Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fading Thunder...Abandoned Racetracks in Virginia and the Carolinas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Thumper, you are Da MAN! Thanks for filling in the blanks here. I think the evolution was Fairystone to Log Cabin to Oak Level to Forked Mountain, but yes, it is all the same place....

I understand there was a Racer's Reunion there recently (April). Did you attend? Here's an article about it.

http://www.thefranklinnewspost.com/article.cfm?ID=18765

If you had a pic of your racecar, I'd love to see it. Post it up.

2. Thumper

Thumper

Ha-Ha !!!......how 'bout that shit..! I raced with Tony & Todd Arrington, Tony was the main driver and Todd owned the car. I built my own car partway thru the season out of a wrecked trade-in from the dealership. I wrenched on their car as well as my own. Tony actually won a race in '85 with his.....while I just putzed around from the middle to the back of the pack. I've got some pictures somewhere...I just have to find them.

I had no idea they had a racers reunion....so I wasn't there. I was an outsider (Georgia) so some of them 'ole boys wasn't real fond of me....:rolleyes:......first time there I unloaded my car off the trailer and a local guy spun me in the pits....LMAO....I knew I was in for a fun night...

3. Fightin' and racing. Yup, there was plenty of that going on back then. I remember a particularly athletic night at Madison-Mayodan Speedway long about that time....

I didn't know those Arringtons. I knew the "other" Arringtons: Chubby from Longwood Restaurant fame and Buddy from the Winston Cup.

And me, too, yes, I was a fish-out-of-water in Patrick County. City boy from North Carolina in a coat and tie. You can imagine how that went over in some circles. Lord, lord. But generally, I was welcomed wherever I went. Generally....

[​IMG]

4. Thumper

Thumper

Tony and Todd were Buddy's nephews if I recall correctly..

5. edweird

edweird

phartman, here is the article about the walterboro road course although its probaly to small to read.

Attached Files:

6. I tried to find a reprint of that R&T, was not successful, but found this article where the Walterboro track is mentioned. Here is the quotation:

We could drive our cars to the race and run them. Afterward, we would put the car back together and drive it home. There weren't many races we didn't get to. After we moved to North Carolina, I had an Austin Healy and Preston had a TR-3. I got acquainted with Hooper Johnson and the others over in Winston Salem . We were going to races in Walterboro, S.C. and Cumberland, Md.

And in case anybody wants to read the full article, here is the link:

http://www.virhistory.com/vir/people/founders.htm

It is from the Virginia International Raceway site about the earliest beginnings of the track, 1956. What is also fascinating in the article is the mention of hillclimb events at Grandfather Mountain, Pilot Mountain, and Chimney Rock. Never knew about any of that. I have a good friend who is involved heavily in the SCCA. I'll see if they have any info about that.

Thanks, Edweird, for the post. All great stuff.

And by-the-way, if you aren't familiar with North Carolina landmarks, Pilot Mountain is a beloved one. Just North of Winston-Salem, it is a distinctive peak on the Eastern slope of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

[​IMG]

But it is more widely known as "Mt. Pilot" in the Andy of Mayberry series. The next town up from the real Pilot Mountain is Mt. Airy, which is the hometown of Andy Griffith and served as the model for Mayberry in the series.

[​IMG]

7. And this photo from the Virginia International Raceway site about their inaugural race in 1957...and the winner is none other than Carroll Shelby!

[​IMG]

8. Here is a mention of the Walterboro course and another one at Chester from the N.C. SCCA website:

Meanwhile, to the south, regional races were being held at the airport courses in Walterboro and Chester, South Carolina, and at the new road racing track at Savannah ‑ Effingham.

Here is the link:

http://www.ncrscca.com/about-ncr-scca-region-55

9. Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  10. Ah yes, Sonny Hutchins...like Wild Willy Borsch, another legend famous for driving one-handed..If Sonny was driving his baby-blue steed with one-hand at Southside, you KNEW his set-up was perfect...his record at Southside was without peer and a huge fan favorite. They even named a section of the grandstands after him.

