Register now to get rid of these ads!

Former/Current Car/Industrial Designers Out There?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carnutofthedecade, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Although I am no longer designing professionally, I am still old school; AD markers, Prisma Colors colored pencils, Nupastel colored pastels on Clearprint vellum. Now if I only had some Flo-Master cleanser for my pastel/Flo-Master backgrounds, I'd be really happy!

2. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I am a wannabe industrial designer. Meaning I am currently at university eventually planning on transferring to one that has an industrial design program/degree most likely BYU.

3. Janne

Janne

I just got my industrial design BA Degree few days ago. School is Lahti polytechics Institute of Design (Finland). I'm leaning towards trasportation design.

Here are couple pics of my Degree work and small intro:
    Lincoln Concept Car
    The goal was to capture the feeling of early custom cars and to transfer that to the modern vehicle design without doing retro styled car. Styling study is based on ´40's custom car design. Segment is personal luxury car and size is 2+2 Coupe (4,7m long). The concept is branded for Lincoln. I used this large enough segment because I wanted to use beautiful curves and surfaces that are typical to early custom cars. The concept combines classic and modern elements. Keywords are elegance, simplicity and flow.

I did 1/4 scale model also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  4. Janne

Janne

5. mikes51

mikes51

Janne,
    Congradulations on completing your degree.

The Lincoln concepts are excellent. Are the last renderings done in 3d or 2d?

6. Janne

Janne

Thanks. It's all photoshop, photos of the claymodel as underlay. Original ones are quite large, about 7000 pixels wide to make enough big prints of the car.

7. Wow !! After reading about all the formal education that some of you had I'm going to show y'all a whole 'nuther direction. I took an architectural drafting class in high school in 1959 and decided I liked doing that. My drawings from that class opened a door for me to get on as a beginner draftsman at a local large crane manufacturer. I was there from '60 - '70 doing fabrication drawings and, for a couple of years, I crossed over to the other side of the street and got into steel and sheet metal layout and fab. Learned enough welding to get me by too.

In '71 I realized that I had a marketable skill so I became a "job shopper" and free-lanced my abilities to the highest bidder. This gave me opportunities to learn many different disciplines ranging from mechanical and structural design to design of automated material handling systems for the auto industry to various foundry items to rubber extruding and many other things. All the time I was traveling and taking these different jobs I was designing and building race cars. I still find it amazing how my work and my hobby complimented each other. I stayed self-employed 'til I retired in 2001. Now, just to keep somewhat busy, I drive a semi hauling mail for the U.S.P.S. Guess what....I like driving the big truck better. :)

You could say I learned my craft on the street corner....kinda like sex. :D

8. Janne

Janne

Anyone else?

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Janne,

I'm lovin' your Lincoln concept car!!!!

That would look great on a Bentley or Aston Martin chassis. I'm doubtful that Ford Motor Company/Lincoln will ever build another personal lux coupe
    vehicle in two door.
    I'm seein' your coupe in "Midnight Blue Pearl" with a "Bisket" leather interior.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

As many of you know, Sergio Pininfarina was a major force in international auto design. He passed today in Milan. RIP, Gary

11. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Yep..
    <table class="contentpaneopen"><tbody><tr><td class="contentheading" width="100%">In Memoriam: Sergio Pininfarina

</td><td class="buttonheading" align="right" width="100%"> [​IMG]</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="contentpaneopen"><tbody><tr><td class="createdate" valign="top"> Tuesday, 03 July 2012 11:28</td></tr><tr><td valign="top"> [​IMG]Sergio Pininfarina, an auto design genius who helped create the 1984 Ferrari Testarossa, the 2002 Ferrari Enzo, the 2003 Maserati Quattroporte and the 1996 Peugeot 406 coupe, died on Tuesday.
    He was 85.
    Pininfarina led Pininfarina, the car design and manufacturing company his father, Gian Battista &#8220;Pinin&#8221; Farina, founded in 1930.
    Pininfarina was born in 1926 and joined the family company after earning a degree in mechanical engineering. He became Pininfarina&#8217;s CEO in 1966 after his father&#8217;s death.
    Under Pininfarina&#8217;s leadership, the design house that created cars for Alfa Romeo, Rolls-Royce, Cadillac and even Chevrolet, expanded and prospered.
    He led Pininfarina for 50 years &#8212; until he became honorary chairman in 2006
    </td></tr></tbody></table>