Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods fast Nomad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOECOOL, May 11, 2015.

1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

56 nomad.jpg Randy Klien is sort of a local midwestern racer, He has raced this Nomad for years and recently got it in the 10's. When you think about what it takes to get a 265 in a car that heavy to go that fast it is very impressive. I've talked to him about the car a couple of times and he seems like a nice guy.Congrats Randy.

1934coupe, Paul B, Malcolm and 8 others like this.
  2. He's running the 265 in it? that is unreal, I would like to spend a few hours talking to him myself. That Nomad has got to be a 3200 pound car minimum. :cool:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Looks great going fast as well.

olcurmdgeon and 40fordtudor like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Beautifast !!

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Not sure of the specs but its probably a .030 or .040 over, no fiberglass body parts allowed ,trans and rear are upgraded though. I can't remember how many years he has flogged this car,he has to have spent the equivilent of years underneath it .Ron Taylor is a friend of his and has a 57 150 two door post car he races. They will be a Topeka later this month,screw dem fuel cars ,this is what I go to see.

Model T1 and scotty t like this.
  6. There is just something more pure about a real car being raced as opposed to something that you really can't buy and play with.

He's not running it on squeeze, just gas, right?

40fordtudor likes this.
  7. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Yep ,pump gas ,they even have to have a petcock on the carb to give samples at tech after a run. If anyone is thinking about going to a big nationals type race, spend some time at the tear down ,tech area. You can learn so much just by observing and listening.
    There are cars and guys there that defy all sanity, the U/SA guys run things like 273, two barrel 65 Coronet wagons.Talk about beaten a dead horse. Talk to the guy with the Subaru powered altered, or the 258 six cyl AMC Pacer Wagon.These guys are smarter and more dedicated than I could ever be.And after working for three years to run the index they get thrown out because the cyl. head was 2 cc's too small, or their cam was .003 too much lift. Most of these guys are thrilled to have someone show any amount of interest in their rides. John Force makes a good show but if you want to see me ,I'll be with the real racers. Seeyall at Topeka.

302GMC likes this.
  8. belair

belair

What a fantastic car. And I agree about the racing and the racers.

9. So you commin by my place on the way? :D :D

10. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the Nomads.

11. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Well I could swing by not sure how many going with me yet. I only go on Fridays ,night qualifying is one reason. Crowds are another reason,my butt doesn't fit in the area they have marked out for reserved seats. If I spend the night there is always Baby Dolls after the races, there goes all my money ,and my wife.

Model T1 likes this.
  12. Model T1

Model T1

Baby Dolls? Sounds like a nice place to hang out!;)

Forgot to mention, love the Nomad.

13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Absolutely, these guys that run these are every bit as good at what they do as any of the guys running in any other class. I too love the Nomad, the 56 has always been my favorite year of the Nomads. ;):cool:

14. Going fast and looking very good doing it!

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's the coolest pic I've seen in a loooong time. Nice!

16. Check out the Stockers and Super Stockers at any NHRA or IHRA event. Rolling show of killer cars and combos. Mr. Kleins car and performance is truly exceptional. Congrats on your efforts and results.

17. Tony

Tony

Man no doubt!!
    There is some serious thought and execution to put a brick in the tens with a n/a 265!!
    Very impressive!
    Damn good looking nomad as well!

Tony

18. das858

das858

I have raced with Klein and Taylor since the early eighties, they are alot of fun, just getting to the track in the eighties was an adventure. They have been steadily working toward this milestone for 30 years.

19. jhaas63

jhaas63

Congrats Randy!

20. that is one good looking car!

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

22. Very classy, fast car!

23. Stocker and superstockers run specified race gas. That 265 is stroked .013" and bored per the rules. Heads are ported, but they run stock carburetion. I bet it has at least a 6.50 ring and pinion. Very cool car. It takes a huge amount of dedication to run these cars.

blasted likes this.
  24. nice.....and was that TFred posting again.....?

25. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Wow, my favorite year for nomads, painted in my favorite color combo and it hauls ass. Damn, I'm in love with it.

26. ....................................Good to see him back. I missed Candy.

27. As I have always said the little guy racing is where it is at, they use their common sense to race not a pile of money which can buy anything and make it go fast. Little Guy Racing YYYYAAAA!!!!!! Small cubic's and heavy car and it still goes Fast. As far as 56 Nomads they were the least factory built and every buddy's favorite. So would love to own one, my buddy had one in high school we cursed the wheel off that car.

28. earlymopar

earlymopar

1/8 mile or 1/4?

29. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

:rolleyes:Definatly 1/4 mile,or did NHRA change it again ? I can't keep up.

30. I've attended many NHRA events,as a spectator,and as a crew....... When I was younger,the pro's had my eye,and it was all great! BUT- If anyone want's to learn how to be quick,and fast, the stockers are the best! not really into Super Stock,just Stock..... Stringent rules, (but racing here=wink).....you'de be surprised at what's involved to compete=$. It's a blast,and the lowest guy's on the ladder are not full of themselves,just hot rodders like us.
    If your not a dick,they will share.....
    And as mentioned above- you'de have to experience teardown to really understand things....
    I could go on,but, 10's in that wagon with a 265=perseverance/dedication. Outright! If it was at a national event,the index for the class just changed,as well as HP to weight rating.......
    Congrats- sometimes we have to see what we can do!