If any of you Richmonders soaked up suds at "The Hut" (across from Broad Sstreet Station), then you might know that the ever present, bearded owner behind the bar was none other than driving legend, Sonny Hutchins (mentioned in an earlier post).

11. lurch423

lurch423

good news for a old race track kingsport speedway reopend this year former nascar truck and cup driver robert pressley reopend the track track first opend in 65 raced to 02 reoped this year kingsport speedway is located in kingsport tn about 20mins from bristol track is doing good ive been racing there ill post a pic sorry car isnt hamb friendly lol

12. lurch423

lurch423

sorry heres the pic

Attached Files:

13. Great news, good to hear new about every old, abandoned track that comes back to life....here's a shot of the old track- know as Kingsport Raceway- that's a little more HAMB-friendly....

I suspect in those days, a ton of drivers from Southwest Virginia competed there, being so close to the Old Dominion.

[​IMG]

14. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

Just saw Lynchburg's Sonny Leonard has a new motor out, a 1005 ci hemi, and Hot Rod has an article about. He's come quite a ways from small engine repair back in the day.

15. Yes, indeed. Thank you for adding this post.

I want to turn shortly to guys like Sonny: Buddy Arrington's shop, Emmanuel Zervakis, Mallory Speed Shop, Hoehnes and Eanes, etc. The cast of supporting characters. There are a ton around. We'll try and find their old shops today and see what they look like.

Sonny was there from the beginning.

16. 'Mo

'Mo

Speaking of (Doug)Hoehnes and (Wayne)Eanes; Before their speed shop, they managed to capture both ends of the NHRA National class record with their Canary yellow '55 Chevy hardtop ("Outlaw"), among the first of the Modified Production cars ('60's). Competing in the hotly contested C/MP class, their records were better than those of the larger motored and/or lighter "B" class cars of the time.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  17. Dave, we need to go around and photograph these old shops. I'm not precisely sure where on the Boulevard it was. Same with Hoenes and Eanes on Chamberlain, I believe. I know where Cline moved to down on Willis Road. But never visited Emanuel Zervakis' shop on Hull Street.

Gotta get around to these places before they all disappear.

Especially those spots in Scott's Addition.

Lots to do....

18. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Great(and very saddening)pictures! I'm going to ask the local track guys(Wake County Speedway)if they know of any old tracks. I'd love to open up a circle track/dragway around here. It would be nice. :)

19. Bradley, that would be terrific. Wake County is a very old speedway. Here's an article about it:

http://dukechronicle.com/node/145398

It is nothing short of a miracle that Wake County escaped the bulldozers. Good to hear that it is still running.

I'm curious: Is Dunn/Benson Dragstrip still operating down the road from where you live, or is it shut down? Please let me know. Thanks.

[​IMG]

20. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Dunn/Benson went under last year and new owners bought it and refurbished it, it opened back up in January if I recall correctly. Still running strong, tons of people show up there. Wake County Speedway has been here forever, thanks for the article, I met a member of Kill Billet forum up there, apparently he owns a shop out front, really great guy, he's got some sweet projects. Also, Brewers Dragstrip up in Rocky Mount is still open and surviving. I should be able to get to the speedway next week and ask the guys. If ya need anymore info just let me know! Thanks, Bradley

21. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

If ya'll want NC tracks....tune in on Tuesday Nights on Racers Reunion's Stock Car Show -Racing Through History. Bobby Williamson has the 7:45 segment called the "Ghost Track Segment" he does the Carolina Tracks. Now if you want Ga history...tune into my Georgia Racing History Segment before Bobby's @7:30.

racersreunion.com Click on the radio button at 7 on Tuesday (we do have a live show every night though.) Anyway...the show has been number one for months now and we have thousands of listeners from all 50 states and 7 countries.

