Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical fill spot ford 9" ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailheadjay, Apr 16, 2015.

1. nailheadjay

nailheadjay

my 26 roadster has a 36 spline ford 9" rear end... how the hell do you fill it with oil??? there is absolutely no plug except on the bottom??? its all ex[posed and im out of ideas... thanks guys

2. Dizzie

Dizzie

I had to fill mine through the vent. Slow process but it works.

3. Pull an Axle, tip the car up on that side and pour it through the bearing hole.
    The Wizzard

loudbang likes this.
  4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Some came with a plug in the back. Some came with the plug on the carrier housing. If you end up with the wrong housing s put together, you end up with no fill plug.

5. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Set up a hose on the bottle and tie wrap it above the rear and let it seep into the vent hole overnight.

6. deadbeat

deadbeat

Im with The Wizzard on this,,pull an axle,easy as,,

loudbang likes this.
  7. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

this one time, in band camp.....

8. Only takes a short bit to add a bung to fill it.

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yup. Have seen the opposite too, two fill plugs.....

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Friend had a similar problem with his 9" in his 32, smooth back with no filler plug on back but a drain hole in bottom, pumpkin had no filler hole tapped into side. Easy to drain though. Out came an axle to fill it.

11. turn your car over...or...3x..pull an axle.....the vent takes too long..

12. gdub

gdub

Pulled an axle on the 9" in my F1. I had changed carriers and didn't realize there was no fill plug.

13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Filling it through the axle will be the fastest for sure as you can squeeze the bottle of thick (and smelly) gear oil and blast in there. Without removing the axle, mine has a carrier with a plug in the left side, removable with a 3/8 ratchet extension if memory serves me correctly. I used one of those metal flexible funnels, so that the spout was in the carrier and the top was level and propped it up under the car, filled it with oil, and went inside to watch TV. That thick gear oil flows slow, so I did this process a number of times and eventually it was full.

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

My Ford 8" has two fill holes and no drain hole. Go figure....

15. squirrel

squirrel

This is what I would do...

Too bad i forgot to add a rear fill bung on mine when I had the rear apart last fall. It would be easier to fill when I swap gears.

16. A lot of 9" Fords have no drain and a fill on the side of the chuck. You fill it until the gear oil comes out of the fill hole. I have had a bunch that didn't have a drain originally and all of them have had a fill hole on the side of the chuck.

it should be on the ring side.

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I have a '63 housing with a '67 pumpkin, so each year has their own fill hole design, but who in their right mind designs a differential housing without any drain plug? It's just as bad, if not worse, than an automatic trans without a drain plug, or an oil filter located to drip all over the place on removal.

verno30 and 57JoeFoMoPar like this.
  18. LOL I was going to say well that Ford for ya, but about everyone has dropped the ball on an auto trans as some point.

I don't know how true it is but it sounds true, anyway someone once told me that Ford make changes from one year to the next to discourage parts swapping. Whatever the reason Ford does have a habit of changing things up from one year to the next.

69fury likes this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

Most likely these things are driven by cost. Drain plugs cost money, and they're not really necessary. They're nice to have if you work on your car yourself. Not having one increases the labor charge if the shop is working on it. Win-win for the car maker to leave off the drain plug.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    prewarcars4me likes this.
  20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Some times the specs for oil fill up state to fill to a certain amount [like 1/2"] below fill hole...Just saying, might matter in some situations, maybe not...

21. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Last time I came up with no fill plug on a 9" Ford, I eyeballed about where one should be, drilled a 1/2" hole in the housing in a flat spot, and used a self-tapping oil pan plug. Worked great, no drips. Just be sure not to over fill it if the hole is too high. Put the hole too low and you will never get it full.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Except when its around zero degrees and you are outside on the driveway, even heated the 90 wt got thick and slow to flow real quick.

23. 69fury

69fury

Remember- engineers design cars to be manufactured to a cost point- the cost point of service doesn't factor in nearly as much.-rick

24. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I was working the lube rack at my local Ford dealer right out of high school. A Ford transmission engineer was in town once for cold weather testing and I asked him why there were no drain plugs in auto transmission pans and was told that it was to encourage the mechanic to change the screen and clean the pan. If there was a plug, most guys would just drain the oil and put in new. If you have to pull the pan to empty it, the screen is right there in your face, so why not change it too.
    You can quickly fill the differential through the vent hole by using a gear oil pump made for outboards and outdrives. They cost about 10 bucks and are readily available. You need to know how much to put in there though.

25. Pretty much everybody LOL. Ford dropped the axle drain in '59, by the mid '60s you'd be hard-pressed to find a separate drain in any rear axle from any US manufacturer except maybe 3/4T trucks or larger. Same thing was true for manual transmissions; drains hung around a bit longer, but even these had pretty much disappeared by the early 70s. Lubrication technology had advanced to where these were considered 'lifetime lubricated', never needing a fluid change, so why do you need a drain?

26. LOL the wife owns a late model truck and the deal was when we bought it was that I would not work on it. So we had it to the dealer for a scheduled transmission oil change while it was still under warrantee. The wife and the service manager were standing there having coffee and a sweet roll when he "mechanic" walks up and says, "ma'am, did you want me to change the filter screen while I am changing the oil" She looked at the service manager and rolled her eyes, who in turn says, "You should probably do the right thing, it is written in the service manual." When it was time to pick the truck up the service manager grabbed the paperwork and wrote paid across it, then informed the "mechanic" that he just paid for a oil and filter change in the wife's truck. I hate to say this but sometimes "factory certified" mechanics are just not really bright.

I have discovered that sometimes trucks are easier to maintain, more often then not trucks will have all the proper drain and fill holes when cars do not.

27. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

By that logic and reasoning, it would be rare to be able to buy gear oil anywhere.

28. Well, axles/transmissions have been known to leak a bit on occasion... And there's still big trucks, tractors/yard/farm equipment, and motorcycles where fluid changes are recommended.

Go into your average parts house and see how much gear oil they stock... I know the local ones here might have 10-12 quarts on the shelf at any given store (all weights, all brands) compared to a 100 gallons of motor oil so it's not a big seller. When I still worked on cars for a living in the late '60s/early 70s, a 20 gallon barrel of gear lube for the bulk dispenser would last roughly a year, we'd go through that much motor oil in a week.... And using the syphon pump to change gear oil never got all the old oil out, at best you got maybe half of it.

29. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Tell me about it. Working in a dealership body shop, we often had Mechanics drop down to our area to perform mechanical aspects of a repair job.
    Once a guy came down with 2 wheels and tires he had just mounted and put them on a vehicle I was repairing the side on. He solidly zapped all the lug nuts with an air gun (no torque rod) and then picked up a click torque wrench to "torque" the lugs. They all clicked with no additional movement. Surprise, surprise!!!
    I told him he was doing it all wrong but he said that was how he was "trained" to do it (VERY doubtful I'm sure!) and I should stick to bodywork. LoL

After he went back up to the mechanics area I used a long johnson bar to crack the lugs loose again and retorqued them to the correct value. No doubt everything had been really stressed but not much I could do only reset it and hope for the best.
    I can only imagine the cursing that was done on him when a customer got a flat and twisted a lug wrench on the side of the road somewhere.
    Professionals.....sigh. LoL

30. stimpy

stimpy

some of the new ford transes are what they call sealed , you have to have a special tool to fill them as there is no dipstick to fill or check them , thank goodness they are on the O/T 90's drivelines