Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flyin' Brick II build & race thread. (ex-Flyin' Brick car)

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, May 8, 2013.

1. Old28

Old28

Dick, Float looked real nice in the parade yesterday, everyone should be happy with the results. :):cool:

2. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

Thank you guys. We work very hard to put out a good product and this one was a lot of fun. Just got it back to the barn tonight after a day on display for the folks of Sierra Madre.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

I really love this car, but then again I have a soft spot for slant 6s.

4. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420429810.742437.jpg
    Here is the finished product.

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looked better in person than it does in the pictures! :D

6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, I'm not sure why a lot of the long shots look so washed out, but here're a couple more, and a video.
    Video link here, we're in segment #10, about 3:48 into it (after the commercial opening).

d.jpg

s.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  7. bobw

bobw

Terrific float, Dick. The man-hours must be immense.

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, a LOT of time goes into a float. ;)

Here's a shot of the 'Brick from last year's Forever Four's Antique Nationals at Fontana that I ran across last week, and bought a print. Photog's one Roger Rohrdanz, his stuff's on Fotki. He gets some nice angles.
    Antique Nats, \'14, Fontana.jpg

I'll be hauling the car down into the garage for the season's initial tinkering sometime next week. :D

9. bobw

bobw

Nice photograph. Your car is so goll darn cool looking I've been sitting here wondering how I can follow in your footsteps.

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy, Kiddies,

The 'Brick won't go down to the garage 'til next week now. We sold the float's train, tracks and all, to a group in Tucson, and I've been re-engineering it for transport and for their use. Finished loading it all up into a 53' box Saturday (they hooked that up and hit the bricks Monday).
    Got these vids from'em this evening ......
    Loco.
    Bear.
    Giraffes.
    Sock Monkey.
    It'll be used in a fund raiser for a childrens' hospital there, and they hope to eventually refurbish it and set it up permanently for the kids there.

Got to talk with the guys from Tucson a bit, when they came out to look over the project initially. One of'em is the guy who recently did a full restoration of Arfon's #5 Green Monster, a really nice job, too.

Have been catching up with my customers on the bench this week.
    Really looking forward to getting the 'Brick ready for the three day get together up at Eagle Field. The ANRA Opener and the Barona Antiques Meet are up first of course, but three days at Rocky's (opening with a night race :cool:) will be the one to remember. :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  11. bobw

bobw

Now I know what happens to some floats. Nice to see it put to good use.
    Don't let work get in the way of race prep... A guy has to have priorities.

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy, Gentlemen,

Didn't do much this spring, just tidied up a few things, and painted & polished some others. Also found about 5 more lbs to whittle off.
    I'll be doing a fresh short block and some minor body mods later in the year, along with an extra set of hides specifically for "smokin'em". :rolleyes: But that's about it, she's finally what I want. :cool:

Here're a couple shots of'er as she sits now, ready for the Grove, the Pit, and EAGLE FIELD. :D

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

14. Old28

Old28

Looking good and ready for some spring racing. Best of luck at all the races and be safe.

15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Love the SUs. What size are they? My Champ car will use two HS6s.

16. Old,
    Lookin good,Have fun at Eagle field.

17. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Thanks, Gentlemen. Fun will be had. :cool:

Frenchtown, I'm not as brutal as you are. :D
    The carbies're HIF6's (1.75") with the smog circuits deleted and blocked off. I'm running OA6 needles with red springs and ATF in the pots. The mani's Lynx, and needs the stacks to keep the standing waves in the system. I do my own porting, bought Ted Stanwood's valves, run stock springs, stock dumbell lifters, stock recessed keepers, and stock rockers (a bit lighter though ;)). These work because I only run a medium duty .450" lift Erson RDP cam (mostly for the long intake lobe). Bone stock tired short block at the moment (compressions're only in the short 100's), so only running tall 12's for now.
    She'll easily tach to destruction if you let'er, but is slow enough getting there that it's controllable.

