Register now to get rid of these ads!

floor shifter in a 50 ford with O/D trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57ford/60thunderbird, Sep 1, 2010.

1. hey all my 50 ford has its original 3speed overdrive trans in it i bought a mr gasket (my budget or lack thereof) universail floor shifter for it i havent tried to install the shifter yet
    but while looking at the trans it seems the overdrive soleniod might be in the way of mounting the shifter my over drive switch is frozen and my original cable is broke so im thinking (just for the time being ) that ill remove the solenoid and plug up the hole (ive been told i can do this without hurting the trans)

but im just curious if anyone on here has put a floor shifter in a shoebox with overdrive and if it presented any problems thanks for any info

if there is a fancy way of mounting the shifter with the solenoid in place it would be awesome if someone could post a pic or two of how they done it

2. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Not sure where I got this pic but here you go:

[​IMG]

Jim

3. thanks for the pic i think my trans is alittle different from that one im thinking my solenoid isabout where the overdrive lever is ,and the overdrive lever is about where the shifter is in your pic of course mine is all greasy and still in the car

4. ok ima dope i checked out my trans and its the same thanks again

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

If it were me, I'd concentrate on getting the overdrive to work. The amount of grease and grunge removal would be about the same as trying to install a floor shift. There have been numerous threads both here and on The Fordbarn explaining how the O.D works and how to make it work. Sounds like some wiring problems. THEN see if you can make your shifter fit and work. The mechanics of almost all floor shifters are similar and even if some fabbing is required it can't be insurmountable.

6. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

We sell a nice book on explaining the BW overdrive (how it works, wiring diagram, exploded parts drawing, trouble-shooting etc) for $15.00. We also stock typical BW overdrive repair parts, so perhaps we can provide some help when you're ready to tackle the OD.

www.flatheadv8.com

7. where in cincy are you?

8. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Shop is in Milford off Old Rt 28. We don't keep regular retail hours there, except we are generally there on Wednesdays from 10-3pm. That is our trans rebuild day, so it's busy but you are welcome to come in. It helps a lot if you want to pick parts up to call a day ahead to let me know what you need. Virtually all our trans and clutch parts are there. The rest of our parts (ie flathead engine parts, ignition parts, etc) are at my hidden top-secret location out in the country! Seriously, call ahead if you want to stop out.... Mac

Office: 800-299-7496
    Cell: 513-673-5480

9. Gasser57

Gasser57

10. thanks gasser that helps

forty ford guy ill be callin ya thanks