Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects First time build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ericjustus, Nov 20, 2015.

1. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Im guessing you from ontario Ca i live about 30 miles .from you just bought my dads 28 coupe on 32 rails and just bought the neighbors 56 oval window ..

2. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

You are correct, looks like you are just up the hill a bit from me. I where the 60/15 meets. Our cars are similar in years with my 30 on 32 rails and my 55 oval.

3. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Repops or not, you made the right choice, IMHO. Can' wait to see what you do in the next three months. At this rate, you can change eras four times a year. Another opinion, but I think E & J's look best mounted on a fireplace mantel. Same holds true for those things that resemble chromed vaginas. Both are UGLY, ugly !

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  4. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the way the second and third header pipes make a little bend before reaching the collector. Very traditionally built, traditional ride.

ericjustus likes this.
  5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You're talking about Woodlites. And, I agree.

6. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

ITS -NET - LOOKING- have fun :D:D:p:p :cool::cool:

7. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

Will run it for 100 miles or so then tackle the heads, new filter/lines, year appropriate wire install/clean up and fit the original cowl band and lacing kit. Picking up real parts along the way as well

Attached Files:

Runnin shine likes this.
  8. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

It's been a slow pace of late putting the pieces together

Attached Files:

Runnin shine and Retroline like this.
  9. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Hey Eric,We met at jons while you were buying this body.Nice job On finishing it out.Those heads look good!

10. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

11. Looking good Eric..

12. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

Anyone...

Attached Files:

13. zgears

zgears

Trust me you don't want an original seat. I had one and it was way too fat and tall, 10(?) inches of sloppy soft springs means there's no room in the cab of the car. I built a low profile seat and couldn't be happier with it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hotrodmyk and mkebaird like this.
  14. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

Looks damn good! You can come over any time and show me how ;)

15. So, are you saving your knowledge for tech week or something!? Would be very interested in how you did it. I can sort of tell what you did, but even a material list would be awesome!!!

16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

The real travesty is NOW I have that HORRIBLE image seared in my brain image.jpg

17. zgears

zgears

It's just a birch ply board with cut outs for the upholstery straps, 2" foam for the bac k 3" foam for the bottom. Rest of the wood is stock.

18. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

Removing the old heads was a major bitch and when I finished plumbing the relocated oil filter, I ran into electrical gremlins. Thought I would make LARS but it's looking dim now. I hate electrical and am very slow at it

Attached Files:

19. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

20. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

Any ailments to flatheads and overheating

21. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

New bob drake pumps, water wetter mixed with the coolant, ran fine before with the stock set up. Dual carbs seem to have been the start to problems. Aluminum radiator worked just fine before as well. But sitting at idle now, it's up to 220 in ten minutes.

Attached Files:

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

How much ignition timing are you running? And did you put thermostats in the water necks on the heads?

23. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

The timing was set when I sent the distributor to Bubba's ignition to be rebuilt and install a pertronix. Idk exactly what it's set at and I haven't gotten an email back from them with that answer yet. There are not any thermostats in the heads. This engine ran a cool 180-190 prior to me installing the Thickstun and dual strombergs whereas it had a single intake with one 97.

24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Check the plugs. If it is lean it will make heat, as will too much advance. Thermostats or restrictors would help too. No engine needs two water pumps.,

25. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

The timing was set for a stock set up...lesson learned. I was able to meet someone that knows his shit and lives close by. Timing was way off and was causing the overheating. Vacuum brake was what was making it hard to drive. Found out the switch in my '47 column drop was causing my electrical problems with the car shutting on and off. I replaced the bakelite piece on the back but it still occurred so for now I just re-routed the wiring to a simple switch. I started to replaced plastic coated wires with cloth braided as well. As normal, it is a never ending project but the driving aspect of it is starting to come back around rather than the large paper weight!

Attached Files:

26. Have fun with it Eric...

27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Glad ya got the timing sorted. Flatty fords have some wierd stuff going on distributor wise.

28. F&J

F&J

I have the same column drop and switch in a 32. I think the switch design is flawed, because if you look at the wear pattern on the bakelite and contacts...the switch contactor simply does not quite move far enough to sit completely on the "on" contact.

My opinion is they worked ok if there were not a lot of things added to the circuit to cause more electrical loads??

I did not see a way to make it move more..except a little grinding of the drop so that drive pin that moves the contacts, can move a bit more? That pin hits in a certain spot to act as a stop.

Mine works fine with it only running the dist coil.

My plan for "keyed" power for other things, I will run a Bosch relay off that Ford switch so there is very little added loads from the signals, heater, etc..

29. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

I also made up my new seat

Attached Files:

Jeff34 likes this.
  30. Roger53

Roger53

Very nice ! Roger