Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Jack Is A Crook!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luckystattoos, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luckystattoos

luckystattoos
    from SO CAL

Guys Whatever You Do, Do Not Give Your Hard Earned Money To This Guy. I Purchased A Flato Kit And A Bellhousing/starter Plate From Him So I Could Put A C4 Into My 52 Merc. The Starter Plate Cost Me $220.00 And It Does Not Work. It Angles The Starter And Jams Into The Flyswheel. He Refuses To Help Me, AND Will Not Exchange The Part. He Told Me He Is Done With This Conversation And I Am Wasting His Time. Flathead Jack Schafer Is A Crook!

2. plan9

plan9

angles the starter in which axis? up, down? lateraly?

perhaps shave some metal off to fit...

we are in the business of hot rodding.. make it fit ;)

3. riverrat

riverrat

for 220.00 it ought to fit.

riverrat

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Maybe it is the wrong nose cone? I won't pretend to know the situation, but when I worked the parts counter I recall Different ford starters for stick/auto on most applications. could be a simple mistake

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Is the starter itself (on the mounting point) flat? I had a friend with a 400 Chevy that had a bum mini starter that had a bur on it and cocked it.

6. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

That guy is a Dick.. just speakin from personal expierence but.. take a grinder to that adapter and grind a lil of it till it doesnt bind anymore then smoth it over with some sand paper.. done!!! fire it up and drive and call it a learning expierence

7. plan9

plan9

unfortunately, life doesnt always work that way.

8. luckystattoos

luckystattoos
    from SO CAL

YES HE IS A DICK! THE PLATE IS STAMPED STEEL AND ANGLES THE NOSE DOWN, WHICH BINDS BAD. UNFORTUNATELY I WILL HAVE TO PURCHASE ANOTHER, NO WAY TO GRIND ENOUGH OFF TO MAKE IT WORK. I WOULD NEVER OF PURCHASED PARTS FROM HIM UNDER HIS RECCOMENDATIONS KNOWING I WOULD BE TREATED IN SUCH A MANNER.:mad:

9. fuel pump

fuel pump
    from Caro,MI

I've heard that time and time again about him. When I built my flathead I got everything from Red and when something wasn't right they fixed it. No questions asked.:)

10. plan9

plan9

well, if you end up selling the adapter give me a shout.

11. fuel pump

fuel pump
    from Caro,MI

I've heard that time and time again about him. When I built my flathead I got everything from Red and when something wasn't right they fixed it. No questions asked.:)

12. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Calm down boy.Jack ain't on my A list but shouting like a spoilded kid won't solve the problem.If it is a FlatO kit its a good one .Post some drawings or pictures and we will walk you through it.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster

How about trying flat-o matic directly?

14. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

I bought some stuff from him a few years back and had a conversation with him, he wasn't so much a dick as he was real egotistical, I won't buy from him again. As for the product, try contacting Flat-O and explaining the situation to them, they may replace your part directly, be sure to mention how one of their distributers is a class act asshole, they may have words for him. Most reputable companies don't want that kind of association. BTW I bought the Speedway kit, it works just fine. Another thought is if you paid with a credit card, sometimes you get consumer protection. If the part was faulty, they may reimburse you? Just a thought.

15. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

I have to say it was easy to but and ask any questions from reds .. I totally agree.. ya gotta watchout for people livin walnut creek $$$$ big bucks and dont give away fucks!!!

16. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

I saw a thread like this several months ago on either the Fordbarn or MSN flathead sites. Bruce didn't the later model (1949 thru 1953) bellhousings w/automatic trans. have an angled plate on the bell and required a differetnt starter than norm?

17. Steve

Steve

what about shimming the back to level it with the nose of the starter?

18. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

CORRECTOMUNDO the FH w/auto trans starter is unique to itself and will not fit stick trans.

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster

There is definitely a combination of wrong parts that goes together but tilts the starter. I THINK it involves a passenger stickshift shield and truck or merc bell, but don't really know. The sets of this stuff I have are matched, but I have heard numerous trouble stories...

Remember, this is a 2-stage swap here...Ford truck parts (or Merc) to adapt late engine to early trans, then the flat-o part...lots of possible parts in there to make trouble.

Is this plate a Ford part or flat-o?? Their site indicates plans to manufacture a plate.

Someone with a good pile of identified late flathead parts needs to do a photo essay on bellhousings and starter plates covering the numerous variants! Most of my stuff is early flathead.

