Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford 9 inch posi's & detroit lockers??? anyone know these things?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rickyracer1962, Nov 29, 2006.

1. rickyracer1962

rickyracer1962

anyway i can tell the difference between a detroit locker & clutch posi when the third member is out? how hard is it to swap gears out of these?

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

The factory Locker will be virtually 100% machined on it's external surface. Also when you look inside (where the splines are) you will NOT see any side gears, spiders etc - it will appear to be a smooth transition all the wat through with one seam that unless you look close will not be noticed.
    The Traction Lock (posi) will be rough cast on both sides with only some machining - also on the ring bolt side it will have pockets for the ring gear bolts - this is because they "buldged" that side out to have room for the clutch pack. WHen looking inside - you will see two disctinct spline areas - if you look close on one of them it will appear split - this is the clutch hub and its mating side gear - the other spline will be continuous - full length side gear - in between those spines you will also see a space for the "pin" for the spider gears.

Do a search on google - there are now LOTS of different lockers and some will be different than the old Dapco No Spin - also adding to some confusion is when guys incorrectly refer to a clutch posi as a "locker" - the way I always learned it was that a locker aka Dapco No Spin - was without clutches - they use "square cut" gears and will allow some ratcheting to go around corners.

3. rickyracer1962

rickyracer1962

cool. anyone have any pics???

4. C9

C9
    Member Emeritus

Only from the outside.:D
    4.57 Detroit Locker. :eek:

Used for rolling around, I'm putting together a 3.25 Auburn Locker right now.
    Just about finished making all the tools to do so . . . as well as waiting for my nifty new - ok, only slightly used - Sturdevant inch-pounds torque wrench I got off Ebay to get here.

Strikes me that swapping gears with the lockers - on a nine inch anyway - shouldn't be any big deal.
    Ring & pinion goes on same as it does on a non-locker.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Attached Files:

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. squirrel

squirrel

locker:

[​IMG]

traction lock:

[​IMG]

6. rickyracer1962

rickyracer1962

alright, i pulled this thing apart tonight, sorry for the crappy pics, all i had was a camera phone. does this look like a detroit locker, or a clutch type posi? it has 4 big pins, 4 holes, and when i look inside the holes i see a bunch of gears. what is the best oil to run in these? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. squirrel

squirrel

definitely not a locker....

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Looks like the garden variety traction-lok...good for a clutch-type limited slip rear.

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I'm afraid that piece is total junk and not worth anything. You can send it to me (postage paid) and I will dispose of it for you no charge!!!!!

Seriously - that appears to be a factory Ford Traction Lock - aka clutch type posi. Nothing wrong with them - but under LOTS of abuse they tend to crack the "hat section" where the clutch pack lives. So inspect it for cracks/wear - freshen the clutches if they need it and run it!!!! Is it 28 or 31 spline???

10. squirrel

squirrel

they can break with not much abuse....but putting it in a hot rod instead of a 4x4 will let it live a reasonably long life.

11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Rebuild kits for the clutches runs about $55 - worth it to freshen up. Let the clutches soak in gear oil overnight. If you can live with the noise, leave the friction modifier out - if you want it quiet, put it in, but it will shorten the clutch life...

12. rickyracer1962

rickyracer1962

so do i just run regular gear oil with this? what would you guys run in it?

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

If you want it quiet, run a gear oil labled for limited-slip rear ends. If you want it to last a little bit longer, run one that isn't labled that way. If you want something inbetween, run synthetic that isn't labeled for limited-slip....

If it were me & I'd never run one before, I'd run without it & see how I liked it. They can make a popping noise through the turns if they don't have the friction modifier in them. If you decide you don't like it, go get a tube/bottle of friction modifier & squirt it in and do some figure 8s to work it into the clutch pack...

14. rickyracer1962

rickyracer1962

i dont mind noise much, but which would give the best performance? thanks for the info so far!

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

When new, they'd be about the same. If you run w/o the friction modifier (posi additive), it'll last a little longer.

Clutch-type limited slip rears are limited in what they can do. They're a good compromise for the street as most average folks find the ratchet-type (detroit) to be too noisy & obtrusive. The compromise is slippage of the clutches to make the wheels turn different speeds in corners. They're made to slip & the friction modifier actually allows them to slip easier so they're less noisy, but it means they slip more & wear out quicker...a tradeoff.

I don't put friction modifier in any of mine...they seem to last slightly longer.

16. BigChief

BigChief

Run the friction modifier AND run sythetic lube. You'll like the peace and quiet and your differential's pinion gears and bearings will be much happier for it. We've rebuilt and owned plenty of Traction-Loc diffs that have been living quite happliy behind everything from high winding Boss 302s to 427s, 428CJs to even one behind a 520" 385 series/C6 package that sees street-strip duty with no failures or premature failures. My 428SCJ Mach I was drag raced, street raced and even road raced at Watkins Glen for the 18 years that I've owned it. That 31 spline Traction-Loc was just pulled out to be put in a different car and the clutches look mint and the breakaway torque is well within specification.

Don't try to out engineer the engineers on this one. Rebuild it to factory specs, use high quality lube, use the friction modifier and you'll have many years of smooth, trouble free service from your Traction-Loc.

-Bigchief.

17. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Check for cracks between the bolt countersinks. I've seen several that were broken.

[​IMG]

18. C9

C9
    Member Emeritus

Where do I get friction modifiers and what brand do I look for?

Far as that goes, what's a good brand of synthetic diff lube?

19. rickyracer1962

rickyracer1962

got it together this past weekend. couldnt find any sythetic gear oil or friction modifier. i ended up using lucas high performance gear oil. seems to work good. i see what you guys mean about the unit being noisy!

20. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've seen the limited-slip lube in nearly every Autozone I've ever been to...it's usually in a small tube with the gear oil. NAPA has it also.

21. squirrel

squirrel

it's called

Sta-Lube Equa-Torque Differential Oil Additive

or something