Register now to get rid of these ads!

famous drag racers from ohio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earon1964, Apr 28, 2011.

1. farrigno

farrigno
    from mass

2. todski26

todski26

Pretty cool pics.

3. slowmotion

slowmotion

Here's a pic of Doc Dixon, mentioned earlier. It's these kind of reactions that made him a feared competitor, check the tree. :D This is the car that won the championship in I believe, '74.

pic by Bill Truby, barrowed from the PID site

[​IMG]

4. I knew Pete Orner and his partner,He did make his own "Orner Injection"and was very ahead of his time! Pete lives in California now and is a Medical Engineer......Wonder where that Altered is now? I have a picture of it,and will try to post it.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  5. alunsfo

alunsfo

Hello. I am Allen Lunsford. My older brothers Dallas and Paul ran Super Stock cars in the 60's and 70's. My older brother Harold ran at Kil Kare in the 2000's. I'd be interested to know who posted the pictures of Dallas running at Penses. You say you worked at Knollwood Shell. I worked there too from 1969 - 1972. Hope to hear from you.

Allen Lunsford

OLE442 likes this.
  6. Topstrap

Topstrap
    from East Ohio

[​IMG]

Didn't one of the boys in the Getzlaff family on Rt. 9 end up with that Rod Shop Hemi car? Thought someone mentioned it is in Florida now but still owned by one of them? Another old time local Ohio racer that is still running is P. J. Ballog from Provident and his 1967 Camaro, I think it's still a IHRA National Record holder. The Ross family from St. Clairsville is another family that races Chrysler and holds a National Record.

Remember these from here local also.

Coultraps Camaro

[​IMG]

Nick Masciarelli

[​IMG]

And who could forget local legend Bob Howell?

Guess you must be from Bellaire superiorslots? Lots of good time cruising the loop, then hanging at the park in Bellaire and Elbys at St. C. Still get to see a few of them at the shows and cruises occasionally. Sold an old Jegs 396 engine to a couple of brothers way back in the day and they were going to put it in a 33 Willys that was tucked back in the corner of a basement. Think they lived up above Shadyside on a farm.

Lots of old racers in our area.

Been looking for info on an old (early 60's) Impala/Bel Air/Biscayne from Powhatan that was parked in a field when you turned and headed up Captina Creek that had the name ZIPCODE painted on it. Think it was bright red but not sure.

Topstrap

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  7. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

[​IMG]

Tom Burger and Terry Kroeger from Canal Fulton, Ohio

8. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

9. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

[​IMG]

Don Ruble and George Blank (Akron Ohio)

10. jjflash67

jjflash67
    from Ohio

GELLNER JON "SAM" GELLNER, age 76. Beloved husband of Carol (nee Rzepkowski). Loving father of Dean (fiancée Peru Barber) and Deanna Bir (Neil). Cherished grand-father of Austin, Blaise and Danica Bir. Son of the late Michael and Julia. Dear brother of William and David and uncle to many. Sam was best known as a national record holding drag racing builder in the 1960's. He owned Speed Specialties in Cleveland, OH and was partners in Myles Gellner Engineering before going to work for the Mr. Gasket Co. as Vice President of New Product Development in 1969. In 1971 Sam and his wife Carol went back to the speed shop business and opened Gellner Engineering in 1971 in Parma, OH, where it currently runs under the leadership of Dean and continues in carrying on the family tradition. In 2008, Thompson Raceway hosted a "Gasser Legends" race meet and honored the Ohio Gasser Legends of which Sam was a member. He enjoyed fishing, hunting and gardening as well as restoring his 1961 Corvette. Funeral services will be at the funeral home Friday, August 9, 2013 at 10:00 A.M. Interment Sunset Memorial Park. In lieu of flowers, contributions suggested to the if ("</SCR");>"); charity of your choice . Friend received THURSDAY 2-4 AND 6-8 P.M. AT THE A. RIPEPI AND SONS FUNERAL HOME, 18149 BAGLEY ROAD, MIDDLEBURG HEIGHTS, OH (WEST OF I-71). -

11. agtw31

agtw31

i met Bruce Queen today

he ran NHRA Modified Production in a 68 camaro back in the 80's & 90's.

has the NHRA M/P record at Louisville track running 6.40's in the 1/8 with a 283

spun it to 12,000 rpm:eek:

12. Olds Simca

Olds Simca
    from Las Vegas

Through a series of timely and fortuitous events, Fred Simmonds, then Pontiac’s manager of focused marketing, was able to uncover Pontiac shipping manifests that ultimately provided Merle with the shocking news that his GTO was – when new – the record-setting Knafel Tin Indian Pontiac driven by Arlen Vanke. Raced out of Akron, Ohio, and running in both NHRA C/Stock and NASCAR BB/Stock, Arlen and his GTO recorded an amazing 27 victories during the 1966 season, including the NASCAR Winter Nationals Stock Eliminator (in Florida) and NHRA Spring Nationals Stock Eliminator (in Bristol, Tennessee). The GTO ran consistent mid- to high 12s; however, according to Arlen, its best was a 12.22. Off the track, the Pontiac appeared in numerous Quaker State “Beat The Champ” and Keystone Wheel ads. Needless to say, the second restoration was quickly redirected, culminating with a finish to its period equipment and livery with few exceptions.

