Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Found a 1939 ford coupe hot rod survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Eightydeuce, May 5, 2010.

1. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

I have been wanting and searching for a 1939 deluxe or preferably a 40 ford deluxe coupe off and on for a couple years now. So the other day I happened to take a back road less than 4 1/2 miles from were I'm living now and look what I found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I talked to the neighbor and he told me this belonged to the owners father who has since passed away. As you can see in the pics it has an SBC (probably a 283) which looks totally stock connected to a muncie 4 speed and an oldsmobile rear.

It also has a very crude looking dropped front axle. The dash has been completely redone and smoothed out then covered with sometype of upholstery. It has a speedometer and 2 other gauges and some toggle switches installed.

The interior looks pretty good but it looks like green moss is starting to form on the seat, and the head liner is falling down. Looks like it could be cleaned up though.

Not sure were the fenders and hood are. I have stopped by this guys house multiple times in the past couple days and he has not been around.

Neighbor guy told me this has been setting out for at least 4 or more years now.

2. WELL!!!! Are you getting it? Did you get it? What?????

3. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Wow looks like fun! Hopefully you can nail it!

4. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Good luck on getting it. Looks like a pretty neat old hot rod.

I had been searching for something for over 5 years and this was my luck year. :)

5. 61falcon

61falcon

leave a note with your number.

6. cheveey57

cheveey57

No, No, leave a note & MY number................:)

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool. be sure to update when you have an update.

8. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I love 39's. Good luck !

9. rat seeker

rat seeker

i love it, keep us posted

10. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

82d Airplane gang? What a find, hope you score that badboy!

11. Donnda

Donnda

Thats not a "Want" thats a "Need" leave a note with your number. Look the address up on the net and you will get a phone number and name. Its like a reverse look up. Go get it Boy.

Donn

12. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

looks like the one Bob K was looking for. Never mind......his had a flattie and gauges on the firewall.

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Staying tuned for the next update!

14. Jake H.

Jake H.

Hope you get it!

I searched and found my '39 like it was meant to be.

They're out there, and sometimes the planets all align just right for the seekers.

15. lowelife

lowelife

Good luck on scoring that one.

16. That looks A LOT like my 39 standard. It too had a 283, tuck and roll and old red paint. Mine was also sitting in a driveway under a tarp for longer then I have been alive!
    Hope you get it!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

I thought I saw your arrow star in the back groung hauling cattle the other day?

18. bryan6902

bryan6902

Be persistent, if the neighbor said that it's been sitting there for 4 years its obvious the guy doesn't have any plans to fix it up. Good luck, hopefully you can catch the guy at home some day, nice you can lurk around his neighborhood since it's only 4 1/2 miles from your place!

19. Wow, good luck!

I am sure it's a 350 or Corvette 327 as that is what all small blocks are:p

20. studematt

studematt

He will probably say (you know what that thing is worth or I'm going to fix it one day). Good luck though.

21. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

My exact thoughts.

I'm not to confident that I will end up with this even though it has been setting for awhile now.

Since it belonged to his old man he will probably want to hold on to it for sentimental reasons, which means it will continue to rust into the ground. The guy has no where to work on it since the garage he has is packed full.

I'm going to drive by his place a bunch of times in the next few days so hopefully I will see him. I did leave a note on his door with my number.

22. putz

putz
    from wisc.

a few weeks ago , i picked up a 39 ford pick up , built about 20 years ago , it was parked about 100 yards off the road , all i could see was the the top of red cab , reason for seeing just the top was that the box had bags of soda cans higher than cab , i stopped and ; ol story ; no one home , my wife said to leave a note on cab .
    about two weeks later i receive a call from the guy asking if i wanted to buy the soda cans or pickup , i laughed and played along with the guy thinking it was one of my buddies screwing with me !!!!!! when i finally realized it was for real i explained to guy
    i had few buddies that love to screw with each other , he said that he had same ! long story short , bought 9 years ago , drove for 4 years , loss interest , it has sbc , auto , power steering , brakes , cruise , power windows , interior done , mags , one flat tire , i asked the guy if he had a spare ,his reply was that he had 4 old steel wheels that came with the truck in the shed i could have , pulled out 4 smoothies with trim rings and caps , i couldn,t beleive this was happening to me ,truck came out of west v. , bought for $ 6200.oo , and to think my wive said to leave a note!
    sure love that woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's awesome you have to get it!!! I love the hurst setup with the home made spacer. Way cool.

24. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

In case anyone was wondering I finally got in touch with the owner and he does not want to sell. He says he plans to quote "make a street rod out of it when I retire next year":rolleyes: What a shame.

25. The Hitch Hiker

The Hitch Hiker

Finds like this are exactly why I always look in peoples yards when driving by. Thats how I found my van. Hopefully you can get the owner to sell it to you!

26. Go figure ! keep intouch, you never know. he may come off it. That happened to buddy of mine with 59 Cad, 2dr hardtop. ( long time ago story) was told not for sale sat along the house. then one day the wife says $500 take it away. Well he waits till the next day to get it ( husband was away) . Comes back to get , not for sale he tells him. A week later they sold it .

27. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a 40 ford coupe a few years ago that I had first seen over 35 years ago. It dissappeared and moved about 2 blocks away.When I found it again I made an offer, the owner said he think about it. My son called me one day at work a couple of months later and told me some guy wanted me to call him. I called and the rest was history. There was a six inch tree growing thru the front axle that we had to cut down though. Sometimes it works out. Maybe when he retires he will want to go on a cruise! and sell it to ya.

28. Looks like its been rode hard and put up wet. I like it. A rod that aint been rode aint a rod.

Use white vinegar and water to kill the mold on the seats.

If it follows you home it will no doubt make you dirty. Then it will be yours.

29. jmh

jmh

Cool!! Hope you get it!! Good luck..:p. John