Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flatheads! Hemis! Nailheads! Pontiac's! Chevy's! Dragsters! A tour of Don Garlits' !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Greezy

Greezy

Thanks for posting pics Glenn. I went twice last year, the second visit Don was in the gift shop. I have to say that will probably be the closest I'll ever get to greatness. They must have been tuning up SRIII earlier, there were very long black marks in the driveway that looked pretty fresh. I highly recommend anyone going through the area to stop in. But make sure you dont have to be anywhere else in a hurry.

2. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Thanks for posting the pics. Every sport has its kings and Don ranks up there with the best. He really given a lot back to the racing community with his museum. First class all the way!!!

3. 6-71

6-71

I visited there a couple of months ago,fantastic,any person with any automotive interests should not miss it.I loved the story on the allison powered dragster in the engine room.the sign says the v-12 engine was bought from a salvage yard for $50. and the whole car was race ready for less than $500. thats what you call low buck racing.I also was really impressed with dons channeled 36 coupe,has an eye catching style. I didnt remember don driving a turbine car but its all part of the history lesson at his place.:)

4. ANewBeat

ANewBeat
    from Floriduh

This one? Must have been about '83/'84, I couldn't have been any more than 3 years old.

Attached Files:

5. repoguy

repoguy

Just wanted to add a little tidbit.

Being from Tampa, it was a little extra cool for me because of the fact that it's where his original shop was, and where they started building all of this stuff. One of my favorite parts of the museum was Charlie Hogan's car. According to Don, it was THE car to beat in the early 50's in Tampa and St Pete. I don't remember exactly what year model A it was, but it was running a v12 Lincoln flatty. That kind of shit really does it for me.

6. LITTLE CAR

LITTLE CAR

Wow.....that Place Has Got To Give U Goose Bumps When U Walk In The Place. !!!

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Glad to hear that your enjoying the photo tour ....

8. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

back in the late 1980's i sold don my 1949 caddy digger engine. it was a spare dragster engine built in 1956 in norfolk virginia. he was going to use it in the first rail to go over 150 mph. the bustelbomb???? it used and olds engine to start then kicked in the caddy.....the engine was way to radical to use in my 31 roadster.....i haven't seen it since he bought it...cadillac dave

9. Early Iron MC

Early Iron MC
    from DeSoto WI.

AHotRod, I've been going there since it opened, my inlaws live in Lake Pan. it just keeps getting better every year.

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

It does get better all the time....just wish Don would jump in on this thread :)

11. Man, those are some crazy rails.

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

You can get so many ideas from the cars Don has there, no question on being period correct.

13. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

It was amazing 20 years ago but I need to go again. The guy saved the marbles he played with as a kid, the ultimate pack rat

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

oh-Oh-Oh-Awwww-Thanks. Those pics made my day, time for a nap.

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

It amazing .....

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

Up for the new guys .....

17. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

I'll be about 20 minutes away from Don in mid january, visiting the in-laws, definately going to take the place in once or twice !
    : ) Thanks for the pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

18. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

what if i am not a new guy??????????:rolleyes:

19. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

awesome! thanks!!

I put an ad on the Hot heads website several months back for some hemi parts. A couple days later, Don himself wrote and said he had the parts to sell if I wanted them. I ended up going a different route and not getting them, but I was a bit shocked at the fact that he had even bothered to write to a nobody like me. I was impressed that after all he as accomplished that he was still willing to take the time and possibly help me out with some parts if needed. He is a legend in my book. I hope I get to meet him and see his museum some day. I am probably going to Florida in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll drop by too if I can make the time.

20. 63necker

63necker

Awesome. Thanks for the pics. I remember watching The Little Red Wagon wheel stand as a kid!

21. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

Thanks for the pictures, I simply have to go.

I've been told many of Smokey's Hudson parts made it there. I think the golden Twin-H was a Smokey piece.

I have got to go. Who doesn't love all that stuff?

Hud

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

Come over on March 22, 2008 ......Billetproof @ Big Daddys!