Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead 90degree 1to1 gear box?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xderelict, Sep 1, 2008.

1. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I've a friend who is looking for a 90 degree 1to1 gear box application for the ford flathead.Anyone know of an industrial or agricultural application for something like that?

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Tell him to check out a PTO (power take off) unit for the N series Ford tractors (9N,2N, 8N). These were used to power auxillary belt driven accessories like buzz saws.

Frank

3. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I know this isn't a bike board but the drive we are interested in would be similiar to this motorcycle.How would the power be transferred the 90 degrees from the motor?
    [​IMG]

4. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

I am interested in this too. Hope somebody can help.

5. a normal car differential is 90 degrees....maybe you could adapt something. if you used a rear end with 2:1 gears and locked one side , you would have your 1:1

for a new gearbox , try these guys:

http://www.vonruden.com/gearboxes/gearboxes.html

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Graingers/Boston Gear have lots of right angle drive equip. though most are very heavy and not designed for very high rpm, if that is you're intention.

7. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

That bike uses the stock V8-60 transmission case and has a custom 90 degree gear made to exit the case on the left side to attach a sprocket. The guy that builds those bikes for "them", also has built one with a Lincoln Zephyr V-12 on it with the same gear box modification. Single speed only, no gear changes,but it does use the hand clutch.

8. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Google up "Boss Hoss" there ought to be some thing there that could be made workable. You can expect some machine work to be required.

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A cutdown/offset diff or if you want a couple of gears, a cut down transaxle. Drive the sprocket off the axle/cv flange.

Attached Files:

10. tjm73

tjm73

I'd love to hear your logic on this because it makes no sense to me. If the pinion turns twice to make the axle turn once, how can locking one axle make the other axle turn half as much? Just doesn't sound mechanically feasable.

11. studedudeus

studedudeus

He's talking about the side gears and spider gears doing the work of making up for the gear ratio. Remember the differential allows one wheel to go faster than the other when you go around turns. IF one wheel is stopped, the other gives you half the ring and pinion ratio, or conversly twice the speed.

However, as a rule, side and spider gears are not meant for that kind of constant abuse. The bearing surfaces just can't handle it. You'd be better off, and the system would be less complicated if you just eliiminated the differential function and used ring and pinion only, as in a spool.

All that said, Ohio Gear and several other companies make 90* gearboxes for industrial applications, and probably have something that would handle the horsepower available from a V8-60. These are generally for stationery applications, and don't use pressure oiling, which could be a problem, depending on what this discussion is for. They are usually Worm and gear type drive systems. But 200 hp is not unheard-of in an industrial setting.

12. R Pope

R Pope

If its for a bike it could be rated for half the engine output, the rating is assuming continuous duty. A bike will never put the torque available on the gears, the tire will fry first. There are lots of boxes available for farm machinery that'll work, try a combine wrecker first. PTO drives off pull combines use a 90 degree setup.

13. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

I put a rover 260 v8 in a bike a la boss hog style ,drove through a normal clutch with a power booster assist clutch fork .flange to flange into an early model datsun 1600 diff centre with welded up spider gears .3 to 1 final drive as per the reqd specs ,done with same size drive sprockets .top speed 120.

14. panic

panic

But 200 hp is not unheard-of in an industrial setting.

...those are the only that weight 200 lbs. and cost a few thou...

The only reason why automotive differentials are cheap is that they made a hundred million, there are no bugs to work out, all the R&D and tooling were paid for long ago.
    Industrial = low volume, low demand = high price.

Easiest method: multiple chain drive - that's how they made side-winder dragsters.

15. R Pope

R Pope

How about the final drive off a Honda Gold Wing? They have more power than a flathead! Not 1:1, but you can't have everything in this life.

16. Use a 90 degree V drive for a boat.

17. That would have been my suggestion, though I believe the poster wants chain drive to the rear wheel.

FWIW, I understand that those flattie powered bikes are show only and cannot exceed around 45 mph due to gearing. Hope I'm wrong, but I've seen them around here, static display only.

Cosmo

18. How about a wood chipper??