Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Flathead Engine Identification Challenge - Newbies and Under 40 Years of Age!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bored&Stroked, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Okay Gang:
    I'm taking apart an old Ford flathead V8 - it is ugly, dirty, corroded, pistons stuck with what appears to be boiled Owl Shit . . . been soaking in 50% acetone and 50% trans fluid to get things un-stuck.

Now I've been into flatheads for 40 years, built many different types of engines . . . from basically stock, to 3/4 race, to full race, to blown and ridiculous. BUT - I've never worked on one of these . . . though I've kept my eyes peeled since I was 15 - just in case I ran into one. This is the first for me . . .

So - tell me what year this old girl is and the first one who gets it right, gets a prize. Yes - you will get a cleaned up piston out of it! (See the picture - ain't she a peach!) :) Yippee! Better than a Ginzu Knife . . . Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!

Hey, don't bitch about the moldy piston, it did it's job, it's factory original . . . and it is STD bore . . . so be proud of the prize if you happen to be glorious and win it.

Now, I don't want you ancient flathead guys guessing - I want to see if any of the younger generation knows what this is . . . yeah, the guys that could be my kids or grandkids. And the rule is that you can't just guess - you have to tell me HOW you know your answer is correct. Note: There are at least TWO clearly telltale clues . . .

The challenge is on . . . enjoy!

B&S

IMG_1693 copy.jpg IMG_1694 copy.jpg IMG_1695 copy.jpg

2. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Hey bored and stroked I'm 32 years old and just bought my first flatly last year for my 34 ford

My guess on that old mill you have there is a 1932 ford block. Only year to my knolage with vertical pet cocks for the coolent

It also should have had an aluminum oil pan.

Thanks Brad

3. The petcocks and 4 freeze plugs in the pan rail tell me 1932 as well. The entire engine is unique to 1932 with a little carry over into '33 before any major changes were made. Too bad I was late to the game this time around.

4. loudbang

loudbang

Booooooooo that is ageism against us old guys :rolleyes:

Mr48chev and Hnstray like this.

5. We Have Two Winners:

I'm impressed - the post was only up on the site for a little over an hour on Sunday night - and two guys got it figured out before I got up. You see, the reason I posted it late was because typically the youth is still up, while us more 'mature' hotrodders have been in bed for awhile!

1) Vertical Water Drain Pet Cocks - Correct!: As you can clearly see, the up-front water drains are vertical/point straight down. (At least for the one unbroken one!).

2) Pan Rail Freeze Plugs - Not Unique to 32, Incorrect: Well - these are not unique to 1932, so actually that answer is not correct. Ford used these soft plugs all the way until 1940. They were removed right about 1941 or so.

Both 'flatnasty' and 'HotRodder31' are correct on the '32' vintage - and since I have more than one piston, I'll be happy to send you both one. Can't say that I've ever had an original 1932 Ford piston in my grubby paws . . . STD bore (which tells me it probably came in the engine).

Hey guys - if you want to collect your fine prize, PM me your addresses. I probably won't get to sending them until the whole engine is apart (lots of work) and I get back from a trip - a few weeks from now.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  6. Second Challenge: Everybody can join in on this one - posted tonight!

I'm going to add one or two more pictures - as there are a few more visual clues -- some on the outside, some on the inside. Heck, this is a good education session for everybody. Who knows, you might stumble upon one of these blocks/engines one day. Though they are my last choice for hotrodding, they are still worth a lot if you are lucky enough to find a good one.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A second challenge...how is piston pin retained in a '32 and how does that differ from most later engines?

8. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

B&S, if you didn't get a set or a useable set with that engine, this 23 year old has a set of large plug '32 cylinder heads if you need them. With an original set of plugs intact and useable!!

9. the piston having a full split skirt? (no i'm not being kinky!)

