Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford kickdown on a Edelbrock carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Oct 22, 2014.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I want to hook up the kickdown rod to the C-6 and I have a Edelbrock carb,is it possible or should I just get a Holley.

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Its possible, I have an Edlebrock with the kickdown connected to a C4.

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

A Carter AFB 9637 SA has Ford kickdown linkage it's internals interchange with an Edelbrock 1405,I have a 9637 base in my parts collection pm me if interested.

loudbang likes this.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a AFB on my custom 500 with a manual trans,I want to put the Holley back on it so it looks like I need to find a carb spacer with a pcv port soon and switch carbs if it has the hook up. The Edelbrock is way too big to put on a 302 so I just cant switch carbs.

6. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

What CFM is the Edlebrock?

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think its a 750

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

What is the number on the left side of the base of the AFB?

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

10. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Probably a tad to big for the 302.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a Holley tuned for the 302 but had to put the AFB on due to the front port for the pcv,I am using a 84 mustang dual snorkel air cleaner and then added the mustang aluminum valve covers which required moving the pcv from the rear of the motor on the pass side to the front on the drivers side and the long hose changed the tuning of the carb. I need a carb spacer with a pcv port so I can put the holley back on the 302,as for the EB on the 460 that needs a Ford kick down I am not sure what I will do. That carb got water in it when the motor was stored after coming out of the donor truck and can not get it to idle smooth again so it might get replaced with a new 650 Holley,the EB seems to be a little too wide and had to do some modifications to the throttle linkage so a holley might be the best way to go or see if Lokar has a cable system that might work with the EB.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have a Edelbrock on a '67 Ford 390 with C-6 and worked fine. since carb has seen better days replacing with a Holley.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think the water done some damage so if I have to replace then I will go with a Holley since I have plenty of jets to tune with and nothing for a EB,I had the Holley for the 302 on the 460 while I was working on the EB and it seemed like the linkage was easier to make work since it was a little narrower then a EB.

14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  15. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will get that part if I do not replace the carb,it had gotten some water in it and cleaning and going through it did not help.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The trip to one local junkyard did not turn up a 460 kick down rod but after I got home I did some research and might need two other parts to make it all work when I do come up with a kick down rod,along with the #1483 throttle lever adapter I am definately going to need the #1495 bracket that moves the throttle cable bracket over and up on the intake since I am having issues with that right now and possibly a #8011 linkage extension if the kick down rod wont reach. Those parts will be 53.87 and possibly plus shipping if I can not get them locally so I might just add some more and get a Holley where all I will need is just the kick down rod,I can go with a Lokar cable and I do have one on my 55 that has a C-4 but its ok and would rather have the rod. I know 53.87 is cheaper then a new carb but all those parts seem like a hassle when a Holley will bolt right up without those parts,I got all winter to come up with a solution and it does work just fine dropping into second when I need to pass but I do want to get it right eventually.

18. squirrel

squirrel

you know you really want to put a 4 speed and a clutch pedal in it....

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I do have a toploader 4 speed and a FE flywheel which I heard fits a 460 and all I would need is a 351-m/400 truck bellhousing,the truck was originally had a manual trans so the clutch pedal is still hanging and the linkage is in the shed. I just got that C-6 shifting good but a 4 speed would be much better.