Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical flathead should I or shouldn't I

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wood remover, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Friend called me up and has a running flathead on a stand , he got it from another friend !!!
    He has the motor and transmission thinks it is 48 to 53
    Say's it came out of a mercury truck
    I don't know much about flatheads but at 300.00 obo I don't think I should pass. or should I?
    Is the truck motor and trans same as a car?
    The dimple on the balance on the crank visable with the pan on? ford no dimple
    I know the early flatheads the rear of the motor covers the flywheel
    can the transmission be used in a car?
    I have A 26 t roadster I may want to use this in is it suitable?

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

Should.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Swoop on it now. Worry about the details when it's at home.

Johnny Switchblade likes this.
  4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Buy it. Then figure out what you'll do with it. If nothing else, it's great trade or sell material.

5. You should be posting pictures of your new flathead by now,
    Just sayin'

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Truck trans may be a problem in a car, maybe not. Running flathead for $300, no problem.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Do you want horsepower, or Retro Cool points ?

8. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Good price that's for sure.

9. That's what I thought!!!

10. What do you do with horsepower ,where they take your car and license away for anything 30 mph over the speed limit???

11. going tomorrow ,Wednesday to look at and purchase if all looks good !!!!

12. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

If this flathead has a Mercury crank in it then the crank alone is worth the $300. asking price and you would get the rest of the engine for free.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. banjorear

banjorear

This is an interesting motor: Merc. cars got the 4" crank for sure. Mercury trucks are rare, but are out there. I wonder if they got the same Merc. motor as a car or got a 8RT truck engine since they would need the truck water pumps and other parts for mounting.

Don't assume it has a 4" crank. These motors have had parts interchanged on them over the years. Just because it has Mercury 8BA-style heads, doesn't mean it's a Merc. until you can verify the stroke or it has a 4" crank.

Regardless, $300 is a steal for a running engine.

petsco likes this.
  14. I haven't seen the motor ,do the heads have 8ba stamped on them?
    or any other #

15. Slopok

Slopok

49 to 53 will have the distributor on top on the passenger side, 48 & down will have the crab style right in front. Sounds like a good deal either way.

16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

17. May be worth that in parts. Do you know if it holds water?? Very important. checking the stroke is easy.

18. I would buy it in a skinny minute! HRP

volvobrynk likes this.

19. Yea its a "running flathead" I am with HRP here. As far as transmission in car and etc. you're building a hot rod so whatever you decide to use will work just fine, maybe not the same as something else but it will work just fine.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. banjorear

banjorear

If it's a '48 truck motor, I believe they got the 8BA-style (Water outlets toward the front top corner of the heads and a post-style dizzy coming in the side in the front.

Cars still had the 59AB style engines in '48.

8BA-style true truck engines will have 8RT heads. I don't know what heads a Mercury truck would use. I'm assuming 1CM, but those were used with 4" cranks.

Sorry if I'm confusing the issue more, but take a picture and we'll be able to help you some more.

Hnstray likes this.
  21. I am not familiar with the motor that came stock in a merc truck, they are a Canadian thing. Maybe if one would look there is a web page with specs.

the heads should have the type of head cast into them. ideally if it were a motor that I was building I would like it to have the smooth Canadian heads those and the mountain heads that ford put on fords for sale up around Denver were the best stock heads you could buy. ;)

22. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

$300 -- good deal. No great deal. Buy it - you'll like it

23. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

My current engine is out of a 48 truck and it's a 59a block. If it is a 59a and has the truck transmission it should also have a "hogshead" adapter between the engine and the transmission. They are going for $100 to $150 on ebay.

24. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

I understand the truck engines have lower compressions, slightly less power. Can't be sure that this is the case with your engine though, alot can happen in 60 years.

25. StrickV8

StrickV8

26. 300 bucks?
    Do it now!

27. Well I went to check out this flathead today !!! motor is complete missing nothing, But it is stuck!!!
    Swears he had it running a year ago , I tend to believe him as it had the temporary wires and fuel
    can still hooked up , But still it is Stuck , says 200.00 and take it away ????

20150304_151041.jpg
    20150304_151117.jpg
    20150304_151200.jpg
    20150304_151217.jpg
    20150304_151242.jpg
    20150304_151306.jpg

20150304_152807.jpg

28. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

The hogshead and the half-bell are worth that.

29. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

For 200 bucks,that engine would would already be loaded and headed home!

30. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

They always ran when pulled. Core block. Pumps and truck trans adapter are good stuff. Check stroke for 4" merc crank. Other then that it's a core in my opinion. Rt heads are low compression heads as mentioned... my 2 cents and I'd probably buy it for the parts.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015