Attached Files:

13. 231ramona

231ramona

I was told this car ran out of the Columbus area in the late 60s-early 70s. It was green at the time. Do any of you Ohio guys remember it from back then?

Attached Files:

14. Fighto

Fighto

Worked with Dick Vest on many cars, etc. Also knew Dallas Lundsford also -- Both of Beavercreek, Both owned the old Knollwood Shell Station and both Loved racing -- Dick ran "Sorry 'bout that" dragster, along with helping me with my SS Nova on the street. Dallas ran 67,68 Camero's -- Lots of fun in the old days!

OLE442 and Trichop like this.
  15. T-Rex

T-Rex
    from Ohio

Bob Reed from Marion,Ohio. By the way that's not Bob standing with the '65! A good friend of mine still races that '65.

Attached Files:

16. tmwracing

tmwracing
    from Ohio

So who is that standing by Bob's '65?

17. otis1965

otis1965
    from ohio

if i remember corectly dallas also ran a 1966 chevelle the red baron

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  18. Does anyone have a picture of either of these old Ohio drag race Corvettes

-Taggert Brothers
    -Boothby

Does anyone know if either of these cars was a red 1957 Fuel Injected Corvette similar to picture attached

Need Ohio owner(s) of 1957 Corvette red race car (i.e. vin # E57S101335) (i.e. picture attached) that was sold to Canadian person George Pascoe in 1978. CAR WAS REGISTERED IN OHIO IN BUTLER COUNTY (I.e.County #9) (i.e. Ohio Registration number in 1976 was . 09035078. Black seats. Car never had roll bar and is genuine original fuel injection car. Replacement 327 cu. in. engine. with exhaust headers and collectors. Car had “I” BEAM front suspension lift. Was a factory heater delete car. No radio or antenna in 1978. Large Morosso hood scoop. Americain Thrust Mag Wheels. Morosso Tach on drivers side dash. Probably drag raced at one of following drag strips (i) Beechmount or (ii) Hamilton Tri-State Dragway or (iii) Xenia Kil-Kare Dragstrip or (iv) Edgewater Raceway Park Drag Strip or (v) Rock Haven Drag Strip <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Originally from factory car was a red three speed fuel injected car.<o:p></o:p>
    Please contact with any information :<o:p></o:p>
    Tom Spence or Bill Keogh<o:p></o:p>
    E mail: [email protected] <o:p></o:p>
    [email protected] <o:p></o:p>
    Tel : 905-8928420 or 905-8712341<o:p></o:p>
    Ontario, Canada

Attached Files:

19. mopacltd

mopacltd

I ain't famous, but I was born in Ohio.

20. Wheeler

Wheeler
    from California

A few pics from last month.

. SDC14411.JPG SDC14409.JPG SDC14408.JPG SDC14407.JPG SDC14403.JPG SDC14401.JPG

21. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Ohio sure had more then their share of famous drag racers over the years.

Who Knew I thought Ohio George Montgomery was the man for years.

Jimbo

22. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

23. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Allen,I just seen your post.That was me that posted the pic of Dallas at Pence.I worked for him @ the Shell Station in 1971/72.I had a black Camaro.I think a friend of mine bought a 64 Impala from you.Send me a pm & we'll talk more. Giz'

24. tbenvie

tbenvie

GOATROPER02 likes this.
  25. nasty_rumor

nasty_rumor

26. Ross Barth

Ross Barth

The Ohio Gassers should include the Schwartz Bros Glen & Gene. Both are "Great" musicians as well as
    drag racers. They were E Gas national record holders for years in the 60's. And won Nationals at least one year.
    Gene still runs a perfect re creation 52 chev. E gasser @ 10.29 & 130 mph !!
    Others of note Otie Smith, Mickey Hart, and Toil Bros. Saw all at Thompson & Dragway 42 in the year !!

27. Ron Stevens

Ron Stevens

I just found this site, wish I had found it sooner. We are from the Cleveland area, raced at all the local tracks there, Quaker City, 42, Thompson, National Trail, Kil Kare, and a lot that are long gone, Pences Drag strip & turkey farm, Hyde Park. I knew most and a lot of the early guys around the cleveland area. I wish I had more pictures, thats how I found this site. I hope guys still post to it. This is my car against Mussy & Schoal at Nat'l Trail

Attached Files:

• car4.jpg
      car4.jpg
      File size:
      210.3 KB
      Views:
  28. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

I remember...Dallas.....I worked at "Dave Reid's Garage"

OLE442 likes this.
  29. Top Shelf