Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fading Thunder...Abandoned Racetracks in Virginia and the Carolinas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Aerial views of either the old Cat Tail Speedway or Brown's, Antioch Church Road, Selma, NC. There is some question about which track this one was. Active into the '50s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Labor Day traditionally was reserved for a race at the old Darlington Raceway. NASCAR no longer sees fit to do that, but from 1950-2004, that's where the tour stopped on this weekend.
    The Southern 500 it was called.

While the track is still there, it has undergone a substantial reworking, especially in recent years.

Here's a neat little clip about the old track, the old configuration and the history behind the historic speedway. Not abandoned, but may as well be if you're looking for the old place. Gone with the wind....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez5Yud4eiWI

3. A pic from the very first Southern 500. You can see the long-gone "old configuration" here.

[​IMG]

What you can't see is that the Start/Finish line is now part of the backstretch. And the track had pits on the frontstretch and the backstretch. With the way the entrance to pit road was configured on the old track, it was virtually impossible to win if you were unlucky enough to have your pit on the backstretch (what is now the Finish line).

[​IMG]

What a shame! What other old track had two nicknames? The Lady in Black and The Track Too Tough to Tame. All gone today. You won't find a ton of evidence anymore of what you see here.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  4. My father-in law, Paul Gose (The Ghost) raced at Kingsport Speedway in the mid-60s. Others that I remember racing there were Bill Morton, Buck Simmons, Tootle Estes, Gene Glover, Eddie France, Ken Hunley, Claude Lay, Sherman, Layman, and John A. Utsman. Really great racing!!!

5. .....I was there as well, Heap. I couldn't believe the amount of work they accomplished between the early race and when we came back in Sept. for the Fall race. The Sawyer Family always knew how to put on a good show for the fans.....Don.

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I was living in Portsmouth at that time and remember all the talk about having a track right at home. Lots of us were really disappointed that it didn't happen. If I remember correctly the group also wanted NASCAR to guarantee so many races and they couldn't or wouldn't. Richmond did turn out nice though.

7. lurch423

lurch423

talked to my dad he remembers your father in law more from the old track in johnson city sportsman speedway dad went to the very first race at kingsport still goes there today at 76 he actualy worked the wrecker there for a couple of years

8. The first race that I attended with the Ghost was at Sportsman Speedway in Johnson City in 1964 or 1965. That was a pretty exciting race track too! I remember racing against L.D. Ottinger there on a fairly regular basis. We also raced at other tracks that have been gone for years - Davy Crockett Speedway in Rogersville, Asheway Speedway (Cowpasture) near Knoxville and the Appalachian Speedway, also in Kingsport.

Buckshot40

9. I have searched and searched, guys, and am coming up short on this car, as well as any pictures of Mallory Speed Shop, Cline Automotive, or Hoehnes and Eanes. Man, those shops really are like ghosts. Gone without a trace. The best I've come up with is a mid-'60s NASCAR stocker that Mallory helped sponsor.

Also, 'Mo mentioned sprint car racing at a couple venues around the city. Our son's roommate at college is from Richmond. His grandfather used to work at City Stadium and thought he might have some pics of sprint car racing at the stadium. Stay tuned. I'll see what I can turn up.

In the meanwhile, sure would like to see that '55 C/MP car. Very, very competitive class.

[​IMG]

10. Occoneechee Speedway was one of the first two NASCAR tracks to open and is the only track remaining from the inaugural 1949 season. The site is now heavily forested in 40 year old pines and sycamores. Visible still are the grandstands which once held thousands of enthusiastic fans.

This site is one of only three race tracks on the National Register of Historic Places.

The track is a mile long and is nestled down in the woods in a development next to the historic town of Hillsborough, NC. It is now a park, and managed by the Eno River Association. The river runs on the backside of the track location, and there are numerous hiking trails through the site.

It is a spiritual place. Highly recommended. You need to go see it for yourself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  11. FEBCO

FEBCO

One more N.C. track not on the list is Moyock, N.C.....Grand National Races, which became known as Cup, ran there for a few years....the last one run there was won by Ned Jarrett, for you trivia buffs......

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

in the '60's i ran at a drag stripe near roanoke va. , do not remember the name . im sure its gone by now also ............. steve
    most of the tracks i ran out here are gone also . bummer !

13. Tacson

Tacson

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

15. There's more to the story on Occonneechee Speedway...it's another one that's come back to life. This time as a park with walking trails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A ways down in the woods is the site of the actual track. It's still there, but now a walking trail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The same place in 1964....

[​IMG]

16. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

17. Surfref32

Surfref32

This thread is great, I love the history. It clearly shows that motorsports is on the way out. How about making regular visits to your local tracks and bring friends with you! If you don't like the show or accommodations, tell the management. Maybe, just maybe we can keep this thing we love around a while longer.

