Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Firestone Ribbed Track Tires: Tubes or Tubeless?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dennis Lacy, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

Getting ready to order a set of tires for my project. Have never used the Firestone front ribbed track tires before. Quite surprised to see that in Coker's catalog that they note the tires are "tubeless."

Is this correct? Are you using tubes in yours or running tubeless on vintage wheels? If you're running tubes, what size? I will be using the 5.00-18 version on my original '32 wires. Any insight before I order will be greatly appreciated!

:cool:

2. The guy on the phone will tell you to run tubes on wire wheels.
    I did

3. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

Good to know. Thanks!

4. I just bought some 17's and am running tubes on wire wheels.

5. thequietwon

thequietwon

No tubes for me...5.00 18's & 7.00 18's on 32 wires. Some may not know that the wires on 32 wires are welded to the rim and don't protrude into the tire seal area. I've been told by several Coker sales guys that all of their Firestone bias tires are actually built to be tubeless even though they are based on original molds...I haven't run tubes on any of them for years, and know several that do the same.
    Sam

6. Tube and tubeless rims don't have the same rim profile; tubeless rims have an additional 'bead' inboard from the outer lip to help retain the tire bead and improve the seal. Not saying you can't run a tubeless tire on these rims, but you can have a sudden total loss of air pressure if the tire bead 'breaks' loose. If run flat, the tire can come off the rim much easier too.

7. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

/\/\/\/\ TIMES TWO! i think the wheel rim with the additional raised ring adjacent to the tire bead is referred to as "JJ" rim. they didn`t put that raised ring it in there to make it look pretty, it`s important when you`re running tube less tires.
    tom

8. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

Thanks for the additional insight. I will be getting a pair of tubes. Much rather be safe than sorry.