Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead horsepower help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaden, Oct 12, 2010.

1. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A flathead is a 1931 motor. Back then most folks lived in the boonies and drove on lousy roads. Aim for torque, not horsepower. If you want horses, get an sbc or an LS and save a ton of $.

2. fiftee6effie

fiftee6effie

Wow! Great thread! I am going to build a flathead v8 for my 1949 Mercury truck but I also thought you could get more horses out of a flathead, oh well what ever horses I get will be cool, I can hardly wait to drive it.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

They have plenty of torque at a decent rpm so it makes up for the lack of HP

4. It would be hard to keep it together for long, as a driver.Build a mild flathead and enjoy the beautiful sound it makes.

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Really? Anyone want to put their money where there mouth is? Flatheads can make SBC HP, with BBC/Hemi torque-just not Ford flatheads!:D

..and yes, I realize this is an old thread!

Attached Files:

6. If you are looking to break records or necks with a flathead, you better be in a tiny roadster or a rail. Otherwise, flatties look/sound/feel great, but are not beating up the pavement without spending copious amounts of cash, my big ol Merc will hit 100mph with not many mods, but it takes me the weekend to get there.
    If you are going all out and spending that kind of money, maybe a french block big bored, forged internals might get you there.