Zora Arkus-Duntov: The Legend Behind Corvette" By Jerry Burton, is a very good Biography of Duntov. Most vette restoration companies sold it in a two pack with another book about Dave McLellen, the father of the LT-1 C4 vette of the 90's. Both are still available as far as I know. But Zora was the man, hell ford guys even love him, there wouldn't be no Ardun heads without him. I love these Lemans vettes, but Duntov's SS vette was the most awesome vette of all in my mind, in it's orginal body work. I love the SR-2 and I love the grand sports, but the blue SS was just too bad ass.

21. Cool video Ryan & I like the music by Mark Schottinger....Thanks.

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Cool, and nothing like driving to the racetrack.

23. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

sounds perfect- looks like it's easy to get for about $25.. I'll check it out- thanks!