Register now to get rid of these ads!

For you guys who use EZ-Pass.. Read this!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rld14, Jun 22, 2012.

1. rld14

rld14

For those of us who use EZ-Pass with pre-1960 cars this is kinda important.

I drove my 54 Ford through a toll booth the other day and got a "Call EZ-Pass" message on the board. I couldn't add the car online as it won't take pre-1960 cars.

I called EZ-Pass customer service and they were able to add the car and this saved me from a violation... Apparently if they see a plate # not registered to your account they can suspend it and then you get $25-50 violations billed to you.

Just a heads up...

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Age discrimination lawsuit...
    And...I wonder how EZ Pass reader gets along with solid core ignition wires??

3. bob giles

bob giles

I have a '55 Chev P/U on Easy Pass with no problems.

4. scrubba

scrubba

Are you running "Vintage plates" in New Jersey or what? this is the first instance I've heard and we have E- Z pass in Virginia . scrubba

5. Seems to me the problem isn't the year of the car, it's that you hadn't added it to the EZ-pass account.

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had E-Z Pass on my '37 Chevy coupe for years and never had a problem. The problem, I believe, is that you didn't register your car with E-Z Pass, which is a definite no-no! It pays to read the small print sometimes.............

7. rld14

rld14

Problem is,

E-Z Pass New York had told me that I had to load my cars online, OK, that's fine..etc.

But here's what happens when you try to load a Pre-1960 car online:

(I made this one up, I don't have a 59 T-Bird)

[​IMG]

But calling them and asking really nicely got their customer service people to add the older cars to my account... The thing is, if you don't register your cars you can get in trouble with them, and that can be costly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  8. anything is possible in New Jersey.....

but I have had EZ-Pass in my 39 stuck to the windshield seems like forever, so far no problems.... but I don't want to say it to loud,,,

9. rld14

rld14

It's the first time this has happened to me, but I have heard of it happening before.

Lady I spoke to on the phone said that they randomly check license plates and compare them to the tag's account.

10. LongT

LongT

Maybe new or maybe NJ. In PA my T-bucket was no problem a couple of years ago.

Bill

11. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

I grab my ezp from one of my other cars all the time and Ive never had an issue and my roadster is a 29 with 29 plates

12. LongT

LongT

Had an EZ Pass confiscated one time. Of course that was in a large truck, not a semi though. And the EZ Pass was for a car.

13. brewster55

brewster55

My previous job involved testing cars over night, usually different car every week. Obviously never registered any of them, and never got a fine.

Also switch them between my personal car and truck, never had a problem.

14. rld14

rld14

Yup,

I've been doing the same for years. I work in the car business and when I took a demo I was often driving a different car every night, and I just swapped my E-Z Pass between cars obviously. I didn't even always use the same dealer plate, sometimes I had one from one store, sometimes from another store.

This is a first though, maybe they're hurting for $$ as well and figure they can pick up some revenue this way?

15. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

My son has been using my car for about two months now and had his tag in the window.
    My tag in the glove compartment and (of course) my plates on the car.
    We get a statement every two months.
    They billed his tag AND mine about a quarter of the time and just mine half the time!
    He gets a discount because he commutes to work so it is in their favor if they bill my tag.

I expect to spend an hour or two on the phone tomorrow!

16. I hope TN remains toll free; I loathed paying NYS for its toll roads when I lived there.

17. I have had the same problem with pre 60 cars, trucks. I just call and they take care of it.

18. Normbc9

Normbc9

I got three Toll Bridge violation taickets in the mail citing my expired EZ Pass. I live in California and don't have an EZ Pass for the Tolll Bridges. they must be on a money hunt here.
    Norm

19. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I don't know what you mean by "trouble". The worst trouble I ever got in with ez-pass was having to pay the toll by mail.

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

What the Hell is an EZ Pass?

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If you had an EZ pass on your roadster you would no longer have to hand the guy at the Bonneville starting line a dollar to make your run!
    It's an electric transponder thing that can be read from a moving car going through a toll booth.
    If you have not encountered this, you should be deeply thankful!

22. pitman

pitman

It also helps them diagnose where you were and when...after they've rounded up the usual suspects!

23. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

WTF is an E-Z pass? Some kind of bowel movement?

24. E-Z pass is an electronic thing you can get from the state so you can zip through the toll both without stopping, it reads it and knows who you are. You get the bill in the mail and can pay with a credit card if you want. I think it actually costs so much a month whether you use it or not, but in exchange the first 30 miles are free - a buddy I know who used to have one when he worked here but lived an hour away, would get off the exit halfway between here and there and hang a u-turn and get right back on, to beat the toll.

Different states have different names, too, in Massachusetts they call it "Fast Lane" - but they all work on each other's systems.

25. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I'm once again, deeply thankful.

26. rld14

rld14

Yup... there's a lot of different plans, but I save $$ on tolsl and don't wait in line. Gas is cheap in NJ (Just filled the Lincoln w/ Premium @ $3.38/gal) but the tolls more than make up for it. On the turnpike they now have some high speed lanes.. you cruise through the tolls at 70 without even slowing down.

It's a small plastic box, square and a little thinner than a pack of smokes that you put on the inside of your windshield. Mine are linked to my credit card, when my balance goes below $15 I think it is they hit me for another $50 or so.

It works anywhere from DC north to Maine and from NYC west to Chicago. I've driven to Chicago and not stopped for a single toll booth, which is nice.

27. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

I never heard of any EZ-Pass being suspended for being used in a different vehicle. People put their own transponder into rental cars all the time. Or lend it to a family member who is going on vacation, and so forth.

28. Fenders

Fenders

Correct... and wait for the day when they calculate your speed between toll booths (and they can do that now) and send you a ticket in the mail !!

29. daliant

daliant

EZ pass= just an easier way for the govt to take your money at toll booths and also a way for them to track your movement. I say FUCK 'em pay the toll with pennies!!

30. x 2