My next short block'll be poked .060" to .o8o", and decently balanced. That, and some decent compression'll get me to reliable mid 12's on the Coker hides.
    It may be hard for some to understand, but that's all I want out of'er.
    Hell, I'm just a leftover geezer having a bit of cheap fun. :cool:

Hmmm, ran on a bit, didn't I? Sorry, must've needed to yak. :rolleyes: :D

18. spanners

spanners

I don't think you waffled on. You're just a bit passionate about having a bit of fun without getting hung up on spending big dollars to go really, really fast and want to pass that sentiment on to others. Plus, you are probably itching to get behind the wheel and have a fang.

19. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

You have that right spanners. He is passionate about these cars, innovative, likes "thinking outside of the box" and loves the "fun to funds" ratio that these cars provide. Must add he's a bit crazy too, but in a good way. We have known each other so damn long that at times (shudder) we feel related. o_O

20. old sparks

old sparks

Welcome to the dark side, trying to get more out of your combination. Next thing you know, you`ll be talking squaring the block and looking for zero deck pistons.:) See you in 2 weeks

21. bobw

bobw

Old6, the car looks ready to carry you down the strip, 50's style. Please run on, waffle on, prattle, rattle or whatever. Always enjoy reading your posts. And occasionally a bit of your knowledge soaks through my thick skull.

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Spanners, that's a chronic itch we likely all have. And soon to be scratched anew. :D

440, sometimes I think (perversely) that we're better brothers than the ones we were issued. :confused:

Two weeks? It's a date! :cool:

23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I think you may be right on that. o_O

24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

So.......How did things go at the ANRA meet? Inquiring minds want to know.o_O

25. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Had a ball. Went out first round to a great run from one of the hard core bracket folks, but put on a good race against him at least. Launched an .070, ran a 13.333 on my 13.20 dial, hit all the gears, and clocked in at 103.55. My opponent, Jim's 10.314 on a 10.30 just wasn't beatable by me this lifetime. :D
    Joe busted out by an rch on his run, and Jeana went rose' on hers, so all three of us HA/GR's were out right off the bat.
    In that it was early enough, Kay & I loaded up, and headed back to the barn to get in some float work, rather than waste the rest of the day.

The awards BBQ was great, as always, and there was some really cool tin this year as well. In particular a specific Hudson of which I took a few pictures.
    It was also a gas helping put together a cool "match race" between Sparks and Joe for second round Saturday. I'm really looking forward to more of that. :cool:

HAMBie's back in my posession, well, in spirit anyway (Jeana forgot to bring'im along ...... twice ;)).
    Joe & I drew first round (we do it during quals), and he went red whilst burning out a 12.025 x 115.26 to my third gear bobble at 13.704 x 100.85.
    Jeana & I lined up for second round, and she red-eyed out a 13.680 x 98.48 to my 13.564 x 103.24.
    That one was wild, as they've found & begun correcting her top end fade-out, resulting in a near perfect match between our cars once again. Between us (I left late to insure NO red) she led by .476 on the launch, and I reeled in about half of it through second. Then I bobbled third again and could only make a few more feet through the traps, not even the proverbial snowball's chance of catching her. Gonna be neck & neck stuff again at Eagle. :cool:

I shot video of all of'em, and some pictures I'm going to be circumspect about 'til I can post'em up. However ...... we're in the middle of a computer change here, and at present I'm without the program I use for that. So, they'll all reside in the cameras 'til I can get that sorted out. :(

As promised, FUN was had. As was good company, and yet another good time at another of Butch's meets. :cool:

26. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

OK, Kiddies,

Here's the link to the ANRA Opener videos.

And here're a couple shots of one seriously cool buggy there. :cool:

Hudson 001.JPG

Hudson 004.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

Hudson 009.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  27. bobw

bobw

Thanks, Dick. I enjpy riding along.

Ultra cool Hudson Jet. Did you catch any e.t's for it?

28. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, beautiful work on that one. They were sorting out a problem reaching tach that I think may be partially due to a poorly clocked cam. They were limited to about 3800 or so, and hadn't been able to fix it at the strip (I didn't think to ask about their 60'). That big Hudson six wants more than that for sure. Likely have a bit more fun at their next meet. :cool:

29. Old28

Old28

Nice pictures of the injected Hudson Jet. Do you know were the car is from? Was he running HOT ROD or a GAS INDEX?

30. Old 6, Thanks for postin pics of the Hudson! Love seein cool stuff like that, neat lil car.