Following my own advice, historic (1956) 3/8 mi red clay Sumter Speedway in Sumter, SC has new management and these people know how to keep fans entertained! The bathrooms are clean and the food is damn good too. http://www.sumterspeedway.com/ Bring the kids, grand kids, neighbors or whomever! They can always use your support. Yes I race there and yes I love the track!

Here's a link to the website for the Occoneechee Speedway mentioned above. Lots of great old pics there. http://www.historicspeedwaygroup.org/

18. What a great point. If we don't support these old, historic tracks, they will fail. That doesn't serve anybody's purpose. I'll post up a couple operating tracks that are nevertheless on the "endangered species" list. Go attend a race there. Go spend some money. Thanks for the reminder.

19. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

[​IMG]

PETE

Great thread Phartman!
    Of course we would be remiss if we left out the Louisa Drag Strip in Louisa,VA. If my memory seves me right it opened in 59 and closed around 65. The track was 1/5 mile and the shut down lane was maybe half that! The cars I think just out grew it, plus Eastside Speedway in Waynesboro opened around 65 which was a great 1/4 mile track, so that didnt help. Eastside BTW is still open and looks just like it did for the most part as it did in 65.
    On the way back from the Asphalt Angles Carshow in Richmond one year. The group of "old Timers" that I was Chauffeuring for asked me to go home via rt 33 so they could try to see where the old Louisa Drag Strip was. Well, sure enough we found it so I just drove on in. The land was for sale and the gate was open so...... Luckily I had my video camera with me. Pete, who was with us raced there for many years and he was like a kid walking around telling stories. When we left i pulled up on the old concrete launch pad and told Pete to hang on (With video rolling of course. I stood on it and down we went. He had a ball going down the 1/5th mi. for one last ride. He passed away about a year later. Something That I will always remember! Here are some pics. The vintage shots were taken by Alan Garletts and sent to me by his son Steff who is a HAMBer. I hope he dosent mind me sharing a couple. ENJOY
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  20. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

[​IMG]

This is Sheldon Early of Early's Cycle Center in Harrisonburg, VA. This bike is on display in his shop.

21. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

[​IMG]

22. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

[​IMG]

This is the very sign that is in the motorcycle photo

[​IMG]

23. Wow! That is great stuff. I knew that Willie Glass raced a flathead at Bonneville, but never realized he campaigned on the dragstrip. And if Willie was racing the likes of Hubert Platt, then he was no slouch! Thank you so much for posting. Just terrific.

And here's a pic of the Eastside (Waynesboro) dragstrip from the early days, previously posted on the HAMB.

[​IMG]

24. Hudson Drag Strip (Caldwell Co, NC)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  25. More from Hudson Drag Strip and the early days of Pro Mod racing before it was known as such....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Jackson (SC) Drag Strip- the "old" dragstrip. Here's the story:

Carolina Dragway is a 1/4 mile facility located in Jackson, SC. Carolina was built in 1957 by Junior Steed and family as Jackson Dragstrip to ease the ever growing problem of street racing.

Fast forward to 1985, Jackson Dragstrip was purchased by Jeff Miles Sr. and renamed Carolina Dragway. 1986 brought the first major improvement to the facility since it's inception. Concrete walls, new control tower, permanent restrooms and paved pit parking were just a few of the improvements made. Since 1986 over 3 million dollars has been spent to bring Carolina Dragway to "state of the art" status with improvements planned each and every year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Racer Bogan Renfroe was from Atlanta and campaigned the "Cat Skinner" Willys. Here's more on him:

http://www.georgiadragracing.com/articles/bogan-renfroe.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  27. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks for posting the Hudson Dragstrip pictures. It is the only track I have raced at that had the side of a mountain as the shutdown.

28. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Phartman,
    Actually that photo was taken at Richmond 1964. I have some old Eastside Photos. Ill stick one on here when I get a chance.

29. After reading this entire thread, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Robinwood Speedway It was a short,dirt oval in Gastonia NC, located on Robinwood Road (oddly enough !). The promoter was "Humpy" Wheeler, later to become well known @ Charlotte Motor Speedway. Lotsa local dirt-track heroes ran there. Bryant Wallace,Ervin Carpenter ran there for S&R Wrecker outta Charlotte.Bob & Doug Cooper, The Dimeo boys... There's an apartment complex there now @ Robinwood Rd & Hudson Blvd

30. Yes, I stand corrected. You can tell from the grandstand and the trees in the background (which are still there). Please post up some Eastside shots. That strip is largely unchanged, as is Richmond. Still just a country dragstriP, God bless 'em (with a very short shutdown area).