10. Awesome that a 23 year old can even have this conversation - love it! I have a set that I believe will be good, but have not checked them out as of yet. What shape are yours in and do the plugs look to be original ones - like Champion C-4 (I believe that was a common part number)? PM me and let me know what you're looking to get for them, drop me a couple pictures, etc.. I'm SERIOUSLY in need of a 32 tall coil - dang things appear to be unobtainium (like a 32 fuel pump - another beast that I need!).

11. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Thanks BandS

That was a good challenge I look forward to the next.

12. Nice stuff Dale !

13. I managed to get the crankshaft, rods and pistons out of it last night - was a real bitch! It had water inside at some point - corrosion on the pistons, etc.. As this is my first 32 engine, found some other FUN stuff for tonights challenge

14. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

I might be able to track you down a tall deuce coil as well.

The plugs are a full set of original champions, the engine was pulled apart in the 60's from a cracked block. From what I've been told it was quite low milage, so the plugs could very well be original equipment. Sadly when the engine was pulled apart the factory alloy pan was lost along with the connecting rods. I do have 2 original short snout cranks if you come to need one of those as well. One out of the deuce engine and another out of a 33. I can't recall the measurements on either one though.

I will try and dig the heads out to get some pictures of them for ya over the next day or so.

Brant.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Thanks a bunch! I'm slowly gathering up all the parts - is a long process and lots of leads that don't pan out. I pulled the crank last night - does have some rust damage on the mains. If it is truly a forged steel crank (which is what 32's are supposed to be), then it can probably be welded and then reground. Are either of your cranks the 32 forged unit?

Coil: Yeah - still looking for one . . . any good core is a start as long as it isn't cracked and damaged. Much appreciate all your help. :)

16. Okay a new challenge - this one should be an easy one:

When you look at the front of this block - what makes it easily identifiable as a 1932 OR early 1933 block:

BlockFront copy.jpg

The answer does not guarantee it is a 1932 block - this feature COMBINED with the straight down water drains (drilled and in use) makes it easy to know you're looking at a 1932 block without taking it apart.

Second clue: What can somebody tell me about the front cam journal bore location (with it apart, you can notice something unique to 32 here . . . might have leaked into 33', not 100% sure). Hint: This is JUST as I took it apart . . . nothing removed . . .

17. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

The 32 block and some early 33 blocks had no cam bearings. The 32 cam was steel not cast so there was no problem running in iron bore. Dale explain to the unknowing how the main beraing caps are held in place. :)

18. Okay Gang . . . Ron has solved the really hard challenge - the second one . . . but what is the BIG difference between this block and the rest of the early 21 stud engines . . . other than a few early 33's? When you look at the front of this block - how do you suspect it is a 32?

PS: I'll get to Ron's point about the main bearing caps . . . that one is just plain damn weird!

19. WAG,,,,motor mount bolt holes

20. Nope - all flathead blocks have those up until 1953. This makes it really easy to use a later flathead block in a 1932 frame - using the original style front-mounts.

21. Another Clue: This should give it away . . . go look at any other flathead block in the front (other than a rare early 33'). What is different in these red circled ares . . .

BlockFront edited.jpg

22. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

The block is solid in front theres no indentation between the 7/16 motor mount bolt holes and the 3/8 water outlet holes wow I missed that one. Now I gotta go look at some of my blocks for that detail. Dale is that area solid or is there a water jacket located behind?

23. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

24. Now that seems reasonable - you did answer a lot of them, "But Wait - There is More!". PM me with your address, when I pull the rods apart - will send you a crusty old 32 STD bore piston! :)

25. Mart

Mart

Enjoying the thread, I knew all that stuff, but consider myself too old to qualify. I will ask a question, though. What are the valve guides like? How about the studs for the mains? (wink wink).

Mart.

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

This was a GREAT thread. I've never had a '32 engine that I kept...

(had one in a 'gifted' '32 sedan from a friend's grandfather in Gilroy, CA; out came the '32 V8 and in went the 59-AB Merc! That '32 V8 sat outside the garage at Grandma's until 1965!)

27. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Thanks for all the education guys! Great read

28. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

PM sent, I think.

Instead of Private Message they are now called conversations?