Sorry for the advertisement, but it does go along with the Ghost Tracks.

-Cody

22. Thanks, Cody. Here's a link to Bobby Williamson's website. Great stuff. Ghost circle tracks and dragstrips.

http://racersreunion.com/

23. U.K.ROADSTER

U.K.ROADSTER
    from Birmingham

Fantastic thread.

24. 'Mo

'Mo

A little more info on Moore's Speed Bowl (Scott's Addition.)

It was a paved CIRCLE TRACK (no straight-away) built on the old Moore's Field location (Richmond Colts Class "B" baseball) and hosted what I call "Jalopy" races. I was told that the likes of Ray Hendricks, Wendell Scott, Emanuel Zervakis, etc. would compete there, but I'm not sure.

According to Tom (Ballos), the track was popular until a rules change permitted V8's. After that, the regular field was no longer competitive, and as the racers declined so did the spectators. The track closed its doors around 1957.

Tom's dad raced a Mopar coupe with a Chrysler flathead six, and has pictures from the track. Maybe I can photograph a few.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  25. 'Mo, I've looked everywhere for a picture of Moore's Speed Bowl in Scott's Addition here in Richmond, and I'm coming up empty handed. Same on racing at City Stadium. Any pics you could get from Tom Ballos would be fantastic.

Best I came up with is a vintage shot of the old racetrack at the Strawberry Hill Fairgrounds, which was replaced by Richmond International Raceway. What those early days must have been like....

[​IMG]

When the Sawyer Family went to renovate the old track and demolish it, you'll recall they asked Richard Petty to man the bulldozer and tear up the old surface. It was said that he gladly complied since he hated the old track so much. That was February of 1988. The old Strawberry Hill racetrack here in Richmond, VA, RIP.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  26. rs57

rs57
    from oklahoma

they just torn down the grandstand at the oklahoma state fairgrounds guys raced there for years and i think some still had a deal to keep racing there. but they got bumped and down it went :(:confused:

27. Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  28. A postcard from the historical collection at Wilson Library at UNC showing the old Charlotte Speedway, which predates Lowe's:

[​IMG]

And here's a little blurb about it from the archives:

Curious about this predecessor to today’s Lowes Motor Speedway, I sleuthed around a bit to learn more about the track. What I found was perplexing: most sources described Charlotte Speedway as a dirt track built near the old airport in 1949, where stock car races were held. And yet, pictured here was an indy race on a wooden track, and the card appeared to be much older than 1949. I kept searching for traces of the speedway, to no avail. It seemed that maybe this indy track had been utterly forgotten here in stock car country.
    Months have passed since my initial investigation, but today while browsing the index to “The State” magazine, I spotted this listing: “First Speedway Race Track.” Though I expected this lead would end up yet another reference the 1949 stock car track, I had to give it a shot. When I opened that November 1979 issue, I saw it: an image of a wooden track identical to the one pictured in the postcard.
    Sure enough, there was another Charlotte Speedway built in Pineville in 1924, where indy races were held. According to the brief article by Bugs Barringer, the track was made of green pine two by fours, so that the wood would cure and shrink, allowing ventilation between the boards and preventing the tires from burning during races. Apparently a few stock car races were held at the track but, ironically, they attracted too few spectators to be profitable.

Frank Lockhart, record setter at the Charlotte track:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  29. I was there! It was right after the Winston Cup race, which at the time was the 2nd race of the season. The Sawyers had wanted to build a bigger track in the Hampton Roads area due to the large population, but the various cities couldn't agree on how to divide up the expenses. So Sawyer did it himself and had the track ready by Setember for the next race at "Richmond". The "old" track did need some improvements, but is was some of the best racin' I have ever seen!

30. Another historic track in its old configuration from a postcard. This time Bristol International Raceway. The track was reshaped in 1969, but this photograph clearly shows the old, original layout. Gone, gone, gone.

[​IMG]