Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford in a chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LANCE-SPEED, Jul 2, 2009.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's runnin White Walls? Cool!! (WWHP)
    Being a Ford guy I HATE seeing Chev motors in Fords, but then I think there is ONLY three motors ever built that have the class to be any good in another make.
    Flat Head Ford.
    Hemi.
    Nailhead.
    Everything else is best left to there home makes.
    I do know a guy running around in a 34 Chev coupe with a Y Block in it though! Its a show winning (Well, was a few years ago) car.
    I kinda like a car better if it has a motor of its own make, now having said that m building an A40 Austin with a 401 Nailhead and Ford 4 speed top loader.
    De Soto, I hear ya' man!

Doc.

2. Same reason vanilla ice cream is the most popular.Its common,and takes little thought or ingenuity to put a SBC in anything.One thing that a lot of people run into is the SBF is longer and has the front sump and that takes a little more work to use.Mostly though,I think its because its so easy to cop out and use a SBC.I have always put a Ford in a Ford and a Chevy in a Chevy.One is really no better than the other no matter what some prejudiced people say.

3. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

People have been hearing the same old crap about how good a sbc is for years and all the hot rod robots believe them. Look at the 80's 90's era. 5.0 cars ruled everywhere and make a great platform for hot rodding. Nothing more boring then a 350/350. Take a roller cam SBF dress it up 60's style and your good to go for a long time

4. It doesn't hurt when you can vouch for SBC's with 300K on them, never apart, or use a 350 to move a rollback truck with a car on it and another on a trailer behind it, too.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Improvement, hardly, the Flathead is heavier and makes the same power... :D

6. Hee hee:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

7. Better looking though! I think that guy was making a statement more than anything else.:eek:

8. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

im calling bullshit on the Cheaper and Easier to find pars for. A SBF is damn near as cheap and plentiful as the SBC. I think people are just afraid of the distributor in front. Im a GM guy, but a SBF is a ton easier to set the timing on in cramped quarters.

9. Drive Em

Drive Em

I know where there is an early 70's Chevy Vega with a Ford Flathead in it. I am ging to try and get some pictures. In the 70's, my dad had a Ford 289 in his '58 Chevy pickup, it now has a 348 Chevy in it.

10. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

amen! :)

11. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

That's like building all your 3 in 1 kits as "stock"

It would get boring after a while.

12. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

because ford sucks. in my opinion, every ford engine past the Y block looks ugly. they might sound great, but they look like shit.

13. teddyp

teddyp

ford did make motors after the y-block but who realy grives a shit:D

14. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Thats awsome i want to do a 65 chevy truck with a ford motor and no hood just to piss all the chevy people off...

15. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Right On

16. that would be a cool vett

17. i bet that was a bitchen vaga, to bad that they wasted a good motor on a pice of shit car:eek:

18. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

I am a "chevy guy" but not closed minded.Years ago i owned a 1963 chevy 1/2 ton step side pickup with a 429 ford in it.Bought it because i thought it was different and cool and it hauled ass.And currently i own a 1953 pontiac hearse/ambulance converted to a housecar powered buy a 289 ford small block that runs great and moves this behemoth down the road with ease.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  19. Then you must have never seen a 427 High-rise or "Cammer" up close. But then again, if you are driving a Chevy, how could you see one up close?!:D

20. Hard to see them in the rearview mirror, that's true.

21. Weasel

Weasel

Ah yes - a well thought out, profound and thoroughly mature pronouncement from an expert of great experience....:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. bshepherd

bshepherd
    from michigan

in the process of puttin a 390fe in our 40 pontiac. Brandon

23. Weasel

Weasel

Here's another butt ugly Ford engine for ol'skool29, the ultimate arbiter of good taste...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. madpole

madpole

i am never suprised to see a ford flathead in car built pre sbc or pre early hemi built car, because the flathead was the best of that era. if you wanted to build a hot rod out of a 29 chevy, dodge, or whatever the ford flathead is the natural choice because it was available, cheap, and there were more marketed performance parts available for it than anything else of that time. kind of like the sbc ever since it was introduced.
    also, when i first started to learn about engines in school, there was a junk yard sbc we rebuilt. it is only natural you want to pick up an engine you are familiar with, build it, and put it in something. i am sure eveyone learned on flathead fords in the mid 50s and before....same idea.
    that being said, do what you like. i have 2 flathead fords, 1 sbc, 1 y block, and 1 poly 318.

25. t5stang91

t5stang91

i think the cost of a 320 ford and a 350 are very comparable , it boggles me why people put a sbc where a sbf could easily go. i think im gonna put my 347 stroker out of my mustang in my 48 fleetmaster

26. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

My opinion for what it's worth...... We've all heard the typical arguments from the bellybutton guys. Thousands of early Fords get bastardized because an sbc is cheaper fits more easily etc. blah blah blah This comes from guys willing to do all kinds of modifications from splitting wishbones, cutting X- members, eliminating torque tubes, converting buggy springs and on and on. Guys find ways to do all of these things but can't find the way to keep their old Ford, all Ford.

I submit to you a different perspective. Chevrolet was a 6 cyl company pretty much right up until 1954. Their engine compartments were meant for inline engines. If I'm not mistaken the Chevy 6 was babbit for quite some time and did'nt have full pressure oiling till `53 on the powerglide models. I wonder why more `29- `54 Chevy owners don't look to the Ford 240" and 300" as an answer to their prayers. There is not a tougher inline than the big Ford 6. They are far more common in salvage yards than the later Chevy 6's due to their longer production runs.They come from the factory with 12 ports and 4" bores. Every one of them has insert brgs and full pressure oiling. They have the common small block Ford bell flange so all kinds of efficient transmissions bolt right up and all are internally balanced. This is a grocery list of what guys with early Chevys 6's modify their engines to. Installing a big Ford 6 into any 1929- 1954 Chevrolet has to be the biggest no brainer ever. I'd like to see the groundswell of Chevy enthusiasts finding a way to accept that thought.

27. vertible59

vertible59

Yep, or a 289 dressed up with all the Shelby goodies, or a Boss 302, or a '61 401hp 390, or a 351 Cleveland CJ. or a 428 CJ, or a 429 SCJ, or a Boss 429 just to name a few.:D

28. Well, I think they might be too long to fit - 49-54 Chevy anyways space is at a premium under the hood. But I know some guys use them in the vintage stock car clubs where they have to run an inline, with pretty good results.

29. used to be a "Ford guy" Everytime I wanted to put something together, none of the stuff I had would work together. I set my 33 Ford P/U up with a small block Chev. Now I can run most any small block or big block, or trans combo w/o building a new car. And I still think you'd have a hard time out running it with a ford motor and trans built for the same money as my 350. Pretty safe bet resale will be better with the sbc too.

30. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There has never and never will be a better looking engine than the Ford 427 SOHC.
    As much as I love Flatties, especially with ARDUN heads, Nailheads and Hemi's they just dont have the 'I'm gonna eat you and your family for a mid morning snack' like the cammer does.