Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 302 with Edelbrock 1404 manual Choke Bogging at full throttle at take off.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Sep 19, 2014.

1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I am mostly happy with the tune on my 302 edelbrock carb setup.. however, if I am sitting at a stand still and floor the truck ( 65 ford f100 ) it will go... but it is boggy and takes a bit for the power to come up.. if I try and hot brake it. it will almost stall out. The engine is rebuilt by a credible builder.. its had head work.. it is a late 80s block and heads.. Edelbrock performer intake, mild cam, motor craft plugs, HEI proform distributer, everything new inside.. the engine makes a lot of good torque and power under normal power -- but at Wot it sucks--

When it comes to daily driving it is great... snappy... feels strong and responsive... flog it.. and all goes to poop.. if Im rolling down the road good and give it hard acceleration it will actually work right.. and hit hard.. but parked or cruising it is a no go.

Any ideas? I read that fuel pressure may be too high... thoughts?
    Thanks ahead for your your help.

- - I know the Edelbrock isn't the most popular around here... and I am considering other carbs.. I can say I don't particularly want a holley.

2. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Thought I should add - - it didn't do this when I first got the engine in and setup - - it would go as expected. this was 2008 when first done.. I've done general tuning here and there.. but whatever has happened it is no good for WOT - - - wishing I would of payed attention to my dad when he used to tune carbs everyday... face palm. shakes head. He helped set mine up initially and get it timed right, but Cancer and old age have got him a state he barely remembers a lot of this stuff. I appreciate the help.

3. aircoup

aircoup

Dirt in the carb?

4. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Anythings possible I guess.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Sounds like a lean condition to me. Buy a jet, spring kit and play.

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

tfeverfred likes this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

X2. I did this, as per the instructions and it woke my Edelbrock up. And YES. Hold that tiny clip SECURLY with needle nose pliers. When you see it, you'll know why.

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

An old mechanic I worked with call them Jesus clips, as in Jesus I just lost another one.

9. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Which hole do you guys recommend for this condition. Upper or lower... It's in middle

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!