Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects FlatCab: 1932 Cabriolet, Hot 1941/42 Merc Flathead Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bored&Stroked, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Well - had to name it something . . . since I'm part of the 'FlatCad' Race Team, thought that this name might work. 'FlatCab' - I like it :cool:

I'm building a 1941 Keystone Merc flathead to go into a prewar style 1932 Cabriolet - my first true 'barn find' in all my years of looking. I'll tell you all that story soon . . . just not today.

The cool thing about the 32 is that it is a total time-piece . . . was built in the 40's as a common man's hotrod, has 16" bent-spoke accessory wire wheels, but everything else is stock except for an early 59A flathead. You can tell it was last ran during WWII as it has old tires that are all worn down to the cords - you couldn't get tires during the war due to rubber shortages.

So - what to build for an engine? Why not build a flathead like they did for the dry lakes right before the war - now that sounds like fun. A guy on the HAMB had a WWII flathead that was still in the crate and was STD bore, no ridge -- looked like it was broke in and that was it. We worked out a deal, the block was checked out and crated/sent to me.

I've always wanted a 41/42 'Keystone' Merc block - they are very hard to come by and I've never seen a good one for sale in all my years of looking at flatheads. These 'keystone' blocks are pre 59x series, 239 cubes, 3 3/16 bore from the factory (100 hp) -- some claim they're the best bock to build (who knows why).

Here are the plans . . . 'yes', I'm going to 'cheat' a little bit, as I like cubic inches: :rolleyes:

1) 1942 Keystone Merc block
    2) Bore to 3 5/16 inches
    3) 49-53 Merc crank, 4 1/8 stroke (offset ground)
    4) Early 39-42 style full-floater rods - '21A'
    5) Ross pistons - with a little 'customization' that I want
    6) Original Eddie Meyer pre-war heads -- had them squirreled away for years.
    7) Original Eddie Meyer dual carb 'Art Deco' manifold
    8) Dual Stromberg 48's
    9) Cubic Inches - 284
    10) Ignition: Going to convert a Lincoln V-12 distributor. If that doesn't work out (never ran one), then I'll go early Scintilla magneto and an angle drive. (They existed pre-war).
    11) Cam: Pondering this one
    12) Valves: 1.7" intake, 1.6" exhaust, heavy 'street port', fully relieved transfer area
    13) Compression: Going to run as much compression as I can get - really tight quench area to make up for the relief.
    14) Flywheel: Aluminum

Here is the 32 - not in the original garage, I'll post that stuff later.

photo.JPG

Block with dirty Eddie stuff on it:

1942Engine-For32Cabriolet copy.jpg

I started in on the block today - used my sonic tester to see how thick the port walls were - plenty of meat in them. I have the first intake port about 3/4 done. Looks like I'll have 40 - 50 hours of porting into this beast. Crappy job, but somebody needs to do it! I'm not doing a full competition port/relief job as if it was going to Bonneville - this is a hot street engine, so no reason to go ape shit. :eek:

BlockStock2 copy.jpg

FirstIntakeRough.jpg

The engine would run better with 3 - 4 carbs, but they didn't have those manifolds before the war, so I'm sticking with two 48's, as they were around. This will impact horsepower a bit, but what the hell . . . it would run with anything that was around before 42!

I'll keep a full posting of everything I do, the parts, the work, the good days, the bad . . . so stay tuned.

Hopefully if anybody else is building an early style 24 stud flatty, this project and my endless babble might be of use.

B&S

2. great project, cant wait for more updates.
    Al.

3. brady1929

brady1929

Awesome hot rod

4. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Nice. I want to see more pictures.

5. Nice will be watching.

6. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Cool!
    I just found two perfect raised deck keystone 59ab blocks
    And also think i need to build something early style

7. Great to see you back on a nasty FH Dale....subscribed brother. Funny as Im contemplating a hop up job on my 37 engine in my pre WWII roadster.

Great minds ;)

Rat

8. Do they have the raised intake manifold profile (like the block in the picture) and a 59 on the bell housing? I've never seen a 59x series with the keystone passages and the raised intake. But - Henry made all sorts of goofy shit in all sorts of places . . . nothing surprises me!

Send me some pictures if you have them!

B&S

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Yeah - the FlatCad has been one heck of a fun and successful project and the whole team effort is really something (and we're just getting started!). We're not slowing down one bit - hoping to make El Mirage in early summer and then back to Bonneville. If the thing holds together, we really want to go 200 in a coupe.

I needed something like this 32 to "show up" and cause me to get my ass in gear on other things. My goal is to have it running this summer - leaving it as close as possible to how I found it.

Making a couple upgrades for safety and driving purposes. Brian Bass made up a set of 39-41 backing plates with his cool Bendix/Lincoln conversion hidden on the inside. This will give me good 2" Bendix brakes all around. Also am changing the 32 steering (which I think sucks!) to a special 37 Hudson conversion that a guy in CA does. It is a complete drop-in unit and even uses the original stock wiring bulb. Have to increase the frame opening hole just a bit - but it is a really nice setup and a MUCH better steering system.

I'll post pistures when I have time.

