Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects First attempt AV8 29 roadster! many questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by orangeamcs, Jun 11, 2014.

1. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Worked on crossmember this past weekend. Set motor level w top of frame rails. Ended up sectioning crossmember and leaving pedals in location set by stock f1 crossmember. Everything seams to clear ok but will have to heat and bend pedals a little bit

2. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

A few pics. Have to figure out clutch linkage and column soon. Maybe this weekend I'll start in that after we finish up crossmember.

Attached Files:

3. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Also found another parts car...talk about rough. Lol its part of a car not a parts car I guess. Hopefully I can get it for scrap price

Attached Files:

4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Use a 42-48 Mercury wishbone cup! The Merc has a neat cup relocator which gets bolted in place.

5. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Would a 42-48 ford wishbone mount be the same as the merc?

6. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

A Merc has a longer frame just for looks. The front sheet metal is longer. So the frame has a couple of neat tricks built in. Up front are a pair of neat motor mount relocators which are worth grabbing.
    Due to the lengthened frame on the Merc, the wishbone doesn't reach the stock cup in the X member. So Ford designed a neat piece that bolts into the stock cup and provides another cup about 4" further forward. It's a pressing. Most vintage junkyards will have one. RPM Motors should have one in stock.
    Ed

7. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Little more progress on trans crossmember

Attached Files:

8. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Still needs to be cleaned up some and will finish the other side next sunday. Then it's time to make clutch linkage and pedals work and steering clear everything. Then it's onto the wishbone mount and lengthening

9. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Still have some filling and grinding to do on this as well as make the wishbone mount but it turning out well I think. Will add some more speed holes after wishbone mount is done also.

Can't rivet it into frame yet because it is not my frame. The friend of mine helping me owns it and doesn't like the frame I bought and wants me to find a nicer one. Plan is to do all the build pieces then find a nicer frame than my other one bolt it all back together again w ends of all rivet able parts painted. Then pull bolts and rivet each hole one at a time then repaint entire frame. I think it'll be a lot of work but worth it in the end.

Attached Files:

FlatJan likes this.
  10. Nice work on the cross member.

11. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

worked on wishbone mount this past weekend but didn't get any pictures. Did it a little different then what I have seen from other members but I think/hope it works well

12. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Basically done with the crossmember. Now on to stretching the wishbone. Anyone have any good tips for keeping the alignment while heating it to bring it in? I don't want to get any twist or funky stuff going on while I pull it in on each side.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    glorydime likes this.
  13. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Finally got into my wishbone stretching. Spent a lot of time measuring and waiting for material. Ended up matching the tapers in the 33 and a bone almost perfect. Waiting for a new axle that is straight to do my final alignment before its plug weled and seam welded the rest of the way. Had to put it under car to see what I had looks wise. Will post pics tomorrow

14. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

The 3 pieces

Attached Files:

15. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Fitting the slugs. Took some time on the anvil w some muscle. Took turns with robbie who owns the shop hammering

Attached Files:

16. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

.125 wall tubing turned oval

Attached Files:

17. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Holds for plug welds

Attached Files:

18. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Keeping it aligned for first plug welds

Attached Files:

19. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Under car to see how it looks. Waiting on straight axle so we can align everything before the final welding occurs

Attached Files:

20. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Was much easier than I thought it would be just alot of measuring and being kookoo. Used some Mississippi windage as robbie calls it when we pulled the wishbone yoke in w the torch but it lines up well so far

21. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

haha! your project is just like mine. i had many of the same questions, so i thank you. luckily we have the hamb for answers. make your carb level with motor mounts like you said, and `fit` the crossmember to the trans mount. height can be adjusted with thicker or thinner mounts

22. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Glad to know some of this may have helped you out. I officially feel like I've given back now. I didn't go into alot of detail on what I've done but if anyone has a question about it I'll try to explain what I found and my reasons for doing what I did. Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes that are not easily fixable so far

23. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

right, me too. i will be nervous and have no fingernails left until the drivetrain is bolted together AND not interfering with the body, steering, etc.

24. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good work and great attention to detail. I wish I had your attention to detail.

25. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

hey 63fairlane, your roadster has a great stance- looks like a dropped axle. can you elaborate on your suspension?

26. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an original Model A beam dropped 3" or so (done by Titus on the hamb) and a Posies 1002L (made for aftermarket axles - the 1001L is the correct spring for the Model A axle - long story) with the top two leaves removed. Out back is 9" rear held in place by ladder bars and a T rear spring and the Tardel step up on the stock Model A frame. Here is a link to my build thread. I don't want to hijack this thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-roadster-project-learning-experience.864898/

27. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Busy ordering parts. What I have so far for a front end will be a 32-36 okie joe axle a set of roundback spindles w a 32 steering arm grafted on. Will go w a set of wilson brakes and either wide 5 drums or some 41 drums I got w the spindles. Have model a reverse eye spring built from a original.

I thjnk I'm on the right track here but I'm trying to figure out what spring perches to use. Trying not to use any street rod parts. Do I use a set of model a perches and smooth the top or leave them alone? Also I think i have front shocks figured our will make tabs on wishbone and use f1 upper mounts unless I can find a nicer way. Have thought about friction shocks or some mg shocks also....anyone car to give me some input?

28. 5280A2

5280A2

I like the Model A perches, especially if you want to use lever shocks. You can leave the original shock mount ball in place for connecting to your friction or hydraulic lever shocks.
    IMG_1022 (2).JPG

29. A Rodder

A Rodder

MATT!
    I never got your screen name either!
    It's been a few weeks since your last update....is it a driver yet?
    Nice work dude!