20. plan9

plan9

most of my stuff is later flathead, although i dont have any adapters.

there must have been numerous possible swaps... but i rekon the essay could be on the more popular ones.

this leads to my question, what Were the most popular swaps back then? perhaps i can compile something. :)

21. Okay, we got it, he's a dick. Now, that's been established, don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Shim the starter where it engages smoothly and get back to your life.

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster

The adapters under discussion here are just the '49-eqrly '51 Merc and '49-52 Truck stock bellhousings and starter plates (different), which convert late block to '32-48 bolt pattern. The FOM adapter bolts to the early pattern. The part being discussed is either a stock Ford part or is the Flat-o-matic part that is still in preparation according to their site. Adapting a late flathead to other trans is usually not much of a problem since a late Ford trans flange is used on all passenger bellhousings.
    The parts that need a sorting guide are the truck, merc, and Ford passenger stick housings--Merc, truck, and one version of the passenger starter plate
    (I think 1949 stamped housing) all fit the same holes, but are different.

23. 97

Aaahh you guys , remember two small things I learned as a cadet journo
    "the pen is mightier than the sword", and
    "the written word ,remains"

and there is a new one to add when dealing with traditional rodders

" power of the HAMB"

this will determine a lot of the future for Flathead Jack.
    Eventually most of his customers will be Hambers or will at least have lurked on the HAMB.

I sent "Jack" an email as follows , lets see if he really cares, or couldn't care less. His website says he is a Flathead Guru, who has all the knowledge.
    It even says his "Gems of knowledge" are known through the "industry"?? as the flathead bible.

He should take the time to help sort this out, in fact if he knows so much it shouldn't be any sort of a problem for him, it is called customer service and standing by your product.

Here is what I sent.

I thought you might be interested in this post on the most widely read, traditional Hot rod internet forum, worldwide, it sure won't do your reputation any good.
    I guess you could join up, log on and reply or just get hold of the guy and fix the problem.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87778

In the meantime don't bother filling either of my orders until I find out what the score is. I cannot afford to buy parts and have them transported 12000 miles only to find they don't work and/or I have no back up service.
    yours
    etc..

24. 50shoe

50shoe

if its a flat-o adapter call Gene. He's a hell of a nice guy and will take the time to talk to you. I think there were 2 starter plates. but Gene would know for sure.

http://www.flat-o.com/contact.htm
    [size=-1](503) 364-2934

if its not flat-o ditch it on ebay and buy something from them, they T5 kit worked out perfect for me.
    [/size]

25. want the cold truth? For fixing starter mis-alignment, call a mechanic.

26. Tudor

Tudor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from GA
    1. Sock Fuckers Car Club
    2. S.F.C.C.

that's why you should by from "Small Chevy Steve" :D j/k folks

27. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster

"want the cold truth? For fixing starter mis-alignment, call a mechanic."

This particular misalignment is a sharp tilt off axis, not a matter of shimming, and the tilted part (designed to bolt to an angled flange on a different housing) is a sheet pressing...it could probably be adapted, but with more work than fabricating a new one--this, if it's the combo I think it is, isn't a normal alignment problem but a seriously incompatible part that closely resembles the right one, in a hopeless sorta way...

28. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Good luck finding one that will touch a flathead with an adapter plate on a adapter plate in an old car. Mechanics cost money.

29. RF

RF

While tattoodude probably does need a mechanic, as Bruce pointed out, that isn't an issue here. I'm not sticking up for Jack in any way, but too often I see people bitch cause something didn't fit/work/taste right without first fully researching the situation. A shitty conversation with the source of the product and it's all over. In this world, it's not uncommon to run into problems with items designed to "mate" two other items completely foreign to each other, especially when there are a lot a variables at hand. But, I guess it's just easier to make a big deal on the Internet...

30. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I dealt one time with Flathead Jack. I ordered a polished 3 deuces manifold from him and it came on time and packed well. I wasn't impressed with the polish job , but it only took me a few hours to finish all the tight spots they'd skipped. He did try to convince me to go with a super dual instead but I finally convinced him that I really wanted a progressive 3 deuce setup for my 276.

Then I made the mistake of asking him if he had an alternator mount. I got told in no uncertain terms that a damned alternator has no business being on a flathead and if I wanted one of those to go somewhere else. So I did. Been happy ever since....

Really surprised me to see you got a C-4 conversion setup from him. Guess he's mellowing out a bit nowadays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.