Take care and get you arse over her and visit us Yankees sometime! OR - maybe I'll make a trip to OZ and come your way. :eek:

B&S

rat bastad likes this.
  10. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I be's diggin' me some Flatcab. Wayno

11. Really cool Dale you know I'll be watch'in this one!!!!...........

12. Very cool Dale! Love your idea, can't wait to see it unfold.

13. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hi Dale,
    I called them 59ab, but they are not......
    Raised deck keystone .....merc blocks

14. Whew - thought you threw me for a new one. My knowledge is 'safe' for the moment . . . but it may not last longer than that! Thanks for checking them out. Nothing wrong with 59AB blocks - by far the most available pre-49.

Good luck and let us know what you'll be building.

B&S

15. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I DO have two merc blocks.....raised deck and keystone

I just "miscalled" them.....

So whats your plan for camshaft and ignition

16. You are a fortunate man - they are hard to find. Are yours Merc or military and are they relieved from the factory? Send a picture of the deck if you will.

Cam-> Pondering a few things, might go with a steel Potvin 425 . . . or a Potvin Climax 400

Ignition --> First going to convert a Lincoln V12 . . . all the fancy crap they used to do before you could buy ignitions (converted or new) 'off the shelf'.

Of

Scintilla (Vertex) Magneto with an angle drive. These were around in the 30's as well.

I'll probably build both ignitions - if the Lincoln doesn't perform well at higher RPM, will switch to the Vertex . . . I'm sure I'll try both and see how well they both run. Might just go on the dyno to see.

B&S

17. Very cool Dale! Take lots of pictures puleeze!

18. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

They are releived, but i dont know if merc or military

19. Interesting Information on Early 24 Stud Blocks: I talked to 'Pete1' - who is one of the most knowledgeable flathead Ford guys alive. Of course, at 80+ years of age, you might say he has built and raced a few . . . and he's still doing it. He is as sharp as anybody you'll meet.

Anyway we were discussing the early blocks (pre 59x) series - he said the castings are not as thick as the later 59x series (in the ports area) and that they do tend to crack between the valves and bore more easily. He recommended to NOT use them for full-out competition use - stick with the later engines. Good to know - but I've already ported one port and I'm on a mission. :rolleyes:

Note: By '59x' - I mean all the post-war 59 series blocks. 59, 59AB, 59L, 59Z, etc..

I told him while I have plenty of 59x blocks, I'm building this engine with a pre-war mindset and it will be a very hot flathead, but not totally extreme. I'm using a Sonic tester to measure the port wall thickness as I port - so I don't believe I'll get into trouble.

Just wanted to relay that information to the group here - as I trust what Pete says and his experience is very valuable to have.

So there you have it . . . I'm just going to be a little more 'sheepish' with the ole' porting tool. If the block happens to crack later on - so be it, I'll just build another!

B&S

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  20. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Good information!

21. [QUOTE Brian Bass made up a set of 39-41 backing plates with his cool Bendix/Lincoln conversion hidden on the inside. This will give me good 2" Bendix brakes all around. Also am changing the 32 steering (which I think sucks!) to a special 37 Hudson conversion that a guy in CA does. It is a complete drop-in unit and even uses the original stock wiring bulb. Have to increase the frame opening hole just a bit - but it is a really nice setup and a MUCH better steering system.

I'll post pistures when I have time.

Take care and get you arse over her and visit us Yankees sometime! OR - maybe I'll make a trip to OZ and come your way. :eek:

B&S[/QUOTE]

Plan is for Bonneville this year....If I make it Ill def want to catch up mate. Keep the pics coming and Id love to know about those brakes Dale !

22. Good info on the blocks. Thanks!

23. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Dale
    What is a Potvin Climax cam?
    Thanks
    Jim

24. Potvin made three very great cams - two of which many know about:

Potvin 3/8 - .375 Lift
    Potvin Climax 400: .400 Lift
    Potvin 425 Eliminator: .425 Lift

The 3/8 is a fantastic cam for a medium cube motor and one of my favorites - just a really nice bad-ass sounding cam. For a 265 - 275 cube motor with a couple carbs, good porting, good headers, etc - you'll love it. Plus, it really sounds like a flathead should! (No mufflers . . . please!)

The 425 is a legendary cam - one of the best there is for larger cube motors, big ports, 3 carbs, etc.. Most of them were ground on 32 steel billet cores. Though I had one that was a cast core with welded lobes. This is a fantastic cam for full-out race style motors, big cubes, 3+ carbs and higher RPM.

The Climax 400 is in the middle - and I've never ran it. But, as the engine I'm building is kind of a 'tweener', might try it. I need to see if I can get one made for me.

Here are the specs out of a recent publication - have not attempted to verify them:

ThreeEights.jpg

Climax400.jpg

425Eliminator.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Climax......
    Hmmmmm 284 degrees......
    A lot of sound :)

26. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Finally back on the Flathead Ford:) Very cool project there Dale:)
    I will be watching and learning:)
    I know the "404" came later, but the core is from the early day's:)?

Oh, We'll soon have some updates on the Sidewinder too...

K

Taildragger&fenderless

27. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hi dale,
    Here is a bad pic of the block.....

Attached Files:

28. Looks like the beast! Pete and I were talking about you just the other night - related to a very special camshaft you're pondering :rolleyes: . I'm working on it . . .

29. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Yeah, please help me to get one!
    I need help
    Hahaha

I have a second block, too its just even more burried....

I ordered a sonic tester and will what i come up with