Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ford Town USA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. RichG

RichG

That is so cool! The sad thing is that if Ford tried that stunt today, people would get trampled to death (remember last Christmas's Wal Mart employee?).

3. I just wonder how many Engine Swaps took place in that WEEK ?? >>>>.

4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

It must be the carnie in me, but I love this !!!! Cool way to draw attention to yourself and your product.. Today's marketing gurus should take note. You can bet a lot of those folks ended up buying that new Ford they were driving on loan for a week. " Hurry, hurry, Step right up !"

5. Lee Iacocca was such a visionary. Cool story.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I can't see nobody getting into trouble unless there was something fishy going on with ford end of things. Shenanigans.

7. meteor

meteor

Great story. I can't imagine the logisitcs...

8. froghawk

froghawk

What's kinda weird is all the T-birds are 1960 models. Everything else is '61. Was Thunderbird production slow getting started in '61? Did they really have that many leftover white '60 'Birds?

Great story, though. Wish we lived there then. But we did have our own white Ford, a '58 Del Rio Ranch Wagon with "Interceptor Special" 352, Cruise-O-matic and red interior.

9. slim53

slim53

That's a good catch. Very weird.

Slim

10. Labold

Labold

I've seen that main overhead photo before and always wondered what the hell was going on with all the white Fords. I just figured it was ol' Henry's vision of heaven.
    Cool story. Doubt we'll see any promotions similar to that again.

11. Rod_n_Hudson

Rod_n_Hudson
    from Michigan

12. daddio211

daddio211

The stuff legends are made of...

And it's been nearly 50 years!

13. Sounds like something Iacocca would do. His autobiography is a great read if you get the chance..

14. Dog427435

Dog427435

Production on the new styled '61 T-Bird did not start until October 3rd - the earliest release date to the dealers was November 10th.

15. flathead fred

flathead fred

Wow, as a Ford nut that is kind of like heaven!

16. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

You would think there would have been all kinds of drag racing going on..
    Brand new free loaner car? I would have treated it worse then the rentals I've thrashed.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah... that's why I am pissed at the details... Or lack there of...

You mean to tell me they gave some 16 year old kid a new Ford just because he was a registered car owner? And if they did, I REFUSE to believe that he and his pals didn't have some fun.

Where are the good stories? Screw all of these soft PR/Marketing stories around the event.

18. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Ryan...So cool that you posted this. I live about 20 miles east of Flora, and even though I'm not a native I have met people that participated in this event. As a member of the Clay Co. Cruisers based in Flora, we at one time tossed around the idea of restoring one of the only known cars to still be in the area...We didn't get the job done at that time, but the club may still be working on it.
    As far as negative press, even around here there are no stories of people trashing or stealing cars, but ya gotta remember that those were different times. This was a big deal for a small community, and people were very proud that Flora was chosen. I guess they were on their best behavior.
    Every once in awhile a piece of memorabilia from the event will surface. I've seen fliers, key fobs, etc. at different times.

19. Hellfish

Hellfish

Imagine trying to find your white 61 Ford in a parking lot full of white 61 Fords!

20. drock6570

drock6570

Glenn,
    being that you are so close, I hereby put it to vote that you be the "official" digger of dirt and report back to us with SOMETHING more on this awesome event. All those in favor AYE

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

aye!

22. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

No problem. If you guys want more I'll see what I can dig up.

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Man..could you imagine the liablities of doing something like this today? even with the smallest of towns you know there would be one joker ready to sue for something..or wrecking the car..or...etc..

24. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Actually this was done again (late 80's) in a town in New York where everbody was given YUGOs:eek: to use for a year for "test marketing".

25. What do you do when the parking lot is full...of your own make and model and color to boot! Hell, I can't find my car now.

Good times....

26. Today someone would get their undies in a bunch cuz the cars are all white or some
    non PC reason.

27. DrewDay

DrewDay
    from Austin, Tx

I always wondered about that picture...

28. funnycar

funnycar

That's why I love (old) american cars!:)

29. YUP, actually happened. Unfortunatlly, the cars only lasted one week. Here was my car as I returned it, in a basket.-MIKE:eek::p

[​IMG]